What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smoking weed while pregnant?

love?

Mrs. Swamp (and everyone else who's said the same thing): The fact that your children turned out ok proves absolutely nothing. It's not like Thalidome made all babies into mutants either...

And I don't care what anyone does to their kids but please don't go around telling everyone that it's totally ok to smoke when you're pregnant without letting them know about the possible risks involved.

Also, the next time your kid doesn't seem quite as bright as the kid next door or whatever, don't forget to wonder whether or not it's because you had to alleviate your morning sickness with marijuana. :D

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mrs. Swamp (and everyone else who's said the same thing): The fact that your children turned out ok proves absolutely nothing. It's not like Thalidome made all babies into mutants either...

And I don't care what anyone does to their kids but please don't go around telling everyone that it's totally ok to smoke when you're pregnant without letting them know about the possible risks involved.

Also, the next time your kid doesn't seem quite as bright as the kid next door or whatever, don't forget to wonder whether or not it's because you had to alleviate your morning sickness with marijuana. :D

Nobody has said its okay, all I see ppl saying is its an individual choice and what their experiences are...there are risks in everything you do these days...from walking across the street to taking an aspirin or eating too much dairy...
What if your kid is brighter then the kid next door?..blame that on mj too?
So unfair to judge ppl.

love?

Yeah sorry I was a bit harsh. Did not mean to judge anyone. Like I say I don't really care what anyone does to their children.

But thoughts like that might be something you have to live with if you do choose to smoke while pregnant...

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That study just looks like more propaganda to me . Same thing we have been putting up with for years. More fear mongers. I say the proof is in the pudding. Read the post here ... see what really happens when moms use MJ :)

K

Kal-El

Pregnancy:
Does cannabis/THC do harm to the fetus if it is used during pregnancy?

Answers:

Institute of Medicine
Among the studies that have investigated the relationship between prenatal marijuana exposure and birth outcome, the results have been inconsistent. Except for adolescent mothers, there is little evidence that gestation is shorter in mothers who smoke marijuana. Several studies of women who smoked marijuana regularly during pregnancy show that they tend to give birth to lower weight babies. (...)
For most of these studies, much of the harms associated with marijuana use are consistent with those associated with tobacco use, and smoking is a significant factor so the contribution of cannabinoids cannot be confirmed. However, Jamaican women who use marijuana rarely smoke it, but instead prepare it as tea. In a study of neonates born to Jamaican women who either did or did not ingest marijuana during pregnancy, there was no difference in neurobehavioral assessments made at 3 days after birth and at one month. (...)
Since 1978, the Ottawa Prenatal Prospective Study has been measuring the cognitive functions of children born to mothers who smoked marijuana during pregnancy. (...) The children in the different marijuana exposure groups showed no lasting differences in global measures of intelligence such as language development, reading scores, and visual or perceptual tests. Moderate cognitive deficits were detectable among these children when they were four days old and again at four years, but these deficits were no longer apparent at five years. Prenatal marijuana exposure was not, however, without lasting impact. By comparison, at both ages 5-6 and 9-12, children in the same study who were prenatally exposed to tobacco smoke scored significantly lower on tests of language skills and cognitive functioning.
Joy JE, Watson SJ, Benson JA, eds. Marijuana and medicine: Assessing the science base. Institute of Medicine. Washington DC: National Academy Press, 1999.

Peter Fried
The consequences of prenatal exposure to cannabis are subtle. The impact during the course of pregnancy and upon the neonate appear to be considerably moderated by other risk factors with evidence from a number of cohorts suggesting mild effects upon fetal growth and central nervous system functioning. During the toddler stage, there is little evidence for a prenatal cannabis effect either upon growth or behavior. However, beyond the age of three, there are suggestive findings indicating a putative association between prenatal marihuana exposure and aspects of cognitive behavior that fall under the rubric of executive function. Particularly, the facets of this construct which appear impacted are the domains of attention/impulsivity and problem solving situations requiring integration and manipulation of basic visuoperceptual skills. Although there is a convergence of evidence, the very limited number of studies which have followed children beyond the age of three emphasizes the need for further, well controlled investigations in this area.
Fried P. Pregnancy. In: Grotenhermen F, Russo E, eds. Cannabis and cannabinoids. Pharmacology, toxicology, and therapeutic potential. Haworth Press, Bing-hamton/New York 2001, in press.

Franjo Grotenhermen
It is unlikely that cannabis causes embryonic or fetal malformations. There are inconsistent epidemiological data on its effect on birth weight. There is evidence of subtle disturbances of cerebral development resulting in cognitive impairment in offspring of cannabis users. Some scientists assume such disturbances exist, while others believe that cannabis exerts no relevant negative effects. Possibly subtle cognitive marijuana-related disorders might not be observed before preschool or school age.(...)
No influences on physical fetal development in children born to chronic cannabis users have been reported. Yet, as far as possible, cannabis should be avoided during pregnancy and in lactating women because of the controversial evidence for subtle disturbances of cognitive development.
Grotenhermen F. Review of unwanted actions of Cannabis and THC. In: Grotenhermen F, Russo E, eds. Cannabis and cannabinoids. Pharmacology, toxicology, and therapeutic potential. Haworth Press, Bing-hamton/New York 2001, in press.
Grotenhermen F. Practical hints. In: Grotenhermen F, Russo E, eds. Cannabis and cannabinoids. Pharmacology, toxicology, and therapeutic potential. Haworth Press, Bing-hamton/New York 2001, in press.

it is ok to smoke weed wen yer preg love wat r u tlkn bout tht is a false study....i read another study like 2 years ago that said that there were absolutely no dif in babies and in some cases babys had been mor devoloped yer reading into propaganda:joint::joint:get yer shit straight b4 u talk crap specially on icmag ,,,,:fsu: u dnt kno wat yer tlkn bout haha:laughing: n yea mybe it could be bad if you smoke like 5 blunts a day but so would eating 20 oranges a day everything has its probs in large quantities but no 1s that stupid.......

whiskeytango420

There is only one king, god picks em, hand pluckes
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Like I said, I smoked with both of my children, and they are both happy, intelligent, healthy children....but to each their own. The cannabis helped me with the terrible morning sickness that I had, but with my second child, I quit 45 days before delivery because in my state, since my first child, they passed a law and they test the baby for THC (among other drugs), and if you fail, then you have the Department of Children and Families all up in your business.
:wallbash:f.u.c.k.i.n.g HATE it here in FL!!!!!
Yeah sorry I was a bit harsh. Did not mean to judge anyone. Like I say I don't really care what anyone does to their children.

But thoughts like that might be something you have to live with if you do choose to smoke while pregnant...
My wife and I will GLADLY take that risk as opposed to the alternatives...Compazine HAS BEEN PROVEN to cause birth defects, yet it is still being pushed on many a preggo, as well as opiates for pain. My wife got prescribed percocet 5mg 5 times a day for her teeth hurting from calcium loss... NO THANKS! We got some Calcium chewies from the organic market here, and an occasional vrip calms her much better. The ONLY PROVEN damage that has been caused is from SMOKING. Cannabis, cigarettes, shit, even sage or cloves. Combustible products and fuel are harmful to babies to be. Cannabinoids are produced in human mothers milk without any help to aid in appetite and sleep...coincidence?
That study just looks like more propaganda to me . Same thing we have been putting up with for years. More fear mongers. I say the proof is in the pudding. Read the post here ... see what really happens when moms use MJ :)
:yeahthats:yeahthats
Either way ya cut it, no one is gonna convince me that mj is harmful,... calm me blind, Ill call you a sheep:2cents:
good vibes

ROJO145

Veteran
When did this turn into a debate?ANYONE who thinks ANYKIND of smoke is OK to force on a developing fetus is a fucking moron!!!
I said it and I dont care who takes offense.....IT IS NOT OK NOR ADVISABLE TO SMOKE ANYTHING WHILE PREGNANT......Christ,ya mean I actually have to fucking say this!!!!!I dont need a study,I dont need research,(altho low birth rates in smokers,etc etc)There have been enuf VALID good studies to were this shouldnt even be a topic,get fucking real people.
ITS A DEVELOPING FETUS(IT EATS AND SMOKES WHAT YOU DO)
best advice...........DONT SMOKE PREGNANT!!!!!
BIG UPS To YOU LOVE?
That being said,again......I know plenty of people who do and did........Lets not sit here acting like its all ok just because we got lucky!!!!

Yeah,LOL......call the studies propoganda!!!!Marijuana smoke is good for fetus's!!!!Too Much

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
QUIETLY walk away. Using drugs when you are pregnant is an easy - dare I say "common sense" - call, but one of the other posters pointed out that shooting the messenger is an easy way out of a tough choice.

You could be a dealer as far as they are concerned, but you don't have to be the enabler who they will blame when the child is born with autism or some other birth defect. Don't kid yourself for a second, if the child doesn't turn out to be perfect, there will be a permanent and bitter edge of resentment because they will not take responsibility for their own conduct.

By walking away quietly, you are not creating a fuss about it and you are not necessarily making a judgment. You need to handle this very delicately...

Definitely a two-cent rant. My apologies for posting in the Women's Forum without first obtaining written permission (stamped by the site mods - all of the female ones!) and completed in triplicate. I'll do that next time.
:p

BUDOGHI

Anyone who needs to ask the question is it alright to smoke pot while pregnant is not ready to have a family. Sounds very selfish. The first nine months will set the child up for the rest of its life. Don't take that chance because if any thing goes wrong you'll always wonder if it was because of the pot.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
These forums are for discussion....hopefully respectful ones. What is up with people screaming and swearing over other people's opinions? For or against...people are just trying to help out by sharing personal stories or information they have read. Studies go both ways on this topic and all you can do is read as much as you can and form your own opinion. This was a peaceful discussion at first....what happened? Why are people doing this name calling and disrespectful badgering of other IC members? Calm down and contribute your ideas nicely....I'm sure they're very welcomed. People are here for advice sometimes....damn. :dueling:

Vorsprung

studies have shown smoking during pregnancy (UK did study on morning sickness and it worked great) did no harm to the baby.

studies have shown smoking while breast feeding, do no harm to the baby. Actually a large study done with Jamaican (ya mon!) mothers showed the babies with mothers who smoked while breast feeding generally developed to have better disposition, coordination, and overall health.

my wife didn't smoke while pregnant (better safe than sorry) but she did moderately (once, twice a week) while breast feeding. both our children are off the charts great... SO FAR. LOL.

Let's put it this way, between a diet containing large amounts of high-fructose corn syrup (i.e. most american diets), smoking cigs, drinking alcohol or smoking cannabis... well.. I think we all know the answer. None is probably safest.. but if you had to pick one, cannabis hands down safest.

Vorsprung

Either way ya cut it, no one is gonna convince me that mj is harmful,... calm me blind, Ill call you a sheep:2cents:
good vibes

couldn't agree more. man evolved with cannabis for thousands of years. 70 years of bullshit propaganda does not make it unhealthy. as you stated, cannabinoid receptors in the brain are there for a reason.

some are here for the love, some are here for the money. some understand the natural gift, others abuse it.

trouble

Veteran
Somking weed during pregnancy isn't going to cause the fetus to grow 3 heads. However, smoking anything during pregnancy deprives the fetus of much needed oxygen and can cause the baby to be born small in both weight & length.

And smaller babies run a much higher risk of other problems after birth, such as infections, severe jaundice, breathing problems, low blood suger, bleeding into the brain, trouble with vision, ect. ect.

I feel confident that all good OBGYN's would highly recommend to their patients not to smoke anything during pergnancy.

KeifCheif

there will always be a risk of a unhealthy baby, so u can never pin a negative birth defect on canna. smoking weed wile preg is ok in my book.

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
The elimination of as many toxins as possible will only help the infant.(and mother)

Pretty amazing that some on here are actually suggesting that a mother do drugs while pregnant and call it beneficial. WOW !!

No wonder the world is so screwed up.:fsu:

JQP

This is funny because my kids all all grown now, but my wife used to smoke a lot more weed than me. She cut down during pregnancies, like she wouldn't do as much daily as "normal." Kids are 25, 28 and 31, all great people, all doing well. My two younger ones smoke weed like I did when I was their age, the older one doesn't smoke at all now. Wife quit at least a decade ago, and I'm sure would suggest not to smoke anything while pregnant OR nursing. She is a strong believer in nursing too, nursed all our boys.

What I love about this woman is that she doesn't hassle me about doing weed, and in fact on a very tight budget lets me build a grow closet, and then with her advanced green thumb, helps me with my plants! What a woman eh? :woohoo:

JQ

Sorry, but I would never ever smoke while pregnant. When I get pregnant (soon, very soon), I will be SOBER for a LONG TIME! It will def suck, but I want the BEST for my kid. My choice :)
--
TB4U

Tony Danza

It's funny how everywhere else on this site Marijuana is a harmless/beneficial personal choice. But If you are pregnant, it's everybody's job to tell you what to do, and you are a selfish idiot if you don't comply.

Without MJ, my daughter would have been denied the nutrition she needed as a fetus. My wife's morning sickness lasted all day, for all nine months, marijuana was the only thing that helped her keep food down. It's debatable whether weed can harm the fetus, it is not debatable that starvation of the mother harms the fetus (and the mother...don't forget her.) Don't try to tell my wife that my baby had a small head. And of course, she is perfectly healthy and performing well in her development. Just like my wife did, who's mom also smoked weed while pregnant. Anybody who lives in a twentieth century city or farm community threw purity out the window a long time ago anyway.

And we all need to take a step back with our pregnancy studies. They are all flawed, no matter which side they support. Never in history has someone conducted a pregnancy study with a control. Since you can't force pregnant women to/not to smoke pot, you can only study self-selected groups. Pot smokers have a different demographic than non-pot smokers so results will always differ between groups regardless if the marijuana is causing it, who knows, maybe the small heads were from all the organic food. I'm kidding, but you get my point.

I think the idea of a necessary purity of the expectant mother is demeaning, as if she should be happy to endure any level misery or discomfort to preserve the purity of the womb. Too much in our society is the pregnant women treated only as vessel for the new life and the human being that she is. It was as if my wife had a sign on her back that read "You need to tell me what to do, I can't do it for myself."

And I'm pretty positive that it was the weed that made my little girl the cutest one ever. So there!