What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In Search Of: Monkey Paw

Status
Not open for further replies.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been trying to find out some information about this for quite some time now.

First of all, thanks to all those that have been PM'ing, helping me look for and find information regarding this strain, I know that it hasn't been the easiest; you all know who you are. I will share your information but not your names; just outta respect for ANY possible information that you may have wanted to remain within the PM system.

I started this hunt with a thread titled "Bananna Weed...????" If you care to look and see what developed, feel free, if not, you are not missing much.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82735&page=1&pp=15

To be completely honest...I was calling it "Monkey Shit" at first. However, I knew this wasn't the name because I was just calling it that b/c I couldn't remember...remember it being called "Monkey _______". :badday: :fsu:

When cesartime posted about "Monkey Paw", every light and bell went off in my head (the few I have left), and I knew I had started moving the right direction. The location (Midwest) was also where I had my chance encounter. So I know for a fact, "Monkey Paw" is what I am searching for.

This is the up-to-date collective:

- "What would you like to know about the monkeypaw? Unfourtanetly I didnt get cuts of the plant while i was around, this was in the great lakes area. It was a dense budded, medium green colored, with plenty of red colored hairs, and a delicious sweet smell, and a covering of trichs that looks like glaze.

I beleive it is a under 70 day strain, mostly indica makeup, thats about i can come up with offhand."

- "I wouldnt mind helping to track down the cut, as it was pretty ultra-dank.

But the cut im referring to floats around the detroit area, but how do you intend on going on the hunt/obtaining for the cut?

I deal with a guy who secondhand knows a group who holds the paw, but they were kinda reluctant to get off of a clone at the time i put in a bid. I dunno how their situation may have changed, but I think ill have better luck finding a ultra strain amongst the other local yokals in the area.

let me know what i can do if anything, i wouldnt mind adding it to my arsenal one day, just now i dont see how.

good luck."

Another wonderful find by someone was that others have been searching too. None of the following was originally posted by me. I have only asked around the ICM forums. The following was copied from a different forum, being discussed by several posters:

- "Monkey paw?????
Just wondering if anybody has heard of this and know what it is. I remember enjoying some in the early 80's.I just remember it being the darkest and dankest bud ever and sitting on the couch for hours wating to come down
buddies and I have kicked it around and haven't a clue as to wear it came from or the land race it was derived from.Just thought I would put it out there for others to kick around."

- "have heard of it but I thought it was called monkey pop but the guy who told me this was a yankee and I might have misunder stood him. I think it must be a detriot or MI strain. never seen it in the south."

- "Well ********** were on the right track cause thats where I was when I lit it up."

- "Monkey Paw came from Oakland Co. MI...north of Detroit. Multiple growers had it in the late 80's into the early 90's. But, most were very young and dumb and let all the clones and mothers die off or get weeded out by more competition from other strains like Super Skunk, White Widow, and ISS. The last known person in the area, years ago, would pull 1-2 hundred Monkey Paw seeds from the freezer constantly to show them off to friends. Well, those seeds were tried years back with no germination from not even one seed.

Now everyone has grown up and moved on. I don't think any of those strain are around that area anymore, but I can't say that I ever go out there anymore to look anyway. Just a bunch of old memories."

- "Thanks *******, well sorry to here its at an end. I feel it was a much better than WW and skunk.

- "Monkey Paw was actually stolen from a basement room of a very trusting individual(weren't we all back then). As I was told first hand: The owner of the house fell asleep after burning a fat one of the super couch lock Monkey Paw. The person who stole it found a room of rooted clones unlocked while looking for the bathroom. He said there were 20+ clones there and just grabbed one real quick and walked out the door and drove home. The clone was subsequently vegged, cloned, and flowered. It kicked our ass so it was cloned the hell out of and passed out to everyone. It was cloned so much that it made it to the 10th generation of clones in a short amount of time. Well the nickname of "10th Gen" got passed around for a while until the originator released its name. He said he knew that the clone was stolen and who stole it, but was not mad in the least. He told us it was called "Monkey Paw", because of the resemblance to a monkey paw when grown."

- "monkey paw was originally a strain from hawaii in the 70's. maybe the michigan one was a different strain.

here's something from the overgrow archives cached on google:

"From what I remember about the Hawaiian strains... The Monkey Paw was a sativa that had 'finger' size, medium density, green buds with orange/red hairs, and a heavy,sweet aroma. The buzz was viberant and colorful." "

The last of these posts was made in Feb of 2006.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My description of the ounce I saw in Oct/Nov of 2006...that's right, it is still around.

I met a fellow while in the Midwest that was kinda open about being a runner. I know for a fact, he made trips to the Det. area. He wasn't coming off any he had...and by look/smell (and his greediness...lol), I know it was some serious dope. (made his top 5) The things I miss out on...man!!! I guess that is part of my big awe with it; just some really unique and proper dope.

The ounce, filled roughly just over half...3/5? a basic canning jar; very tight, compact, dense nuggets...kinda like oversized popcornish...opened the jar and instantly smelt banana...strong, overwhelming banana overtones with a soft, light nutty undertone (almond/hazelnut) with the sharp, sting your nose smell of THC...not really green/fresh/earthy/dank smelling. The nuggets were heavily frosted (almost looked like it had been glazed lol) with not kidding...a yellowish hew to the crystals (didn't looked ambered over from a late harvest, looked like a clear yellow topaz)...beautiful. Very funny looking bud. Kinda a yellowish/golden/tanish to medium green leaf with plenty and I mean plenty of red hairs.

Well there you have it... ANYONE that has anything extra to add or that knows something about this strain and its lineage....please chime in.

dank.Frank

Last edited:
yup. I live in O.C MI. So I'm hoping that maybe a chat with some older fellows will lead me towards this strain. There are a lot of growers in this area so im sure someone knows whats up.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man, that would be awesome if you could find some more in-depth information. Anything, Anything at all!!!!

G

I remember the name too, in the late seventies/early eighties..... Wow. I thought it was a Thai thing...... This makes me want to get in on the search, as well.

Last edited:

neongreen

Veteran
dank.frank said:
The last known person in the area, years ago, would pull 1-2 hundred Monkey Paw seeds from the freezer constantly to show them off to friends. Well, those seeds were tried years back with no germination from not even one seed.

What an idiot! Not surprising that none germinated if he was constantly taking them out of the freezer :laughing:

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
hehehe...yeah, I remember Monkeypaw from the 80s in Detroit. It was one of the better commercial smokes going around at that time. That, some KILLER Thai that blew my mind, and the oldschool stanky Skunk.
It's my recollection (hazy at best, so take it for what it's worth) that it was called that because "the buds are shaped like a monkey's paw" (this is what a dealer once told me....so again, take it for what it's worth)
looking back on that statement with what I know now, that sounds like it might be describing some foxtailing of the buds. That kind of meshes with my recollection that it was a smoke that leaned toward the sativery side.
These are just my rememberances and thoughts of a hard partying time long past, but I hope it helps.
good luck in your quest for the paw

cc

Derty

monkey paw and colombian

monkey paw and colombian

Back in the late seventies early eighties I can remember smoking Monkey Paw :joint: A buddy of mine would pick it up in the Detroit area and bring it to northern mich. It was far and away the best smoke of that era. Just 2 hits off a little pinner and I would be completely wasted. Very overwhelming high almost like tripping on acid.
During that time our smoke came from a place they called the warehouse in Detroit. This is where my buddy would pick up our weed from. All Colombian type strains. This group of smugglers had whole planeloads of weed flown in from Colombia to Traverse City Then shipped by trucks to the warehouse in Detroit. During this time period we would also get Monkey Paw. My friend said that it came from the warehouse, maybe not. I did'nt know that people were growing it locally. :joint: btw very nice thread hope that the mysterious monkey paw can be found again peace Derty

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cooked cook said:
hehehe...yeah, I remember Monkeypaw from the 80s in Detroit. It was one of the better commercial smokes going around at that time. That, some KILLER Thai that blew my mind, and the oldschool stanky Skunk.
It's my recollection (hazy at best, so take it for what it's worth) that it was called that because "the buds are shaped like a monkey's paw" (this is what a dealer once told me....so again, take it for what it's worth)

looking back on that statement with what I know now, that sounds like it might be describing some foxtailing of the buds. That kind of meshes with my recollection that it was a smoke that leaned toward the sativery side.
These are just my rememberances and thoughts of a hard partying time long past, but I hope it helps.
good luck in your quest for the paw

cc

Yes, I have heard and posted that it was b/c of the way the plant grew in resemblance to a monkey's paw:

Speculations:

My frist thought was a 5 bladed fan leaf (would that indicate more sativa traits or indica???), like five fingers on a monkey paw...but the other thought that crossed my mind was the bud formation, which I saw, and could be compared to the short, stubby fingers of a monkey(rather than oversized popcornish, as I described it myself). Others here have posted maybe HI and others say maybe Thai or maybe Colombian....all these suggest a tall lanky sativa...which could possibly suggest some foxtailing...maybe??? (we all know a sativa that tails-out is a performer)

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a bump...and a bit of an update. I was looking through the forums and found that BOG (BushyOldGrower) who many people respect, had crossed paths with Monkey Paw at one point, and some how I had managed to miss a picture he had posted in his archive. Just thought those interested might want to see.

http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/57Dscn1998.jpg

.♠.

Wow, that bud does look like a dried up monkey paw.

Kinda creepy actually. lol.

Hope you guys find her.

Peace

G

sorry dank

I remember hearing the name way back then. Never got to smoke any.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, still looking...would love to find it....I think it is a shame that things get lost in the wash...

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Yup, a Great Lakes area 70;s and 80's thing. Before Green Buds came on the scene. I always assumed it was Thai, but we did not pay as much attention to strain names back then.

Monkey Paw was killah....!

The "Rushman" monkey paw seed run is underway. Three seeds were started. So far there is one powerful grower (mp#1) she/he has purple in those fat jaged shinny leaves. The second has much thinner light green leaves and has auto topped itself. This one is a stinker in veg. The third is light green with thinner leaves just like monkey paw #2. The plan is to make pure monkey paw beans and do a monkey paw (drawoh) chocolate Thai f3 cross. From what rushman told me the mp is a landrace strain that is also known as nam weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts