What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cyber-Bullying.....

supermanlives

Veteran
if your a guy getting bullied on the net . you might wanna reach down and make sure you got a pair still. referr all wanna be bullies to superman.i love wannna be toughguys.

Skip

Veteran
There are now ways to deal with Cyberbullies. I've had two recently harass me thru email (from another website). One even made several physical threats (all cause his spam post advertising his new book, got deleted, LOL!) I simply pointed out to them that cyberbullying was now illegal (in the US, Canada and I think UK), and that they could get into a lot of trouble.

I never heard from either of them again!

Emails are solid proof of bullying as are public posts on forums. Plus an email can be tracked back to the poster much easier than forum posts.

So if you EVER get cyberbullied, just remind them that their acts are illegal and they could be prosecuted for bullying, even if you're an adult. This isn't just about kids. It's about making the Internet a more congenial, safe place for everyone.

Great thread Gypsy and DG!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I don't like either ..mountain dew rules....cyber bullying haha ...cyber annoyance at best....for some reason no one tries to bully me..i feel left out ...lol.....YEEHAW

SoufLondon

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ronan-hughes-tragic-suicide-teen-5855005

Ronan Hughes was found dead on Friday after the 17-year-old took his own life following reports he had uploaded images of himself to the internet.

According to the Northern Irish teen's head teacher, the death was more than just a case of online bullying.

Geraldine Donnelly, principal of St Joseph's school in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, said: "This is something different and even more sinister than online or cyber bullying and I think it's important that message gets out to young people and gets out to parents and gets out to teachers," she said.

"What we're possibly looking at is some international element, of Ronan having been targeted from abroad purely to extort and blackmail him for money."

Investigating officers have admitted blackmailing is "a definite line of inquiry".

VIEW GALLERY 

At his funeral this morning, Fr Benny Fee slammed those responsible as mourners shed tears over the death of the young man.

Fr Fee said: "Ronan did not take his own life but his life was taken from him, and somewhere in the world, maybe far, far away from Clonoe, is a man, a woman or a gang who are guilty of a heinous crime.

"People took advantage of his youth and his beauty. They exploited him and they broke him. And if they could do it to him, they could do it to anyone. May God forgive them."

It is understood the young man had told his parents about being a victim of cyber-bullying and had made a complaint to police.

Superintendent Mike Baird, from the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said: "Our enquiries into this tragedy are continuing, however, it is understood the schoolboy took his own life after he had been tricked into posting images on a social networking site."

Parish priest Fr Fee said the close-knit rural community had been left stunned and blamed "faceless individuals" for intimidating the teenager.

Fr Fee said: "It is a total and absolute tragedy but it is a different kind of tragedy because there is an element of cyber-crime involved.

"It would frighten any of us how children can be the victim of these faceless individuals.

"These people had something that they were using as a lever to frighten the child.

"But he had told his parents and they went to the police. It is just so tragic that these faceless people have robbed a family and community of a much loved child."

Meanwhile, police have issued a warning for young people to stay safe online.

Superintendent Baird said: "Police are continuing to liaise with a number of statutory bodies and community representatives.

"Officers have spoken to pupils at a school in the area and offered advice regarding safe internet use and any type of virtual interaction including social media sites, chatrooms and through interactive games.

"If anyone has experienced anything of a similar nature or has received any inappropriate images or links, it is important that they contact police or tell a trusted adult.

"By doing this you will be helping prevent further such incidents. You will not get into trouble.

"We all deserve to be able to use the internet to learn, explore and connect with each other. But all of us need to be aware of the risks involved in doing so, especially on social media."

Definitely becoming more of a problem as kids spend an increasing amount of their lives "online".

Very sad story.