What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to feed hydro seedlings

Mtez44

This may seem like a silly question but I can't find it anywhere.

I have read that feeding seedlings with 1/4 strength nute mix after baby leaves die off is ok. Is this correct?

If so, how? The seedlings are about 10 days old now and in the 5 gal gal DWC buckets with clay pebbles. They were started in coco jiffy plugs or whatever they are called. Should I just put the 1/4 strength nute mix in a spray bottle and spray the pebbles every few waterings?

Thanks for your help

B

bigganjabud

If they only ten days mate they should have had a few more days to shoot out some more roots I rekon spray em and hand water with a lot of roots help the next 5 weeks

Mtez44

If I water roughly three times a week or every 2 days should every 3rd be a feeding? Basically once a week?

Is there a schedule you recommend? Obviously I would watch the plants closely and look for signs.

Mtez44

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 16
B

bigganjabud

Not sure what to say man DWC ain't my speciality if I'm honest man I'm in droppers but it can't be that different just keep an eye on roots at the bottom

Ideally lift the net pot out and dunk the bottom of the pot in the roots water and hopefully that'll convince em to search downwards ya see

Mtez44

Ok, good idea. I will try that. The tap root had already broken out of the bottoms of the jiffy plug before I put them into the net pots.

I have read that feeding seedlings with 1/4 strength nute mix after baby leaves die off is ok. Is this correct?

If so, how? The seedlings are about 10 days old now and in the 5 gal gal DWC buckets with clay pebbles. They were started in coco jiffy plugs or whatever they are called. Should I just put the 1/4 strength nute mix in a spray bottle and spray the pebbles every few waterings?

Thanks for your help

The water in the buckets should touch the bottom of the netpot the whole time , there will be some capillary action thanks to the clay pebbles , that will keep everything wet , sooner or later the roots will come out , instead of a strength , base your nutrients on ppms , and for seedlings , I would start with 300 ppms on the .5 scale , good luck . FSG.

Mtez44

Ok that makes sense for the watering however I'm still unsure how often should I be giving it nutes. And Do I do it in the same fashion as how I'm watering? Change it back to water after a day?

Goats

should be fine where it is. the roots will take a few days to reach the reservoir, so you can topfeed whenever the rockwool starts to get too dry. just keep it wet, but not dripping. after a few days you can check the bottom of the netpot to see if the roots have made their way down yet.

good luck :tiphat:

Mtez44

TY Goats.

Just to be clear are you saying every time I water to keep the coir(not rockwool) moist it should also be a feeding?

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
This should help to answer this question.

These seedlings where started in an aeroponic unit. The first 7-8 days the pump ran 24/7, then it was placed on a recycling timer. I use about 1/2 strength with nutrient solution around 400-500ppm with full strength being in the 800-900ppm range.

Right after transplanting

picture.php

24 hours after transplanting

picture.php

Day 7 - You can start to see that they are now starting to need bit stronger nutrient solution.

picture.php

Day 11

picture.php

Day 15

picture.php

Hey bro this is what I do ,Following the paper towel method , I allow my seedlings to grow about 2 1/2 inches including taproot , then I carefully place said seedlings inside a 2 inch netcup filled with the smaller sized clay balls . I try to place the seedling in the middle with the balls surrounding it and the top barely emerging past the clay balls, . The plant will go thru it's life cycle on that 2 inch netcup , IMO anything bigger is just a waste , plus the roots take too long to reach the water , and there's more of a chance of gnats getting inside the water , I go as far as taping the top of my netcup with foil tape , good luck , FSG.

Easy7

Veteran
Pit the seedlings in a humidity dome or under some clear beer cups with airholes at too and bottom.

Seedlings need moisture to take in the leaf. After they have roots in the rez take away the humidity domes.

Mtez44

Ok great, that is another great tip and I will definitely do that.

However I am still looking to answer my original question. Is top feeding with a spray bottle ok and if so how often?

Ok great, that is another great tip and I will definitely do that.

However I am still looking to answer my original question. Is top feeding with a spray bottle ok and if so how often?

The whole top feeding isn't necessary like I said , as long as the netpot is a little submerged in the water with fertilizer in it , the water will rise. I go as far as almost. going all the way to the top with the water , it's DWC and if it's got bubbles going it'll be fine , good luck , FSG.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
TY Goats.

Just to be clear are you saying every time I water to keep the coir(not rockwool) moist it should also be a feeding?
Mix up the reservoir, to the specs FakeSunGrower mentioned. Keep the water level to the bottom of the basket, so the bottom of the jiffy cube stays damp.

Once or twice a day, scoop up some of the nutrient solution and pour it through the jiffy cube to keep the top of it damp. Once enough roots grow out the bottom of the net pot, Stop watering by hand. Slowly drop the reservoir level. Eventually you'll have plenty of roots to reach a lowered reservoir level. The jiffy pellet will dry out and have served it's purpose.

WeGrowWhoWeAre

Thanks for your help

As soon as i see true leaves i start to feed 1/4 strength food otherwise they stall. I grow in loose rockwool either crouton or loose wool.

I’ve been keeping enough water in my tray to keep the very bottoms of them covered in water and nothing more. Seems to be enough water for them.