What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not Just Another First PPK Grow Thread

tilopa

Ok so I lied, this is just another first ppk grow thread. I'm shamelessly trying to lure people in with that title so I can get help and feedback on my first grow.

I came across ppk recently and am very excited about this system and anxious to getting started in it. I have not grown in a while as I lost my space, but when I did, it was a very basic coco/soil in smart pots hand watered system. So the ppk will be very different for me. I've done a bunch of research over the past week, but feel I need some advice on some specific areas.

I was able to build a shed just for growing that has the following dimensions:

10x10 flower room
4x10 veg room
4x10 entrance way that seperates the two rooms, where I have power and water etc.
9 foot ceilings.
I opted not to put in a wood floor and just left the level ground as my floor with pea gravel and rocks covering it.

Here is a list of my planned materials and basic setup:

- 5 gallon buckets stacked for flowering, and last stage of veg.
- 2 or 3 gallon buckets for pre-veg stage after clones.
- Turface for media, the larger sized rocks. They have ones that are like the size of a pea, but I'm feeling the larger ones give better aeration.
- 2 55 gallon pickle barrels for the flower volume res.
- 1 55 gallon pickle barrel for the veg volume res.
- 2 27 gallon black and yellow totes for the control res.
- For the veg I'm thinking of 12 gallon black and yellow totes with the 3 gallon buckets on top.
- 4 1k HPS DE lights for the flower room.
- 2 315w LEC/CMH lights for veg - along withe some t-5s for clones and maybe the pre-veg.
- Jack's nutrients - still not sure about nutes for the veg.
- Tap water that has a simple chlorine filter.

The rest of the materials will be just as D9 uses, so I won't list all the types of pumps and hoses etc.

The part of the ppk grow that I am the most in the dark about is the Veg setup. I've come to believe that the veg stage (including clones/propagation) is the most important part of a grow. If the plants go through the clone to end-of-veg stage in optimal health, then the flowering is easy, imo. I need to re-read through D9's description of his veg. But here is my idea of how to setup the veg room, and please let me know where I'm going astray.

I will have 3 stations basically, a clone/seedling prorogation station, a pre-veg station, where I will have plants newly transplanted from clones in 2-3 gallon containers, and the full veg station, where I will have plants in their final 5 gallon buckets so I won't have to transplant to flowering.

One thing I really like about the idea of fewer plants in flower is that it allows me to play with more strain varieties in veg, and choose only the best healthiest plants for flowering. I can veg out 30 plants but will only be choosing the best 4 or 8 for flowering.

My main question is how to do the pre-veg with the 3 gallon buckets. Here is what I plan to do based on what I gathered from D9's posts:

Take a 12 gallon tote, which will host 2 3-gallon buckets.
Cut holes in the tote so that the bucket just fit at the bottom and the tail piece will be hanging down inside the tote.

- what should be the air gap here?

The 185GPH pump will be inside the tote feeding the 2 buckets.
There will be a larger tote used for the control res somewhere in the room with a float valve in it.

- what kind of nutes and ppm should be used?

So, the pump inside the res tote is set to fire every 90 minutes for a 15 second burst, feeding the plants sitting on top of the tote via a halo? As the water level goes down when the pumps fire fresh water from the control res is gravity fed through tubes to the plant tote. And the float valve in the control res brings in fresh nutes from the volume res.

Do I have it about right?
Am I missing anything?

Attachments

• veg.jpg
    veg.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 21

tilopa

What is this larger sized turface that you speak of?

Actually, I think the larger sized particles are probably the standard size that everyone uses. I was referring to this product,
which states it has larger size particles.

https://www.turface.com/products/infield-conditioners/mvp

And I thought it would be bigger than this stuff being sold on Amazon:

But now I'm realizing that it's probably the same thing.

Wondering why people don't use hydroton any more.

Attachments

• 813OeJqzunL._SL1500_.jpg
    813OeJqzunL._SL1500_.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 10

zeke99

I think people DO use hydroton, but especially with the introduction of coir, there are simply more choices.

My GUESS would be that hydroton does not wick strongly enough for usage in a PPK.

tilopa

My GUESS would be that hydroton does not wick strongly enough for usage in a PPK.

Right, that makes sense. So do you think I'm good with the size turface in the picture with the quarter? Adequate wicking, but also good drainage?

You can use jacks for both veg and flower , I'd like the add that you can raise the ppms in veg up to full shtrength (600 ppm recommended on .5 scale ) and maybe more and don't suffer from any deficiencies, it works the other way too by lowering ppms down to say 200 they really stall and start showing deficiencies. Also with those 1k de some strains will need more than 600 ppms in flower so adjust accordingly. Good luck !!! FSG.

Start with 300 ppms total for a week to avoid stall and full strength after that but this can all vary depending on you strain and environments , good luck , FSG

tilopa

Veg Room

Veg Room

So, I'm finally ready to start. I've got all my gear (well most), and room setup pretty well, and I've acquired a few clones.

My veg room is pretty small at 4x10. It's a bit cramped but I think I can make it work.

I'll have my beginning veg plants on one side:

And final veg on the other. I'll need to figure out where to put my portable swamp cooler.

Final veg will be in the same pots and setup as the flower stage.

These are the clones, a few Sour Tangie, Sour Patch Kids, Chemdog #4, Chocolate Hashberry, and Birthday Cake

My plan is to veg 6 plants every 2 weeks. This might get to be to much for my small operation but my intention is to find a really bomber strain.

For the pre-veg (or first 4 weeks or so), the plants will be in 2.5 qt buckets filled with turface. Setup like this:

The 6 plants will first go in the tote with 6 spaces, and then when the get a little bigger (after about 2 weeks) they will go in the 2 totes with 3 spaces.

The tail piece is 1.5" diameter. The totes are 14" high. If I use a 7" water level, that only leaves 7 inches to the bottom of the bucket. Delta9 said he used a 5" air gap, so if I did the same the tail piece would only be 2 inches long. Is that long enough of a tail piece?

Attachments

• image000001 (2).jpg
    image000001 (2).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image000000 (4).jpg
    image000000 (4).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 15
  • imagex4.jpg
    imagex4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 14
  • imagex2.jpg
    imagex2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 11
So, I'm finally ready to start. I've got all my gear (well most), and room setup pretty well, and I've acquired a few clones.

My veg room is pretty small at 4x10. It's a bit cramped but I think I can make it work.

I'll have my beginning veg plants on one side:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=427077&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

And final veg on the other. I'll need to figure out where to put my portable swamp cooler.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=427078&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Final veg will be in the same pots and setup as the flower stage.

These are the clones, a few Sour Tangie, Sour Patch Kids, Chemdog #4, Chocolate Hashberry, and Birthday Cake

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=427079&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

My plan is to veg 6 plants every 2 weeks. This might get to be to much for my small operation but my intention is to find a really bomber strain.

For the pre-veg (or first 4 weeks or so), the plants will be in 2.5 qt buckets filled with turface. Setup like this:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=427080&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

The 6 plants will first go in the tote with 6 spaces, and then when the get a little bigger (after about 2 weeks) they will go in the 2 totes with 3 spaces.

The tail piece is 1.5" diameter. The totes are 14" high. If I use a 7" water level, that only leaves 7 inches to the bottom of the bucket. Delta9 said he used a 5" air gap, so if I did the same the tail piece would only be 2 inches long. Is that long enough of a tail piece?

I believe you are little confused , in your case , to have a 5 inch air gap ,you would have to have your water level at 9 inches , (14-9) , also the tail piece goes all the way to the bottom within an inch as far as I remember, and the tailpiece will lower the perched water level because of your water level is set at 9 inches , I hope someone with more experience will chime in , I've only had 4 crops which were fenomenal btw, but had to move and lost space , good luck FSG.

tilopa

OK, so I guess I am confused. I was thinking that the air gap is the distance from the surface of the water to the bottom of the tail piece. But you are saying that it is to the top of the tail piece, or in other words to the bottom of the bucket?

Can anyone please confirm this?

Mr Blah

OK, so I guess I am confused. I was thinking that the air gap is the distance from the surface of the water to the bottom of the tail piece. But you are saying that it is to the top of the tail piece, or in other words to the bottom of the bucket?

Can anyone please confirm this?
The air gap is the distance from bottom of the top bucket to the surface of the bottom buckets water solution.
In a 3.5gal bucket that is 7" of water solution and 4" of air.

tilopa

Thanks for clearing that up Mr Blah and FSG,

Yes I was confused about that. I thought the air gap was from the top of the water to the bottom of the tail piece. Glad I did not start the wrong way.

tilopa

Was not sure about the right ratio of perlite to turface.

Does this look right?

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image000005.jpg
    image000005.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 14

tilopa

Side tech question about this site, everytime I post a pic using "insert image" it places the image inline which is what I want, but then it post them at the bottom as "attached thumbnails", which I don't want. How do I keep it from posting the bottom pics?

Mr Blah

Side tech question about this site, everytime I post a pic using "insert image" it places the image inline which is what I want, but then it post them at the bottom as "attached thumbnails", which I don't want. How do I keep it from posting the bottom pics?
Equal amounts of Xlarge perlite and turface by volume.

If it has the small particles you might have issues. I know I did.

As for the pictures I notice that a while back. Unless you need a specific picture in the text you write I don't insert the image as it will automatically put your images on the bottom of the post.
I think only members can view them. A non member wouldn't be able to view and would have to click on the link only to get denied.

tilopa

Equal amounts of Xlarge perlite and turface by volume.

If it has the small particles you might have issues. I know I did.

Thanks. I definitely have much less perlite than turface. Hope that does not screw up this veg run. Will too much turface prevent the roots from growing down?

Mr Blah

Hell ya they'll grow down. The only thing is the porosity of the mix. It will work for this run. How long are you vegging for?
IF you are flowering in the same place as you are vegging, before you flip the lights check the tail piece for roots. pull them off the screen and you should be all right. They like to grow in the water.

tilopa

I was planning on vegging for 8 weeks by I might shorten that. And I have a separate flower room. Surface is an odd medium to me. It kind of seems like really really coarse sand. I've also got a couple veg plants in coco and perlite, more perlite that coco and I prefer that, but I'll see which works better in the end.

Latest posts

Latest posts