What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with attic grow room (height issues)

packerfan79

Veteran
Ever looked into load balancing? Basically your residential electrical service has two 120 volt coming in. The meter is measuring both of them, and whichever one has a higher load it the meter doubles it.

So if you have 1200 watts on one leg and 400 watts on the other, its not going to charge you for 1.6 kilowatts/hr, its going to charge you for 2.4 kilowatts/hr. Depending on how imbalanced your load is you could possibly save a lot of money.

I run 240 v for my lights, so that load should be balanced I think. If I am wrong please explain.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
I run 240 v for my lights, so that load should be balanced I think. If I am wrong please explain.

Yes your lights would be, as 240v is attained from connecting to both the 120v legs coming in (they are on the same phase so those sine waves add up).

But the rest of your house/normal usage? Since its summer and the grow is offline, it would be a good time to get a baseline established.

Also when winter comes you have your fans and rest of your grow equipment that you could make sure are balancing out.

S

sourpuss

nice space imo. bare bulbs in cheapo reflectors tucked into the cubby corner thingy. paint it all white. i would do an ebb flow bucket system if you want hydro. or just soiless promix in pots. scrog against the wall. space to walk in and work.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Looks like a sweet spot, thanks for the pics for reference. So the entrance is in the middle, is it going to work out well proportionally floorspace wise to have the veg room in the middle there with the entrance, and the flipflopped flower rooms on either end with their own window AC units?

Fill in the lines between plywood with joint compound of your choice and sand smooth then paint flat white and your space will look so fuckin sexy MMMMHFGH

Thanks man, readying through that now.

As far as having two flowering chambers I'm not sure how close I am right now. In terms of lighting, if I'm still planning on going with COB panels to reduce heat its going to get mighty expensive to outfit that much square footage. I have to get an idea of what ambient temps are up there, I honestly might have to go HPS considering my location and winter temps around here. Would be crazy to start thinking about heating my grow area.

supposed to be all signed and delivered october 1st, just :dance013: until then with the live rosin pens....

madalasatori

Veteran
Air cooled lighting will really help to keep the area cool and means you an get the lights closer to the plants which is handy with minimal headroom

Be aware that vertical growing is a pain in the arse, much more so than a horizontal grow. New rooms are a steep learning curve at the best of times

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I have to get an idea of what ambient temps are up there
Ambient temps, even with aircooled lights, are not going to stay at 77F. Count on them going up. Un-insulated attic? Expect no snow on your roof, and yes I would suggest either HPS or some other type of heater for winter.

Environment, environment, environment. :)

Hydro8

A couple of thoughts that ran by me.
*Air Flow
Attics can get stuffy, If you could make an intake from inside your home on the floor level and an exhaust at the other end of the grow at the roof level you could pull 70-deg air through the grow all year. With 600watt hps or LEDs you might not need much AC if any
*Water HO2
Someone with plumbing skills could probably make a full on sink and drain up there. Or a hack, renter, guerilla grower could get a hydro pump and some hose.
If you had a room under the attic you could make a reservoir barrel, bath tub, etc with the small pump and hose pull water up to the grow into a small reservoir in the attic. ==Be careful of too much weight in water in the attic many attics are not designed for weight==. Drain into ? hose, bath, tub sink,

Cool project look forward to seeing how it comes along.

Latest posts

Latest posts