What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Senator Booker Introduces Bill To Legalize Marijuana Nationwide WASHINGTON, D.C.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Senator Booker Introduces Bill To Legalize Marijuana Nationwide
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) today introduced a landmark bill to reverse decades of failed drug policy that has disproportionately impacted communities of color. Booker announced the bill earlier today on Facebook Live.

The Marijuana Justice Act would remove marijuana from the list of controlled substances, making it legal at the federal level. The bill would also incentivize states through federal funds to change their marijuana laws if those laws were shown to have a disproportionate effect on low-income individuals and/or people of color.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/1/16073124/cory-booker-marijuana-legalization

packerfan79

Veteran
Let's hope it goes through. I doubt it. It would be a big win for Americans. I am sure the alcohol and pharmaceutical industry reps are going to do everything they can to stop it

igrowone

Veteran
i was seeing how he's pumping the medical benefits cannabis has for treating opiate problems
we may know this but it's not way near the common knowledge it should be
all the way? maybe not yet but will smooth the road a little more

I applaud his effort for this.....but what he is doing is using this issue as a stepping stone into the national lens so to say for a 2020 presidential run. I like Corey hope he gets some support with this

mushroombrew

Veteran
i was seeing how he's pumping the medical benefits cannabis has for treating opiate problems
we may know this but it's not way near the common knowledge it should be
all the way? maybe not yet but will smooth the road a little more

Yes I like that angle. Encouraging to see some pushing back at the A.G.

iBogart

Veteran
About freakin time! Hallelujah!
Booker for president!

Legislation for federal marijuana reform gets introduced every year for like the last decade.

Booker is a bought politician. Primarily the pharmaceutical industry in New Jeresy is his major donor. Look it up.

He knows his legislation won't make it in the republican controlled Senate and the House. He's fishing for the marijuana vote. That's it.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
When you didn't like the rules England made for you, you told us to piss off with guns. Now you can do the same to the Feds with paperwork. Why don't you?

OldPhart

When you didn't like the rules England made for you, you told us to piss off with guns. Now you can do the same to the Feds with paperwork. Why don't you?

I'm afraid it may again take guns to get our current government under control of the people again. This whole two party system that are putting out the bought and paid for candidates, for us to choose between, needs to go away.

I don't expect this bill to get any traction, but it is all part of how we are going to free our favorite plant. Got to get people talking about it. I have seen situations where I knew that people smoked, but would run down 'hippies' and 'stoners' to try to look more legitimate in front of other people. Funny thing is, I knew that the people they were trying to impress were smokers as well. If everyone would just be honest about their 'personal' beliefs, and quit putting on their 'public' act, this whole war on weed would fall apart instantly.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Legislation for federal marijuana reform gets introduced every year for like the last decade.
True. Measure have come up time and time again, only to be quickly defeated. Big Pharma, DEA & the current choices in cabinet and other posts will not tolerate such a sane proposal.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Legalization is/has been a hot potato politically. Not necessarily because of the voting populous (of late) but more so because of the funding the politicos get and from whom. Don’t want to upset that constituency.

X

xavier7995

I wouldn't expect it to go anywhere, hope I am wrong though. Given the current political climate, I would expect it to be killed as it came from the dems and it's now high treason or whatever to work with the other side on anything. There is a chance it could get through the senate but the house is a whole different retarded beast.

Booker is a bought politician. Primarily the pharmaceutical industry in New Jeresy is his major donor. Look it up.

He knows his legislation won't make it in the republican controlled Senate and the House. He's fishing for the marijuana vote. That's it.
Thanks for the info. I know nothing about him and didn't mean the president thing for real. At least it's being put out there wether it has a chance or not. Gotta start somewhere. Eventually it will go farther than people thought, and maybe someday we will get what we all want and deserve.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
looks like another lark, who'd give up upwards of $25 billion?

Drug Policy Alliance |
131 West 33rd Street, 15th Floor,
New York,
NY
nyc
@drugpolicy.org |
voice |
fax
Page
The Federal Drug Control
Budget
New Rhetoric, Same Failed Drug War
February
The Obama administration says that drug use should be treated as a health issue instead of a criminal justice issue. Yet its budget and its drug policies have largely emphasized enforcement, prosecution and incarceration at home, and interdiction, eradication and military escalation abroad.

Even what the government does spend on treatment and prevention is overstated, as many of its programs are wasteful and counterproductive.

Drug War Policies Dominate Federal Drug Budget

The enacted federal drug war budget totaled roughly $26 billion in 2015, and the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP)has requested an even larger budget for 2016.1

Anadditional $25 billion is spent at the state and local levels on the drug war every year. 2

https://www.drugpolicy.org/sites/default/files/DPA_Fact_sheet_Drug_War_Budget_Feb2015.pdf

Drewsif

It will always be scheduled.

The best you can expect is for insurance to cover your synthetic thc pills some day.

The medical angle has been nothing but a money grab that's going to bite everyone in the ass. Not regulated like tobacco. Regulated like oxycodone.

rolandomota

Veteran
It will always be scheduled.

The best you can expect is for insurance to cover your synthetic thc pills some day.

The medical angle has been nothing but a money grab that's going to bite everyone in the ass. Not regulated like tobacco. Regulated like oxycodone.
I think thats already possible with dronabinol the already approved since the 80's "synthetic" thc

PDX Dopesmoker

Where was his enthusiasm for legalization and criticizing government during 8 years of the Obama administration, including 2 years of Democratic control of Congress?
Just like all those Republicans who voted 9000x to repeal Obamacare when they knew they would never have to take responsibility for their vote. Nothing but a big pussy crying for attention.

iBogart

Veteran
Where was his enthusiasm for legalization and criticizing government during 8 years of the Obama administration, including 2 years of Democratic control of Congress?
Just like all those Republicans who voted 9000x to repeal Obamacare when they knew they would never have to take responsibility for their vote. Nothing but a big pussy crying for attention.

This 100%.

Latest posts

Latest posts