What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable AC's

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would a mini split be the way to go to cool with zero smell leaking?

I basically have a room with no door but the entire wall missing, kind of like a cave, weird funk ass window i cant get an ac in, so I have panda filmed and sealed the missing wall part to form my space, need to cool it with no smell leaks. The room is about 6x8 and 12 foot ceilings... If I can find away to cool this thing and not stink ima try a vert run for the first time next run heh.

Smelly_Cheese

If you rig a window unit like you suggest how do you deal with the leaking water? I could sit on on a milk crate and cut a hole in my panda film and seal possibly?

I'm not sure. Mine had a wood wall to outside that I cut. However there are some good threads i remember here on ic for adapting wall units. Most wall units are easy to attach a hose for drain

I hear mini splits are awesome. Just not in my budget right now but i hear they are great

They're not cheap, at least for the mistu i bought. But it is what it is. I went over budget for mine and in the end I feel better about my purchase.

It's the installation that bothered me. Because the instructions. If you have never worked around electricity and HVAC, you'll have to do some serious studying just to know whats going on. That's the downside. That and placement of the unit. I don't think I would have been comfortable outside installing one in Fall. Who in the world puts in an AC in the fall?d

All that said. I now have an extra layer of security, because I'm not venting. And I've now got more floor space. More money saved due to failing carbon filters.

Greenthumber

Hey mr green, was wondering if you ever came up with viable option for your ac situation, I'm currently getting started building a room a mini split isn't an option as of for now and I live in a cold cold winter area so wouldn't be able to use one in the winter time as an option anyway. I was going to use the portables but would like to control my smell the best I can. Just curious to see what you might have put together

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Hey mr green, was wondering if you ever came up with viable option for your ac situation, I'm currently getting started building a room a mini split isn't an option as of for now and I live in a cold cold winter area so wouldn't be able to use one in the winter time as an option anyway. I was going to use the portables but would like to control my smell the best I can. Just curious to see what you might have put together

Pretty sure they make units that function at/and below freezing temps.

Greenthumber

Pretty sure they make units that function at/and below freezing temps.

A buddy and I Were actually just talking about that after I made that post that was the only reason he was gun shy at getting one I guess they make some that run up untill-14 We do have times where it gets that low but only briefly for a week or two,, it'll be a bit yet before I can get to getting one anyhow just have to find the best method that works for me untill that point, thanks og

zoo

If you live in a cold area why bother with A/C? waste of electricity

Get intake / extraction fans and put them on a fan controller.

Greenthumber

If you live in a cold area why bother with A/C? waste of electricity

Get intake / extraction fans and put them on a fan controller.

Well it gets pretty hott to lol I was referring to the winter time if it was needed then being when I get to a sealed room that it

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i use a single hose but i have it rigged to blow the exhaust through the scrubber
do get a dual hose or a miniplit is ideal

Greenthumber

i use a single hose but i have it rigged to blow the exhaust through the scrubber
do get a dual hose or a miniplit is ideal

Thanks for the input I'm almost finished building and I'll be able to do some test runs soon, I don't think I'll need it much in the winter but want one just in case, I was thinking of getting a dual hose I've heard they are better for scent control when it comes to venting