What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

poison co2 generator

newestguy

Sealed up a room 10 months ago, after much success air cooling. I used a mini split and installed a autopilot 4 burner LP co2 generator. Pretty much right from the start I experienced problems. The plants where never the same again. I blamed myself, thinking that somehow I had made a mistake and my skills and strategies where not performing in a sealed room. I switched from peat to coco and back to peat, tried everything I could think, spent more money than you could imagine. Finally at my wits end, I moved in organic plants, peat plants fed salts, and coco plants fed other salts. They all crashed in essentially the same way. Immediately I realized it was nothing I was doing. Looked around for any plastics that could cause vocs, couldn't find much but pretty much removed everything made of plastic, still had the issue. At that point I got it! Pulled the co2 generator out, pulled out a bottled gas setup and my garden has never looked better.

It was absolutely this co2 generator at fault. I noticed that there was a buildup of black on the nozzles at this point. FWIW, i had thoroughly checked the flame during this whole time. It had been a nice flower shaped flame with no lazy qualities. It did show a bit of yellow over where the ignition wires where, it also would periodically flick a bit of yellow at the edges.

I still don't know if the flame and burner residue in these images and video are normal or not, interested to see what others who run generators say. I do know that for whatever reason it was causing huge problems.

Powered by VideoBam - Free Video Hosting

Sorry the video lost a lot of quality when it got uploaded, but you can still clearly see the flame quality and the slight bit of yellow flicking up.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know this will sound stupid, but you've got a controller?

I don't think the burner was the problem, but it will accentuate problems that may not have been such an issue beforehand, or as noticeable. The burner looks fine at least.

newestguy

I know this will sound stupid, but you've got a controller?

I don't think the burner was the problem, but it will accentuate problems that may not have been such an issue beforehand, or as noticeable. The burner looks fine at least.

Yep I had it hooked to a controller, room environment is absolute without fail as good as it can get. I can 100% unequivocally state that it was the burner and nothing else. 3 different medias fed 3 different ways, all as healthy as can be in veg side, brought into sealed bloom room and they start to fold. Start air cooling, come right back, turn on burner they fold.

Absolutely the moment that burner was removed and bottled gas installed the garden went nuts, its incredible. I feel like for once in the history of indoor gardening there is absolutely zero doubt that this autopilot generator was absolutely the issue. I am super happy to put the nightmare this thing created behind me, but I am a little bummed at running a bottled gas setup. Based on a few things beyond my control it is less than ideal. It can and will be done for as long as is needed but it is undesirable. I would love to try another burner but I am just scared, that shit was a fucking nightmare.

newestguy

Sorry can't edit, but I thought I should throw this in. I did not blame the burner without thoroughly checking many things. I knew I had problems over the last 8-10 months (since sealed) but I didn't get it until i saw so many different things go down hill so drastically. I rode it out for like at least 10 days changing temps RH, periodic venting etc. What i found is that fully sealed they failed fast, air cooled popped back just as fast, periodic venting slowed the crash, but still super pathetic. Thankfully the universe took pity on me and these plants where strong, they survived the 10 days or so of trial and error and where ready for me when i switched to bottled. None of the temp or RH changes made much if any difference at all.

When the generator ran all new growth would sag, like worse than overwatered, kind of along the lines of stupid bad VPD. They would also occasionally turn around, pray like crazy and look just like a mag def/salt buildup.

For the bulk of the 10 months I was just so confused, they would stretch great (no burner) they would stack fine, and honestly when the burner first would come on the decline would be gradual, I think because this batch was so big and healthy coming in i just couldn't help but see it. With the generator running the plants would just stall out, the pistils would pause and then die back and super early in the cycle I would see the calyx's push. Ultimately the plants would precede to degrease themselves, ultimately resulting in more or less schwaag.

Now that I think about it the only time anything came out of there tasty it was a 10 weeker that had been run along side a 7 weeker, because I didn't turn back on the generator I guess stuff turned out acceptable.

The other thing I should add is that the only way to combat the meltdown this generator would cause was to feed SUPER light, like crazy like .6-.8 ec in coco. If I went any higher than that they tended to lock out or go N toxic. The funny thing is that with the bottled gas at first I was still feeding like that, shit got so hungry it was gross, after about a week of upping the food I ended up feeding most salt plants around 1.4-1.6 ec, peat is feed feed water or there abouts, and it all still looks more or less hungry.

seebobski

burner solutions

burner solutions

L.p. gas can have contamination when you buy in bulk. I have a catalytic heater
(Big Buddy) and it's recommended to use a inline filter for gas. It has helped a lot to keep it reliablely starting and burn clean. One other thing is altitude to jet burner orifice size. If to big you will get other colors other than just blue. Are you in the foothills or high in the mountains? Also try plugging a couple of burners , you did say it has 4 burners. It might be to much for your size a room . Bottles of co2 is cleaner but more hastle !

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah I see, didn't realize/read properly that you had went with bottled after pulling the burner.

Is there a passive intake? re: fresh air for combustion. As well, last time I ran fully sealed, we did a quick blast venting after lights out. Some do, some don't, there are arguments both ways. The burner manufacturer agreed with venting so we leaned that way.

I wouldn't recommend plugging any burners. Fiddling with gas appliances.... XD

newestguy

L.p. gas can have contamination when you buy in bulk. I have a catalytic heater
(Big Buddy) and it's recommended to use a inline filter for gas. It has helped a lot to keep it reliablely starting and burn clean. One other thing is altitude to jet burner orifice size. If to big you will get other colors other than just blue. Are you in the foothills or high in the mountains? Also try plugging a couple of burners , you did say it has 4 burners. It might be to much for your size a room . Bottles of co2 is cleaner but more hastle !

Ah I see, didn't realize/read properly that you had went with bottled after pulling the burner.

Is there a passive intake? re: fresh air for combustion. As well, last time I ran fully sealed, we did a quick blast venting after lights out. Some do, some don't, there are arguments both ways. The burner manufacturer agreed with venting so we leaned that way.

I wouldn't recommend plugging any burners. Fiddling with gas appliances.... XD
I pretty much tried this thing every way possible, I ran with negative pressure (6" inline pulling through a filter) I think I even tried an active intake, turning down the intake fan with a rheostat, not positive I left that on for long, because the burner just ran non stop. I also tried it completely sealed, with only the mini split cooling. Definitely the poison was most noticeable with the room completely 100% sealed. I don't think they would have lasted much longer than the 10 days I played around with it.

I did play around with the provided plugs, tried it with both 4 and 2, no real difference in plant health, maybe a slightly slower decline with the 2 burners. I am at 1000 feet elevation, never had this be considered high altitude for any other appliance, but potentially it could be right in the middle?

I am so open to suggestions as to where the poison may be coming from. I did the normal 5 gallon (or lb) cylinder. I also made sure and got the propane from as many different sources as I could.

I am really interested in the inline filter thing, I would so love to be able to run a burner successfully. Seeing the benefits of the bottled gas, but man I go through it.

growshopfrank

Veteran
My guess would be that the burner was using up the oxygen in your room
the plants only being able to tolerate very low feed schedules tends to back this up more than contaminates in the propane being the cause

I have had similar issues growing in sea cans ended up using a intake fan filtered through a can filter run on a cycle timer during daylight hours to fix FWIW

the gnome

Veteran
pic of the plants would be nice along with other specifics,
like room size, number of lamps, watts etc
day temps, Rh, Co2 ppms, water source RO or tap, hard /soft?
have you tried to calibrate your Co2 sniffer?

when i 1st went sealed VPD hit me at Rh and temps that never affected me unsealed,
I had symptoms your describing below with the mag def.

When the generator ran all new growth would sag, like worse than overwatered, kind of along the lines of stupid bad VPD. They would also occasionally turn around, pray like crazy and look just like a mag def/salt buildup.

RedReign

I've had the same thing happen twice, both time new rooms with new burners. The brass pipe connections were leaking propane into the room and poisoning the plants. Oddly, neither room ever smelled like propane.

The first burner just needed the brass pipe/fittings snugged down and pipe sealant added to all connections. The second burner needed all the pipe/fittings replaced between the inlet fitting and the burner bar.

Easy to check for leaks. I sprayed soapy water on the fittings and blew compressed air into the inlet fitting. Make sure you check for leaks, before and after the solenoid.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Nm.. I see you're at 1000 ft elevation. hmmm..

I wanna know too, I cant say i'm having problems, but when I add co2, it seems to do better when the co2 is lower.
Its like the calculations I got going dont jive.

The only think I could think of is a gas monitor they use for confined space entry, it pretty much covers everything, O2/CO/ etc..

Now I have a gas alarm just incase I do have a propane leak.. but I never found one.

Well I guess we could start with the basics.. verify its not setup up for LNG, make sure you got the right burners in there.

bmp420gti

the video shows that its burning fine, something else associated with it like the two things stated, micro leaks and dirty fuel from the get go is causing this, but its not the burner itself that thing is burning clean and doing its job.

mowood3479

Veteran
ya the burner looks ok to me.. much cleaner blue flame than any of mine.
i second the idea to check thoroughly for propane leaks...
good luck op, sounds like its been a tough year... i hope u get it dialed in asap

growshopfrank

Veteran
the video shows that its burning fine, something else associated with it like the two things stated, micro leaks and dirty fuel from the get go is causing this, but its not the burner itself that thing is burning clean and doing its job.

I would be curious how the flame looks after the door is closed and the room is sealed up for several hours
my guess is that the flame would be more yellow than blue
when the video was shot the rooms atmosphere was not realistic to the normal sealed operation of the room

RoadRash

>> "Sealed up a room 10 months ago"

Does that mean it's literally sealed - no inlet, no outlet ?

one of the products of combustion is also water -

e.g. burning methane -

CH4 + O2 ==> CO2 + H2O

(not worrying about the stoichiometry, the numbers that go in front of the molecules to balance the equation)

More water in the air, that is, an increase in humidity - I doubt that is causing the problem.

But it's something worth knowing about, if you are using combustion to get your CO2. If it's increasing humidity enough to cause bud-rot, then it's a problem.

One other way besides a tank, is fermentation.

e.g.

2 gallons warm water
4 pounds sugar
4 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon champagne yeast

puts out loads of CO2, saw the chem. math once and it came to about 1 pound of CO2 for every pound of sugar.

bmp420gti

I would be curious how the flame looks after the door is closed and the room is sealed up for several hours
my guess is that the flame would be more yellow than blue
when the video was shot the rooms atmosphere was not realistic to the normal sealed operation of the room

This is true and he also didnt mention how big the room is, that burner might be too much for the sealed area and once the oxygen burns out frank is right the propane would burn dirty and some would be left to enter atmosphere. Be careful about overbuilding your setups, peeps.

the gnome

Veteran
This is true and he also didnt mention how big the room is, that burner might be too much for the sealed area and once the oxygen burns out frank is right the propane would burn dirty and some would be left to enter atmosphere. Be careful about overbuilding your setups, peeps.

excellent detecive work guys
that makes perfect sense the O2 would overly depleted too much if its a really space.
another thing... maybe the auto pilot sniffer is screwed up?
has it been recalibrated,
I have a greeneye monitor/data logger that gives me a back up ppm reading so at a glance i can see
if there's a a big difference

newestguy

The room itself was 12x15x8 with an appropriate number of lamps. I do not suspect o2 depletion as the issue do the fact that the room ran better when pulling negative pressure with a 6" fan filter combo. It was still sick and fucked up but it was nothing like the devastation if the room was completely sealed.

The atlas 7 that was controlling that generator is currently controlling the bottled gas with no issues. I do not suspect it being the problem. I have not re calibrated or checked it with a second meter (wish I could but gonna wait awhile before buying anything else). One of the reasons I trust the meter is I am able to calculate the time it will take the bottle to bring the room up to correct saturation at the right PPM. So far I have always seen it on an appropriate amount of time.

My honest best guess based on everything I have seen is that it may be ethylene. That is the only issue I have ever seen listed as a problem with generators besides incomplete combustion.

I have emailed autopilot and showed them the video of the flame, they thought that looked acceptable. I didn't really get any feedback on the burner buildup.

newestguy

>> "Sealed up a room 10 months ago"

Does that mean it's literally sealed - no inlet, no outlet ?

one of the products of combustion is also water -

e.g. burning methane -

CH4 + O2 ==> CO2 + H2O

(not worrying about the stoichiometry, the numbers that go in front of the molecules to balance the equation)

More water in the air, that is, an increase in humidity - I doubt that is causing the problem.

But it's something worth knowing about, if you are using combustion to get your CO2. If it's increasing humidity enough to cause bud-rot, then it's a problem.

One other way besides a tank, is fermentation.

e.g.

2 gallons warm water
4 pounds sugar
4 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon champagne yeast

puts out loads of CO2, saw the chem. math once and it came to about 1 pound of CO2 for every pound of sugar.

Definitely had the humidity dealt with, honestly most people running mini splits or central air aren't gonna have much of a problem. For whatever reason it kind of works out that by the time the AC has dealt with the heat from the burner it has also dehu any RH associated. Have plenty of dehus and definitely have the room well monitored (kind of an environment junky)

Honestly whatever this problem is/was it was extremely insidious in the sense that all parameters were as close to perfect as is possible and yet the general health was so low.

All I can really say is if you are running a sealed room with a generator and you are fighting phantom problems and a lack of general health do yourself the biggest favor and switch it up to bottled gas for a minute. LOL everyone has an old bottle laying around, and holy shit what a difference it made. Can't tell you how frustrating this was to deal with.