What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

will 50 degree temps hurt my plants tonight?

Due to unusually warm weather, I started my plants indoors and took them to the woods today because I just couldn't pass them off as heirloom tomato plants much longer.:tongue:(family doesn't know) well, I got distracted and left them there outside by mistake. Weather supposed to go down to 50 degrees tonight. Should I sneak out of the house and get them? or will they be okay till tomorrow. They are still in solo cups and they have 6 sets of leaves......They are 15 miles from me and I have night blindness....so driving isn't easy, but I don't want to lose them ....advise please:prettyplease:

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
U got supplemental light on them.... other wise in a week or 2 they will start to flower.... not enuff daylight yet to avoid this..... then as summer comes along.... they will try and REVEG....which will surely make a mess of those plants....
the 50 deg temps.... will be ok..... might wanna make a small h00p house for them for the next few weeks.... til good and warm comes too stay...........
but seriously.... they need night lights.......

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
one night of 50 wont kill them. Lets hope the slugs and snail and pussy cat tails stay away

thanks Ybogey, I have been supplementing with night lights. Was really winging it, not knowing what to do, I sort of jumped the gun this year because it was so warm. It is getting dark about 8:30. Dang! do , I have to suppliment at night till the summer soltace? I've got 30 more seedlings with various germ dates still getting pampered indoors. I had a plethora of seeds as one of my girls accidently got pollinated last year and so I have been free and easy with the seeds ,planning on experimenting a little with different locations

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The last time that I went out of town, the batteries in my furnace thermostat died. The default setting is 50 degrees when this happens - I had some pretty chilly gals after somewhere from 1-10 days at that temperature, but they snapped right back.

Friend

Veteran
With my last crop the temperature in my grow room stayed steady at 57-58 degrees throughout the entire flowering cycle, and there seemed to be no adverse effects.

The plants appeared to be just as happy as they would have been at 70-75 degrees.

My room gets down to around 50-60 during winter and it takes a few weeks longer to flower. Outdoor sees 40 on some nights and there's no problem, unless you're growing a haze or something very sativa.

djonkoman

Veteran
I have no idea how much 50 degrees is, since I use celsius, but IME cold temps isn't that much of a problem, cannabisplants can easily withstand some frost at night. but they will grow a lot slower or not at all, but as soon as it gets warmer again they'll take off

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
just cause the plant SURVIVES.... cold temps.... Does NOT make it g00d and /or OK....
Yes, the plant can survive.... BUT the exposure to cold 60deg and below slows the growth rate of the plant by half..... 50deg and under the plant almost stops growing.... and goes into survival mode..... not really beneficial in the long term scope of flowing plants with there usual time frame.....remember even out-door's....ENVIRONMENT affects...EVERYthing

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We plant around mid May around here, the days are long enough to keep the plant in veg...it will start flowering around mid August.

S

SeaMaiden

Due to unusually warm weather, I started my plants indoors and took them to the woods today because I just couldn't pass them off as heirloom tomato plants much longer.:tongue:(family doesn't know) well, I got distracted and left them there outside by mistake. Weather supposed to go down to 50 degrees tonight. Should I sneak out of the house and get them? or will they be okay till tomorrow. They are still in solo cups and they have 6 sets of leaves......They are 15 miles from me and I have night blindness....so driving isn't easy, but I don't want to lose them ....advise please:prettyplease:
They will BE FINE.

I've tried to kill cannabis plants by leaving them outside at the end of December, where they were exposed to temperatures well below freezing (15*F), high winds, rain storms, snow, everything *but* warmth. Those fucking bitches LIVED through the whole winter AND spring, only died from lack of water the following June.

They will be fine.

However, in future, try to remember to keep the roots as insulated as possible if they're in pots. In-ground, no biggie, but potted plants root zone experiences conditions that in-ground plants don't (stabilization of soil moisture, exposed to soil food web of life, stable pH, stable temps). Going for larger pots, setting them into the ground, or using other measures to ensure stability in the root zone.

thanks Ybogey, I have been supplementing with night lights. Was really winging it, not knowing what to do, I sort of jumped the gun this year because it was so warm. It is getting dark about 8:30. Dang! do , I have to suppliment at night till the summer soltace? I've got 30 more seedlings with various germ dates still getting pampered indoors. I had a plethora of seeds as one of my girls accidently got pollinated last year and so I have been free and easy with the seeds ,planning on experimenting a little with different locations
No, seed starts do not need to have supplemental light, extension of photoperiod, or interruption of photoperiod, because they have not SEXED. It's when cannabis has sexed that photoperiod plays such a crucial role.

With seeds, you just pop them, expose them to the natural day photoperiod, and go from there.

With clones, you need to prevent revegetative phase from beginning again. That is accomplished via supplemental lighting, extension of daylight photoperiod, or interruption of night time photoperiod.

I am at 34.4*N @ 2,500' elevation on the western scarp of the Sierra Nevada, I get started in March with my seed starts, they go out ASAP. If they get snowed on, they get snowed on (yes, even as wee seedlings with nary a node on them). So far I've never lost one from this kind of care. What it can impact (does) is final yield, but I'm just as interested in growing lines that tolerate or prefer my local conditions as I am in a final yield.

Thanks to Mrs. Babba, SeaMaiden Disco Biscuit ,Highlight,Joe Cronic,etc. for excellent advice. I'm tired of moving 40 plants inside and outside everyday....so I'm just gonna "go for it". Yep those squirrel,rodents,etc. will dig up your dirt looking for seeds for sure...had that happen with my sunflowers. Got a good spot that critters can't mess with......only insects, I'm gonna have to put down a d.e. barrier and plant some garlic around.I bought several flats of cleome for cover but now I'm undecided about placing them next to my plants. The leaves are so similar and the cleome even stinks like weed a little.Im wondering if it will draw attention to them instead of disguising them. I'm beginning to think it's best to find some established scrub and place them in the middle.........

Drugcheese

Low temperatures at night are OK down to about 60 degrees outdoors, then start to effect the growth in a big way. Mid 50s will cause mild shock and 40s will kill your plants with repeated exposure. Keep your plants warm, especially the roots. Elevate pots if you think the ground is sucking the heat out of the roots. This is an issue if you have a slab or other type of cold floor.

S

SeaMaiden

No, those temperatures will not kill your plants with repeated exposure. Truly.

Also, the ground acts as a heat sink, it's BETTER to have the plants in-ground instead of in pots due to this.

These are the plants I tried to kill by leaving outside all through winter a few years ago, but that didn't die until the following June, because they weren't watered. The photo was taken the April after I had set them out and left them to die from exposure. They were all in 1gal pots, just sitting on top of the soil.

Attachments

• whoors.jpg
    whoors.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 7