What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finding Cannabis Jobs In Legal States

olddognewtricks

Hello, ICMAG! I am a relative unknown on these sites. That is because I am in an unfriendly cannabis state on the east coast. I have only started one thread on ICMAG back in 2013. (Blue Lemon Thai from CH9 seeds).
I've grown outside off and on for 20 years. I started indoors in 2012, after my dad was diagnosed with cancer(bone) for the third time in his life, in Aug. of 2011. Chemo and radiation was killing him; his words, not mine. We started research into holistic cures. The two alternatives that stood out were a strictly raw, live food diet. Then we found an article on Rick Simpson and cannabis oil. I asked my dad, an ex police officer and sheriff in our county, if he would ever consider that as an option. He said yes, and I began to grow. I will flash forward to save time. I grew a few pounds. My dad decided not to try it. He was scared that if they found it in his system, he would be disqualified from the experimental chemo program. I gave half of it away to a couple of chemo patients my dad met in treatment. They did not share my dads' concern about having it in their system. Before I got rid of the rest, I got busted. I got 3 years probation, paid over $7000 in lawyers costs, fines and classes, and a felony charge.
My dad finally tried infused butter that I bought for him on Nov. 3, 2015. The 4 or 5 painkillers that he was prescribed would not help him sleep, but butter infused with heavy cbd was a godsend. I am sad to say that just 1 week later, on Veterans Day, Nov.11, 2015, I watched my dad take his last breath in a hospice facility. He was surrounded by all his loved ones. I believe that the oil would given him a real chance at a cure.
My goal is to move to a legal state, become a caregiver, and dedicate half of all my harvest to making cannabis oil and giving it away to cancer patients, and all who have a legitimate ailment that the oil may help. The main problem is the lack of info on jobs in Colorado and Cali. I am a single dad with a 16 year old daughter. I am also now a felon. Finding a job will be difficult, to say the least. I would like to find a job on this industry; master grower to trimmer.....doesn't even matter, as long as I can work.
I invite anyone to post, but especially if you:
*have made the move yourself
*know someone who has relocated
*live in a medical state and can give insight on the industry
and unforeseen challenges
*need master growers or helpers for a collective
*have anything helpful to contribute to the cause

I don't want this to come across as just some guy that wants to grow. I have never been so deeply committed to a cause. I am an ex marine and a single dad. I would not uproot my daughters from our life in our home town on a whim. I also am waiting on a provisional patent approval on a bucket system that will completely eliminate root shock not only in cannabis, but it is applicable with all container plants across the board. I want to be an innovator in this industry.

I know there are cannabis jobs sites on the net, but they are very limited, due to the infancy of the industry. I started this thread because I haven't found a consolidated source of info on the subject. Please limit your post to the helpful variety. If you want to see the grow from 2013, just look at olddognewtricks thread on Blue Lemon Thai. Thanks brothers and sisters, and good growing to you.

Hey man, I can relate to what youre saying, my dads got multiple myeloma and im in the process of making rso, still havent decided what solvent to use yet. Also I moved across the usa back to cali 8 years ago with the intention to grow but having no idea how to get started. I ended up finding a partner online and the rest is history. It can be done. I wish you the best of luck on your quest. If you dont have the capitol for startup this may be what you should be looking for. Dispensarys sometimes have a lot of turn around too if you just want to start somewhere.

olddognewtricks

Thanks for the encouragement, and such a fast response tessarecting. I have no ego or pride when it comes to work. I just want legitimate, or verifiable work. I have heard stories of people misrepresenting themselves. That is no shock to me, but I have a lot riding on this, as I am sure anyone in a similar situation does. But I do have the luxury of having a supportive family. I can leave my girls here, come out and get established there, and then bring them out.
The only thing that discouraged me from dispensary work was that most of the jobs online say no felons. It is impossible to know the real atmosphere of the area from 3000 miles away. That is why I started this thread. I want it to be a bridge for the free flow of info :) Thanks again for your contribution tess. Let's keep it going ICMAG. I know we can. Peace

olddognewtricks

Hey tess, sorry for your dad. I mean that. Meant to say that in above post. I hope he has wonderful results, and is around a long time. Peace, love and good vibes to you and your family.

Smokapelli

Hello....
I am a professional grower who works in the industry. I thought I may help with a few things to focus on before moving anywhere.
First be sure of what area of the cannabusiness you want to work in and be specific. Now you can now specialize in a specific field like grower, trimmer, bud tender, extracts, edibles, marketing, patient relations, executive ,management etc.
Try to get certifications or degrees to prove your knowledge. There are many schools like Oaksterdam university for certifications or Cloverleaf college in Denver which is an accredited school for cannabusiness. Build a portfolio of your exploits but be careful how you do it. It is still a federal crime to grow cannabis.
Research each state you are thinking about relocating to and do some marketing research to make sure there is room for economic growth within the industry. Many states are still simply unworkable models.
Lastly I would build an alliance of other industry professionals and build a good reputation within these communities so you have references when the time comes to interview for jobs.
I hope this helps. I did these things and more to land a dream job in a legal state! WORTH IT!

EEEeee

Hello....
I am a professional grower who works in the industry. I thought I may help with a few things to focus on before moving anywhere.
First be sure of what area of the cannabusiness you want to work in and be specific. Now you can now specialize in a specific field like grower, trimmer, bud tender, extracts, edibles, marketing, patient relations, executive ,management etc.
Try to get certifications or degrees to prove your knowledge. There are many schools like Oaksterdam university for certifications or Cloverleaf college in Denver which is an accredited school for cannabusiness. Build a portfolio of your exploits but be careful how you do it. It is still a federal crime to grow cannabis.
Research each state you are thinking about relocating to and do some marketing research to make sure there is room for economic growth within the industry. Many states are still simply unworkable models.
Lastly I would build an alliance of other industry professionals and build a good reputation within these communities so you have references when the time comes to interview for jobs.
I hope this helps. I did these things and more to land a dream job in a legal state! WORTH IT!

Very halpfull man. Can U know any information about canadian legalization or does it have any thread(s) to discuss it? I am very excited about growing in canada after that:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/world/canada/trudeau-marijuana.html?_r=0

Anna Bella

GrowDiaries is hiring!

If you know somebody that meets the requirements, please let us know.

Here you can see a short description about who we are, and what we do: https://www.slideshare.net/GrowDiaries/

Marijuana Marketing Manager Freelancer is needed:

- general marketing strategy

- media plan implementation

- SMM strategy
- content strategy

- SEO keywords strategy

- copywriting

- public relations

- creative position

Marijuana Videoblogger Freelancer

- content strategizing & generation of ideas

- copywriting