What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smell from indoor tent grow

TheReverend

It's 3 lights in a tent, with good ventilation, but the smell is still really strong. Luckily my neighbors are cool. :biggrin: Thing is, they have kids and I feel like a dick, even though the haven't really complained per se... they have mentioned it.

Not sure what else I can do. I thought about building another framed wall in the bedroom... like a subroom within the room that the tent is in. Rmax it all out. Will that make any real difference?

Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
what he said... for a moment there, I thought you'd answered your own question.. very similar handles and I ain had a coffee and spliff yet ;)

carbon filters are essential when you have neighbours and live in a place that doesnt allow growing..

TheReverend

what he said... for a moment there, I thought you'd answered your own question.. very similar handles and I ain had a coffee and spliff yet ;)

carbon filters are essential when you have neighbours and live in a place that doesnt allow growing..

lol... I can see how you might make that mistake

Thanks everyone. Carbon scrubber it is.
Now just gotta figure out how to rig that up exactly.

Go to a hydro shop with the dimensions of your ports on your lights (6" or 8" usually) and / or if you don't have those kind of lights, the dimensions of the room and where you'd vent it. I assume you already vent it somehow, so yah just go to the store and they'll help you in a few minutes.

waveguide

Veteran
it's an unpopular opinion, but in my experience -

carbon scrubbers work by moving air through activated carbon (pet store, aquariums). big growers will insist it be affixed to a vent.

but for my fairly safe 400w grow i built a free standing scrubber, since the closet was fairly closed/isolated, it simply recycled air in the room. i built a cardboard funnel shaped panel which helped to discretise air draw, and hung the carbon in a sack behind the fan.

of course not the more efficient way to do it but still helps, and only cost $5 for carbon, if that's your speed.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
My first 2 grows I didn't use a carbon scrubber and, to this day, cannot believe the cops never showed up! Lol. It was Dutch Passions WW and it stunk from 3 houses down. Lookin back on it, I was an idiot!!!

Moral of the story.....get the scrubber......and soon! Lmao

B

bigganjabud

New carbon filter,if you decide to buy online look up a set up vid on youtube theres literally 1000s to choose from

Also i prefer using a fast clamp for attaching the fan to the filter then fix fan to ducting and run the ducting out the tent

Tbh you have proberly seen em a few times by now

Bmac1

Veteran
Lol. I wouldnt dream of growing a plant without a filter. You think it stinks now? Wait till you harvest.

Purpzz

Just wanted to add to this info, that when no scrubber is used you will get used to the smell and it might seem that theres no real issue. Just go away for a few days and when you return you probably will smell that dank before opening your front door. Always use a scrubber!

B

bigganjabud

^^^^^ ctfu lol haha

Or you might come home to no front door no tent and a trail of dead plant matter and soil fkin everywhere

Fuck that get a extract set up pronto mate

TheReverend

Wow! Thanks for all the great replies. I'm ordering a scrubber and fan for sure. Seems like an 8" will do the trick.

So, let's say on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being "I can't smell nuthin'", and 5 being "Oh shit, that's some serious ganja"... how effective is using a carbon scrubber in a small tent situation?

Bmac1

Veteran
I have a 5 x5 tent with a 600W and I have a Can66 I think it is with a 6" vortex and a speed control. I run it at about 1/3 power, if that. Gives me a lot of back pressure in the tent and I cant smell a damn thing unless the door is open. Even then its minimal. You get your head in there or when harvest is going on and it smells like you are disemboweling skunks. Ive been meaning to look more into Vaportek to use as well, especially during harvest.

touringfunkband

With a properly sized carbon scrubber you wont smell a tent grow. Carbon does put out an odor though. It's almost like a baked bread smell. At least to my sense of smell.

B

bigganjabud

On the 1-5 scale 1 bein stinky as f@@k your proberly looking something around the -2 side of it

JamieShoes

Veteran
My first 2 grows I didn't use a carbon scrubber and, to this day, cannot believe the cops never showed up! Lol. It was Dutch Passions WW and it stunk from 3 houses down. Lookin back on it, I was an idiot!!!

Moral of the story.....get the scrubber......and soon! Lmao

lmfbo!!!... the things we do in the beginning, although I must confess I wasnt quite this mental! :D :D

edit: ok, that deserves a follow up doesn it... so I didn't not have a scrubber.. I had the biggest muhfuggin scrubber you have ever seen.. I mean this thing literally weighs more than I do.. if I had to guess I would suggest it is good for about 10,000m3? WAREHOUSE style... I didn't know this, it was just the filter that came with the second hand stuff I'd picked up... so I grappled this fkn thing up the attic stairs... going one rung at a time with this thing balancing on my thighs... really heavy... really painful... about half way up the ladder started to bend inwards... very nearly snapping it in 2.. with me and the fkn filter on it... if it had gone I would most likely have been killed or seriously injured, very seriously I mean.. this thing would have come down on my chest and crushed me like a paper cup.... so I got it up there in the end... the good lord only knows how... I never actually plumbed it in to anything as I came to realise quite quickly that it was not what I needed for my 1.2m tent... to this day (that was 6 years ago) it's still up there as I'm too afraid to attempt to bring it back down...I would go and get a photo but its too damn heavy to pull out for a snap ;)

JamieShoes

Veteran
^^^^^ ctfu lol haha

Or you might come home to no front door no tent and a trail of dead plant matter and soil fkin everywhere

Fuck that get a extract set up pronto mate

yeah and that piece of paper stuck to the fridge door... why do they always stick it there?...dicks..

Last grow I was wasn't using a scrubber, but its because my budget is pretty tight. Some of these toys we have to buy are outrageous in price. Honestly I think they cost no where that much to manufacture. Its just they can get away with because they know people aren't really growing tomatoes with it.

Last edited:

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Last grow I was wasn't using a scrubber, but its because my budget is pretty tight. Some of these toys we have to buy are outrageous in price. Honestly I think they cost no where that much to manufacture. Its just they can get away with because they know people aren't really growing tomatoes with it.

When I started growing I built my own scrubber following the directions in the DIY Grow Room Equipment thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31679

It worked just fine, however I live where it's very humid and the charcoal doesn't last long in high humidity and finding several gallons of it on the 'net can be a pain. The commercial ones have the same problem except you'll probably pay $150 every time you need to change it instead of the $20 or so bucks for charcoal.

B

bigganjabud

My mate runs a hydro shop so i only ever pay trade prices, as when he first opened, he asked me to help set up hes new store

Lol i hit the price lists straight away

Approx 40-60% mark up on everything

Yeah i just blew the lid off so what?