What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 from seed help

DoDad

I started 12/12 from seed a few weeks back.

Are their any pruning/trimming techniques that will increase yield?

Can I take clones even in 12/12?

Lexort420

Yes look into lst which is also known as low stress training. And as long as it is not an auto flowering strain then yes you can take clones but make sure you have a separate area for them. Going 12/12 from seed isn't exactly what it sounds like as the plant will veg roughly 2 to 3 weeks anyways regardless of light schedule

DoDad

Yes look into lst which is also known as low stress training. And as long as it is not an auto flowering strain then yes you can take clones but make sure you have a separate area for them. Going 12/12 from seed isn't exactly what it sounds like as the plant will veg roughly 2 to 3 weeks anyways regardless of light schedule

Height shouldn't be an issue so LST would be for more production and does make sense, but would you still LST even if you had side lighting?

I guess I'm inclined to leave them upright, trim any fan leaves that block light from the budsites along the stem. In other words just defoliate the side of the plants like a vertical grow.

I'm growing in 4" pots which is another problem for LST. I can pull the plants over to the side but can't bend them 90* if they are over a few inches tall. I can lean them and pin them is what I did to some the other days and this does open up the side bud sites but there isn't any need if I have side lighting, which I just added today.

Here is my setup. 4 cfls in two reflectors and 3 CFL down the middle of 4 plants.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 23

Lexort420

Well with a good lst you make the plant start growing a new main shoot. The plants shoots will fight for dominance always trying to be the highest branch so you keep pulling down the dominant branch till you have a crap ton of bud sites. I know you have the side lightning now but I still feel with cfls lst is a must but it's entirely up to you it's your grow. Either way you decide to go is perfectly fine after all you get bud no matter what. Good luck and happy growing ��

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Well it depends on if you want single cola or bush type. Personally on 12/12 from seed i've always let them do their own thing. A lot of times you will get pretty much single cola plants with few little pop corn side branches.

Something new that I have discovered (and do this at your own risk) is a method I have not gotten around to naming yet. You have to take a very very fine razor blade, like one taken out of a disposable razor, and look closely at the very tipity top of the plant.

May want to use a magnifying glass as well if you don't have good close up vision lol. In the top of the plant open up the newest small set of fan leaves and you will see a small budlet there.

This is where you need to be VERY careful and make SURE you use your blade just right. Slice directly down the center of that new budlet and slice only one side off.

Once recovered you will have EVERY piece of new growth forced to a huge single cola. No side buds or nothing, just a big ole central bud.

I am currently running an experiment using this method outdoors on some two week old seed plants put out on August 3rd. Once they take off and do what i've explained they shall do, I will take and post pictures.

I can't take full credit for this method but it honestly is a tight kept secret of an old hippie friend of mine. You can, if done right, veg a plant this way as long as you want and even get a half pound if not more single cola bud.

I know this sounds unbelievable but just give me time and I will show proof of the technique.

Good luck! :tiphat:

DoDad

You could top it now as well, clone the tops, then throw them in there as well

I Fimmed them yesterday and have been removing the lower fans which has really produced some serious side branching from the top of the media to the top of the plant. I think when they are 30 days old I might be able to take some clones.

I just tried to LST on the other side of my tent and ended up with what I call, LLST (Lame Low stress training). All I did was lean over the plant and tie it to the corner of the pot then removed the lower fans.

What happened was the plant filled in at the bottom and all the bud sites up top turned toward the light that were on the back of the plant. I basically have a 4" wall of bud sites now that is similar to a vertical grow.

I didn't think it was a good idea to top when doing 12'/12 from seed because the time is so short. The Fimming does something similar without shocking the plant and slowing things down.

Naw, you still have plenty of time, and Fimming doesn't cause stress similar to topping? Yet you are cutting? Anyway, single cola style is good forSOG but won't yield as much. I just pulled down a 16oz solo cup that gave me 24 grams 12/12 from seed in organic soil....

DoDad

Here you can see the LLST.

I pulled the plant over to one side and paper clipped it, then removed fans.

There are about 10-15 bud sites on each plant now and the plant isn't much over 4" tall. Not only do I have shoots coming out everywhere, I still have my main cola. Actually, 2 to 4 main colas I hope after fimming.

Attachments

• 700_3806.jpg
    700_3806.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 700_3808.jpg
    700_3808.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 700_3812.jpg
    700_3812.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 12

DoDad

Here are the plants I have not LLSTed but they have been Fimmed. I'm not sure what to do with them.

I could take some small clones now or certainly soon.

Attachments

• 700_3818.jpg
    700_3818.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 700_3816.jpg
    700_3816.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 700_3815.jpg
    700_3815.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 4

DoDad

I have 4 plants of the same seed. 3 are the same size and one is taller and lanky. Why is that one so different?

I LSTed that tall one. I just taped a leaf down on the pot. I saw that on youtube and seemed like an easy idea.

Attachments

• 700_3825.jpg
    700_3825.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 700_3822.jpg
    700_3822.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 700_3824.jpg
    700_3824.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 6

HydeRowe

If you are starting from seed and going directly into 12/12 I wouldn't do any sort of topping or fimming because it will just slow down the flowering process. If you want a bigger yield simply veg your plants for a few weeks or months before you flip them to flower. Larger plants = more buds​

DoDad

If you are starting from seed and going directly into 12/12 I wouldn't do any sort of topping or fimming because it will just slow down the flowering process.​

That makes a lot of sense. I shouldn't do any fan leave removal either or do anything to stall the growth.

Having said that, my plants grow out of control and need training/trimming early on so a minimum of lower growth removal still makes some sense I think.

DoDad

It doesn't slow it down that much In my experience maybe 3 to 7 days tops.

My plants grow better than weeds. Last time I grew I grew 8 oz of leaves and 2 oz of bud. I'm trying to reverse that total.

I don't even want to waste an hour, much less 3 days. I want to run these as fast as they will go.

My problem is I can't stop fooling with them. If I just left them alone, I'm pretty sure they would work it out for themselves. :)

DoDad

Well in that case let them grow the natural way lol

I have limited space so I have to jack with with them. :)

I have plenty of height (5 feet) but not much width given the fact I have 8 plant in a 3 foot wide tent. If I don't keep them trimmed up the leaves cover each other up.

Still haven't figured out the best way to grow for me in this setup. Last time I vegged for over a month and grew tons of leaves. I'm not into leaf growing, so I have to find a better way.

DoDad

BTW, that LST I did on that very tall plant really shot out bud sites!! LST for the win!!

Hell, I can produce many more bud sites from LST than fimming or topping. Now the question is, will these small tops grow as much weight or more if I would have topped or fimmed?

If LSTing means I grow 3 oz per plant and one single cola produces 3 oz, there is no advantage to LST. I don't give a shit about the of number of buds, all I care about is dried bud weight per plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts