What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trichomes atarting to turn Amber on a Sativa but it still has white hairs

lilfarmer

Hey guys, so Its my first grow and im having a hard time deciding when the right time to start the pre harvest flush. Im specifically having a hard time with this one Hso Blue Dream Auto plant. The trichomes are starting to turn amber (i attached a couple pics) but the white hairs havent turned mostly brown, at least I dont think. Also, the white hairs havent receeded into the bud like I thought was supposed to happen. Unless im wrong, but my gut is telling me this gal has about two weeks left. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. My gut is just that a feeling but Im sure those of you who have done this 1000 times would be able to tell by looking at these photos? Maybe???

Granger2

Veteran
I would go way more by trichome color than hair color. I wouldn't want more than 10% amber. Good luck. -granger

lilfarmer

Woah granger, thanks for taking the time to respond. Would you consider this to be 10% amber? I attached a photo of the trichomes.

amanda88

420giveaway
this question is posted daily on Gcity..? a little study here would save any form of moderation, ....go by the colour of the trics ...says Jorge?

lilfarmer

Its a bad pic sorry, theres definitely heads on em. And i know this question is asked daily, trust me Ive read all the information amanda88, Ive done my entire first grow without asking questions due to my diligent research when questions come up etc. its just this time I was truly stumped which is why I reached out for help. I understand everyone says always go by what the trichomes tell you but ive also read that some old school growers dont even check trichomes they go by considering all factors, trichomes, pistol color, whether pistils have receeded, etc. I mean from everythibg ive read its not so straight forward as it may seem but then again I wasnt sure. I posted another pic of the trichomes so that you can see that there are definitely heads, but its hard for me to tell what percentage of amber this would be considered. Any help would be awesome. Thx guys

CannaOg

Trichs are still developing tho you can see some that haven't fully formed but yea go by all the factors that you listed not just by trichs I would wait 2 1/2 weeks with the info you posted and by the looks of the pics

Granger2

Veteran
The pic showing amber isn't very good. I can't say what % are amber. For me, I don't want much amber. -granger

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Judging from your pictures, the tips of your buds are still trying to grow larger. However, all the trichs appear to be cloudy, with a few turning amber... I'm guessing your lights have been dialed back to 12/12 for a while..
I'm with Granger, I don't want a lot of amber trichs.
The white hairs will sometime continue to try growing until a plant reachs the end of it's life... By then all your trichs will be amber..

Judging from your pics, I would probably harvest in no more than a week from now..
but then again, it's difficult for me to tell for sure since I'm not seeing it in person.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Your nug is done. Those trichs will burst soon. White pistils have shown on nugs for me at the end of flower if I'm hammering them with light?

Last edited:

420cloud

grow green

grow green

you might need more light , check your temps. and add a better feed for flower sounds like the plant can be treated a lil better

CoCoSativas

This is a interesting one. A couple people a few months back (who are fruitcakes and I wont name so I dont attract them) claimed hiars are a sure fire way to tell if somethings done. Its not especially sativas.
Heres some different stuff. My kali mist had lots of white hairs but the heads were 50/50 clear and cloudy. The super lemon haze same thing 50/50 clear to cloudy. However the slh the hairs were all done not a single white one (but not overripe)
thats the super lemon haze. All the hairs are done. Jowever the trichrome condition was the same as the kali mist, but the mist well still lots of white hairs...

Hairs are misleading and thats a dated technique.

Depending on how pure the sativa is, they have multipe harvest windows. Lots of sativa hybrid stuff like say super lemon haze dont really they are done when they are done. Flo is a great example though, ive found you can keep the plant alive and keep cutting off its buds. Yeah lots of its done inside at 7 weeks but last time I did flo I had a double harvest, the buds that came second were done in 15 days (crazy right?) With a pretty fair yield...

What strain is this op?

Oh I know the plants look a little rough here. First time using hydro food as opposed to organics. Though lots of the burn look was when heat went out of control at one point. This run they look gorgeous... enjoying my food switch from gh flora to canna coco. Im blown away with canna coco

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
I believe plants more towards the sativa side, push out new calyxes and pistils when nitrogen is higher. If your keeping a cut around, try flushing earlier so she ripens more towards your liking.

lilfarmer

Not sure of the exact strain but its from Cannaventure and its something called "friend mix" which from what I hear is a mix of a bunch of different possibilities of which I dont have the names of. So I dont really have a suggested timeframe as far as flower because "friend mix" is definitely not a common commercial strain in the CVS arsenal. But I got a lot of good info from all you guys. Started the flush on her and planning on chopping in about 4 days now. The pistils did start to curve down on one of the top colas but the other bunch havent. Im hoping by the time flush is over theyll have moved in that direction but if not like you guys said shes gotta come down. Oh and shes on week 9 since 12/12 week 8 since bud formation. So all in all i guess it hasnt been that long. Anyway many thanks to you guys and taking the time to respond. Really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Latest posts