What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Grow Recommendations and Advice

Hoochy

So this is going to be my first grow and I need some assistance.

I'm going for a 60 x 60 x 140 as it needs to be out of the way and its biggest size I have been able to negotiate.

Looking to grow some Russian Rocket fuel, maybe another short type.

I know its a small grow but I would rather spend more money on good parts as I don't want to go cheap. Do it nice or do it twice.

I have already purchased a Lumii Digita 400w ballast which I will set at 250w and I'll probably go with a Rhino carbon filter and insulated ducting. Also going MH first and HPS once the plants are bigger.

I could do with some recommendations for the tent, extractor and reflector.

Tent
I'm torn between the Mammoth DS60 and the Green Lamp Premium but I am struggling to find much information about the Green Lamp (Amazon - Green Lamp Premium 60 x 60 x 140cm 600D Mylar Indoor Grow Tent Box Hydroponics Dark Room)

I quite like the idea of having the top side ducting holes so in the future I could look at a cool tube.

Do you guys have any other recommendations?

Extractor(has to be quiet)
I have been looking at the Can Fan Pro 6 inch (or maybe even 8 inch) but reducing the speed using a SMS fan controller.

Would this be too much air moment for this size of grow tent?

How much could I safely adjust it without it getting hot and causing problems?

Reflector

Open to all suggestions here, not thinking about a cool tube unless anyone can persuade me with a good quality small one that will fit?

Did like the look of the Lumii Optii as its got closed ends but I have heard its not very well made.

Would a standard curved reflector cause any problems with the tent getting hot at the edges?

I think that is about it for now. :woohoo:

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
way too specific - fnd what fits your specs , get it and start your new hobby
it aint rocket science .... or is it?

HydeRowe

Have you looked into grow tents by apollo? They are good quality and pretty inexpensive.

Honestly you could go with a 4 inch fan and filter and still be fine but I also like to invest in items with the future in mind. When/If you ever decide to ditch the tent for a full room setup you will be glad you got a larger fan at only a slightly higer price.

No it would not be too much air movement. The more the better. The only thing you might have a problem with is the sound because 6 and 8 inch fans can be rather loud in a small space. Your grow timer should allow you to turn your fan down to 30-40% power with no problems.

A cooltube is a good idea for anyone in a hot climate. Even in colder climate during the summer it can get too hot to have a 600 watt HPS light. However you will get some lumen loss from the cool tube so it can be a trade off.​

You definitely want an air cooled hood of some type. Always buy a bigger fan than you need. You can't have too much air movement and both suggestions have an eye toward a bigger grow in the future. Just about any tent will work. Just get the one that best fits your current requirements. Great thinking on the digi ballast. Its always nice to be able to dial it up or down and to switch between MH or sodium bulbs.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted!

Latest posts

Latest posts