What's new

Help with Coco Nutes

Alios69

Hi All,
I am new at growing, currently I am in the process of buying things and building a grow box.
I am planning on growing in coco perlite mix, using CFL bulbs.
Currently the nutes I have are GH florolicious plus, GH liquid kool bloom, calimagic and GH rapid starter.
Is this enough or do I need to buy extra.
I am planning to hand water with drain to waste, is there a feeding schedule recommended with this.
Thanks

RonSmooth

Veteran
I would keep it as simple as possible. Right now you have 4 different bottles, that is more than enough.

Read up on plant nutrition. Learn which nutrients a plant needs during each growth cycle and feed them those. If you're not one for reading, follow the directions on the bottle.

I use Dyna-Gro and GH Maxibloom. With the Maxibloom, I only need to measure 7g/gal of water and add a bit of Dyna-Gro "Protekt" to lower the pH. Right now, I'm using up some old Dyna-Gro bottles I have. I use GROW, BLOOM and Protekt. Definitely check out Maxibloom. It is the easiest and most effective nutrient regiment I have found. Look through the "K.I.S.S. Method" thread.

And consider nixing the perlite. It is unnecessary. Eliminate all extraneous variables.

If you really want to go low maintenance, get Blumats. They are an auto-watering system that uses no power. An amazing product. Hand watering is fine if you can do it. You'll have to water at least once a day when they are really going.

My other advice would be to lose the CFL's and get a PLL fixture. The spiral bulbs are not good grow lights.

HydeRowe

You need a different type of fertilizer entirely. You don't have any base fertilizer.

florolicious is an amino acid/minieral booster
kool bloom is a flowering booster
calimagic is just calcium and magnesium
and rapid start is just a root hormone.

All of these will not satisfy your plants. I would recommend you invest in Maxibloom and set aside the rest. None of those other 4 boosters are required. Get the basics down and THEN experiment with those boosters.

Now about feeding with coco. If you want to experience the growth rates that coco is famous for you need to water 2 to 4 times per day. You do not want to give so much water as the Coco is completely soaked 24/7. You want to give just enough to wet the medium but not too much so the medium is still wet when you water it again later in the day. This can be a tricky balance to figure out because it adjusts according to container and plant size. Experimentation is key.

Like RonSmooth said get rid of the perlite. It won't help you, it will just cost you money and time.

Also 10% runoff being required in coco is a myth. If you keep your medium moist and don't let it completely dry out you will not have any problem with salt build.

Latest posts

Latest posts