What's new

Wondering about mother plants

Ommi

My first grow is now just over 1 month into flower and Im already planning my second grow since I still have a lot of seeds left over.

I was wondering about mother plants and been searching around, but I cant seem to find a good thread about how to maintain motherplants and how to and where to take the clones.

I realise the nodes are the clones, Im not totally clueless but from my few plants I have now there were not that many nodes even though I LST them, I have about 5 - 7 tops on my biggest plant at the moment and then each of those nodes obviously has smaller nodes coming from them but nothing more then maybe 1 - 2 cm, I supose if I would LST the nodes as well I would get a lot more, but I still cant figgure out how people are managing like 20 clones of one mother plant every month !?

afaik the nodes dont grow back if you cut them at the stem, do they grow fast enough back if you "top" a node ?

If you guys know of any good guides to how to maintain a healthy and good motherplant or any tips are greatly appriciated :)

thanks !

Find a feed schedule and just keep repeating the last week of veg state, Keep Nitrogen mid high, Phosphorus Low---but just a smidge, and Potassium Low to mid.

N-Green Leaves, new veg growth
P-Internodal spacing, root development, flower builder
K-Plants immune system, thicker reinforced branches.

Humboldt natural grow is 3-1-3, I add a lil blood meal for slow release N also.

Keep moving to a bigger and bigger container, rootbound plants loose vigor, until you make a new smaller mom, and the once that one is big enough to replace the original, then flower or kill off your mom, I flower the moms out as my way of saying thanks for all the clones, you didn't die in vein. All she wanted to do was live and pass her genes onto the next generation, I gave her that chance, but I never tell her there are no boys in that room, but she struts her stuff and I know she gets enjoyment just getting pretty for passing pollen..

Last edited:
D

danimarie193

I keep my moms in smart pots so the dont get root bound. They make tons of sizes so that should not be a problem.

dondeago

I keep my moms in smart pots so the dont get root bound. They make tons of sizes so that should not be a problem.

exactly..... also, if you can afford it, get some motherplant foliar spray from your local hydro shop and give a good squirt 2 weeks before you want the cuts and just watch the new shoots pop up all over the place.

Try to keep your mom as healthy as possible, remember that the genetics for your whole grow will be produced by this mom..... its worth spending a bit to keep all the babies healthy.

O

OGfarmerted

ok, start a plant and top it, flower it, find a good girl and put her back into veg . let her branch a little and now top again and do the side shoots that came up because of the original pinch. now you have a decent canopy.
i just keep cutting the tops off to form a huge bush with lots of undergrowth . this gives me plenty of material for clones.
i take cuts from the lower material that isnt as hardened as the upper growth that is older and has had time to get wind stiff.

the main thing here is to keep trimming a flat level so the canopy never has any taller spots, this keeps the topping going and new growth from underneath coming up-
pic related - 2 moms i used to keep that gave up over 20+ cuttings at a time
picture.php

Last edited: