What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

That is interesting what you say about the weight being the result of resin build up on the buds, and not the actual bud greenery growing to add the weight. How would you know that this is true...has anyone ever measured this?

yes i have , how? by extracting the raisin ( containing THC and other cannabiniods)from the dry bud with an appropriate solvent such as petroleum ether. The weight of the bud dramatically reduces.

It s time to harvest when the trichs are at thier maximum volume ,and not to much CBD is present (oxidized THC)

Last edited:
G

Hal said:
A question regarding CFL's....

Anyone ever bother to measure the light output of a brand new CFL to one that has, lets say, 900 hrs of use?

I'm wondering if part of the reason my recent harvest resulted in light airy buds was a diminished capacity of the CFL's that I was using....they were the same ones that I used on the previous grow.

yeah i've done that test, i don't think those 900 hrs wore out your bulbs. the operating temperature and orientation of your cfl's is a huge factor concerning light output, efficiency, power etc. if there was a shift in ambient temps from when you first used your cfl's then you will notice a difference in performance, doubtless.

G

sounds good hal, nice strain choices, will this be another 12/12 from seed or will you be vegging for a period?

either way ill be watching :joint:

ngakpa

Veteran
heya, am I right in thinking countries which are just south of the equator will actually be closer to year round 12/12?

so for instance parts of Angola, DR of Congo and Tanzania ... ?

Senegal Haze is so far looking fine on 12/12 - just over 1 metre and entering full flower ... end product is the real issue, shall see

Last edited:
H

Hal

I'll be doing the 12/12 thing again. I don't see any reason to grow with a veg period, especially using CFL's as light, they don't penetrate very well, so keeping the plants as compact as possible is smart growing.

Hey ngakpa...

Are you growing your plant indoors or outdoors? Sounds by your question that you are growing in the natural light provided by the sun at your location somewhere around the equator.

ngakpa

Veteran
400W HPS 12/12

actually I have had another "brain wave" and am now looking to oscilate between 14/10 and 12/12 switched back to 14 during full flower to provide brief veg periods for eq. sat seedlings and hybrids, but only for 7 - 10 days so as not to disturb flowering

so 12/12 with occasional timed bursts of 14/10 for new waves of seedlings

Last edited:
Munkie Way to grow I like this thread. lol 12/12 hasnt been discussed since OG days.

Couple things to add, hydro 12 12 should be someones next test. I cant think right now how to start a seed in a dwc\hydro bucket though. I'm having enough trouble keeping algea away in my DWC trees and summer is coming quick. there might be some fast soil growers but hydroponics is the speed king. Dammit I completely forgot what else I had to say, see what happens when you DON'T smoke in a couple days, my head is shot. Ill jsut edit this post when I remember.
Ive been putting my CFL's in those cheap home Depot reflectors look like half a globe and my bulbs have been burning out @ $4 a bulb I dont think thats fair, I keep them on 24/7. anyway wheres my papers

Lofty

welcome MH, i'm just setting up a flood and drain pot to try a power plant seed side by side with soil, if its a male ill just do another one.

atmosphere thats a great looking indica, y veg for a week? thats breaking yr own rules, hehe.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
ngakpa said:
heya, am I right in thinking countries which are just south of the equator will actually be closer to year round 12/12?

so for instance parts of Angola, DR of Congo and Tanzania ... ?

Senegal Haze is so far looking fine on 12/12 - just over 1 metre and entering full flower ... end product is the real issue, shall see

i am north of the equator, and get virtual 12/12 year round. summer solstice it is 12.5/11.5 and in winter solstice it is 11.5/12.5

the malawis i have grown here were germinated a couple months before winter solstice and didn't grow big at all, i am guessing since malawi is way south in comparison, that the photoperiod had to do with it... :confused:

peace

Lofty said:
welcome MH, i'm just setting up a flood and drain pot to try a power plant seed side by side with soil, if its a male ill just do another one.

atmosphere thats a great looking indica, y veg for a week? thats breaking yr own rules, hehe.

Thats true , but it shows an indica can do fine with no or almost no veg period.

ngakpa

Veteran
PazVerdeRadical said:
i am north of the equator, and get virtual 12/12 year round. summer solstice it is 12.5/11.5 and in winter solstice it is 11.5/12.5

the malawis i have grown here were germinated a couple months before winter solstice and didn't grow big at all, i am guessing since malawi is way south in comparison, that the photoperiod had to do with it... :confused:

peace

interesting ... defintiely I had imagined Malawi to be closer to the equator than it is -

though still, I think Malawi hybrids are a good option for straight to 12/12 growers using 400W

to me it seems reasonable that strains which originate in a 12/12 or thereabouts region should be better suited to starting on 12/12 ... are there any good reasons to discount that assumption?

will be trying SamS's Neville's Haze x Colombian Red from seed with maybe 7 - 10 days 14/10 then onto 12/12

starting them straight into 7.5 litres, then up into 12 inch diams in early flowering to maximise plant size

I am really tempted to try ACE's Congo from seed in a similar way, though Dubi would seem to feel it is a bad idea

fuck's sake I keep on writing 14/12 the whole time when I mean 14/10

Last edited:
H

Hal

wait...you mean there isn't 26 hrs in a day? WTF?! I hate it when I have brain farts like that...we all new what ya meant ngakpa.

I think you are correct in figuring that equatorial strains will do good using this light regimen. But I also think it is WRONG to assume strains that are native to areas AWAY from the equator will do badly using this light regimem. We need to do a bunch of grows in an experiment to come to any conclusions.

Last edited:

Lofty

anybody had any experiance with power plant 12/12 from seed? i've got som in now. also has anybody don dwc, nft or flood and drain with seeds 12/12?

i'm setting up i flood and drain bucket to run side by side to the soil.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran

heres some of my 12/12 from seed. didnt show sex till 25, and 31 days. 1 showed at 25 days, the rest showed ~ around day 31. so far only 2 are mature (alternating nodes) the rest are still "vegging" as we all know marijuana plants dont "flower" till they are mature.

chosen

Veteran
Got 12/12 in hydro/aero starting right now. I've got 7 mango and 9 Afghani Specials started about 10 days apart. My mango has just come up. Got to keep my numbers low for my medical permit. I'll put up some pics on MOnday or Tuesday. I don't have a perfect light tight room to flower in either. 12/12 should help fix that too.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
1 is UBS (unknown bagseed.)
Smells fruity like some sort of berries or something,thats the leaves, the stem smells like lemons.

the other 4 i call LemonPuke (UbsxUbs)
smells lemony, but when in full flower it starts to stink a nauseating smell like puke. thats why i call it lemonpuke.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts