What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st Cco Run, Couple Problems ( Pics )

G

When I first saw the pic I immediately thought it was a ph issue... which it seems to be. Can't overwater 50-50 coco perlite....unless there are no drain holes in bottom of that pot.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
I wanted to add that the "wilting" or "droopy" leaves could also be a sign of lockout in coco....it's weird...in DWC, in my limited experience (I'm a novice), overferted plants showed a ramshorn...burnt tips....and if severe necrotic and burnt up leaves....but I have found another consistent indicator in my 50/50 coco/perlite setup.....droopy leaves and lockout

Sadly, I have locked out plants numerous times in coco and have pics and threads to back up my claim :D ....and when it happens in coco/perlite the leaves lose "turgor"....when I see any drooping I immediately suspect overfert lol...one night I read a post by Slickster and he/she pointed out droopy leaves' asscociation with lockout....hadn't read that before...

peace

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
GreenStreet said:
I tell you what, normally I would let it go, but your smart remarks bug me to much. Have a pow wow with the other moderators and let them read the post before you call someone's advice dangerous. Let them read the post and respond to my advice. If they say my advice is dangerous, I will gladly apologize for my remarks. But until then, you should keep your mouth shut. I posted a method for cleaning coco for reuse and you wrote in one of your posts to it that you didn't realize you could reuse coco and your a moderator? And if you deny it, bump the thread and you can read your own post.
GS

Greetings GreenStreet

let the pow wow continue.......

everyone that knows me on these boards knows that i have been reusing my coco for many years, i challenge you to show me where i posted that i didn't know coco could be reused. :biglaugh:

i have been preaching coco reuse for ever. i use one set of coco slabs for at least 3 or 4 grows. i may have complimented you on posting your methods for reuse, but if you seriously think you are the one that tought me about reusing coco, then all i can do is roflmao.

and yes, spraying wilted plants with the grow lights on is Dangerous!

call as many fellow mods as you like, as growers they will know the truth of what i said about spraying wilted plants with the lights on, also about coco and perlit being fast draining and drying, making a further transplant totally unneeded.

i'm here and i'm ready to debate all you want on this point. because i know what i'm saying is right. you know how i know? i know because i have done it.

happy days :wave:

i want to know if you flushed out the coco before using it!! if not the coco has a ec that is so high it dosen;t show up on a ec meter!! i had to flush it out 6 times ti still have a ppm of 200,, after the 7th flush i got it down to were it wasen't reading on the meter!!
it is so important to flush the coco before use!! has high amounts or phos,, and pota,, and sodium! and the amounts are deadly to plants!!
plus to add i don;t use perlite in coco,, kinda like defeating the purpose,, i mean the coco 's best properties are that it's ablity to have great amounts of oxygen!! so perlite imo is not needed! coco kinda replaces the perlite ,, and whats so good about it is that it holds water and nutes!! (csi) properties .. is what the scale of a medium holds what amount of nutes ,, perlite has no (csi) ability! thats why ya can't just grow in perlite!! (ya could but) ,, but i think ppl need to just flush it more than anything ,, hope this post helped!
sorry about ya luck ,, BUT TO GAIN << ALSO MEANS TO LOSE FOR A LIL WHILE!
when ya get it worked out you will gain back what ya lost!!

-VT- said:
I wanted to add that the "wilting" or "droopy" leaves could also be a sign of lockout in coco....it's weird...in DWC, in my limited experience (I'm a novice), overferted plants showed a ramshorn...burnt tips....and if severe necrotic and burnt up leaves....but I have found another consistent indicator in my 50/50 coco/perlite setup.....droopy leaves and lockout

Sadly, I have locked out plants numerous times in coco and have pics and threads to back up my claim :D ....and when it happens in coco/perlite the leaves lose "turgor"....when I see any drooping I immediately suspect overfert lol...one night I read a post by Slickster and he/she pointed out droopy leaves' asscociation with lockout....hadn't read that before...

peace

right on VT!! great addition!!

(tugor) is when the soil or med,, is so hot with ferts ,, that the plant can't pull up water ,, and it don;t want to,, it wants to take what water it has in the plants and push the hot ferts away from it with thge water!! the plant send the water down to the roots in hopes it can wash away the hot ferts that are bruning it! when you see leaves that are erect or standing srtaight up ,, looks like there trying to reach the light!! that means the( tugor) is in balance! or it ,means that the plant is pulling up the fuel in the soil or med,,
and means the plant is in balance!! now i have seen hormones make the plants stand up !! but this is different!! ,,

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
SUNSIMULATOR+ said:
i want to know if you flushed out the coco before using it!! if not the coco has a ec that is so high it dosen;t show up on a ec meter!! i had to flush it out 6 times ti still have a ppm of 200,, after the 7th flush i got it down to were it wasen't reading on the meter!!
it is so important to flush the coco before use!! has high amounts or phos,, and pota,, and sodium! and the amounts are deadly to plants!!
plus to add i don;t use perlite in coco,, kinda like defeating the purpose,, i mean the coco 's best properties are that it's ablity to have great amounts of oxygen!! so perlite imo is not needed! coco kinda replaces the perlite ,, and whats so good about it is that it holds water and nutes!! (csi) properties .. is what the scale of a medium holds what amount of nutes ,, perlite has no (csi) ability! thats why ya can't just grow in perlite!! (ya could but) ,, but i think ppl need to just flush it more than anything ,, hope this post helped!
sorry about ya luck ,, BUT TO GAIN << ALSO MEANS TO LOSE FOR A LIL WHILE!
when ya get it worked out you will gain back what ya lost!!

this is excellent advise, i always flush my coco to start with with ph corrected water until i have the coco so full of water that it's gushing out the bottom. then i measure the ec of that water to decide on how much longer to flush.

the thing is canna has improved by leaps and bounds in this direction, the new coco is seldom higher then ec 1.2 now a days. but this doesn't guarantee that every bag or slab will be the same. specially the cheaper coco out there needs a good flush to start it off on the right track. but even with a low ec i always use plain ph'ed water to soak my coco for the first time, right after the new rw cubes are planted on a new set of slabs, i will run a whole tank through till every single slab is equally soaked and run off is gushing back. if the ec is cool at this point i'll stop, if its above 1.5 i'll keep flushing till it's down to approximately 1.0 , only then will i add nutes to my tank.

back in the first days of coco being sold by canna, the stuff often had an ec so high it was crazy. i remember spending a couple of hours flushing the coco down from ec 4.0 and shit like that, lol. but that was years ago, canna and many others companies have improved their coco standards a whole lot.

drew1503

Yes, I flushed my coco before use with RO water from the store across the street, however, I have heard that you do not need to flush Canna Coco but like I said I am new to coco but not to growing. It seems letting them dry out a little has perked them up, the hydro store was out of the PH meters so I might have to get a cheapo from HD or Lowe's today. Lets say I overfed these babies and they are locked out as suggested, do I flush as I did in soil or is there a different method? Also, i do think you can overwater coco as the pots were still very heavy after one day w/o water. I have some of the wifes house plants in 100% coco and they are fine, strange. I think part of it was stress since they sat in water for 1 night after i got them from the club. There is new growth now and is healthy. What would you guys do? Flush, feed? I have not fed them in a day now, just used Riz. And again, thanks to ALL of you.

Oh and can anyone point me in the direction of a DIY dripper for these babies?

GreenStreet

Hey Drew,
You can overwater coco, regardless of what others say and I think that was your problem. I wouldn't feed now. Wait till the mix has dried and your plants have hardened off alittle. Press down on the medium alittle bit and see if you get any runoff. I would also add more coco to your mix, you can add some dry coco to your pots which will help absorb any excess moisture. Your grow will turn out fine.

Sorry for the previous posts, but I hate when people make smartass comments, especially when their misinformed and off topic.
GS

bullseye

regardless of what others say i have yet 2 see a well rooted clone in coco.overwatered any one used a autopot ? with coco, there sat in 25mm of nutes 24,7 big 15 litre pots sogged wet through .heavy as fuck iv'e grew big buds this way but only with coco .like any medium you transplant into you need adiquit roots to start with and correct ph is a must when feeding clones 10ml or 100ml of un ph'd nutes to a clone is bad news

bullseye

oh and he used bare rooted clones prob come out of aero cloner were they are constantly sprayed always wet (overwaterd) no they love it! but mine always hate t
ransplant time . i my self dont think you can overwater a well established mediumless clone in coco but i dont exspect everyone to agree and dont realy care! its about growing in coco how you do it is up to you! but i happen to know first hand gaius grows very nice buds in coco some of the best weed i have ever tasted.just saying he nows his stuff! (oh and its def a shock+ph prob u got there dude)how well rooted were the clones drew.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Sorry for the previous posts, but I hate when people make smartass comments, especially when their misinformed and off topic.

rofl that's rich, that is. in fact i totally agree, i hate it too, lol. i wonder how happy drew would be, had he followed your advice of spraying the wilted plants?
and now you are telling him to add coco to the mix? to me this shows that you don't have a real understanding of the fact that coco is a hydroponic medium, if only you chose to use it that way. but either way the initial steps remain the same.

by the way, what smart ass comments in particular? you accuse me of things and are generally rude even though all i'm doing is giving drew, good advise in his situation, based on experience. where as you seem to be more interested in being right then actually helping. am i not allowed to give my opinion here, or what's getting your knickers in such a twist?

drew, even if the pot of coco is heavy with water, there is still enough air in there for the roots to prosper. for the rooting in stage it's best not to give water too often, specially if you intend to hand water. this will make the plant develop its roots faster. but if you feel your coco could be over ferted, then flushing your plants and medium once more is the only solution. don't even use rhizo, just get the high salt levels dissolved, then go back to nutrients next watering.

don't worry about heavy pots, thats normal when they are so small, that will soon change once they have developed a good root system.

a few days after the flush give them a dose of both rhizo and A+B at 1ml per lt. if they are already perking up, then skip the flush and go to the rhizo and A+B again.

good growings

G

Put me4 down in the " no way they're overwatered" group. They are in coco...no such thing as over watered. It looks to me like you put them into shock when you transplanted them. What did you clone in? I use a bubler...and I just put the bare clone with lots of roots into the coco, and cover up. never a problem. But I do find that having lots of roots on the clone before putting it in the coco really helps them get going sooner.

It's always best to not water the clones too much...not that overwatering is an issue...but letting it dry abit creates a more vigerous root system as it looks for food and water as opposed to a lazy root system that gets watered all the time.

My advice is...dome each cutting if you can( cutting a 2L pop bottle, and using the bottom half works well ), and foliar feed with nitrozyme or something similar. Take the dome off once a day...and in a couple of days thy'll be flying along.

Replanting now will probably kill them. The roots are way too fragile at this age.

Cheers,
SH