What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Planning a 2'x3' 400w grow

zappa66

I’m planning a grow at the moment using a 2’ x 3’ 5.5’ grow tent.

I would like to utilize my s&p td100 (140cfm) fan that I already have. At the moment I’m trying to decide if a dimmable 400w hps in a cooltube would be doable.

The other option would be to pick up a few led lights, I have a black star 240 (130 actual draw). I could pick up two more comparable lights for 300/400w. I know that the s&p could handle the led lighting but am unsure about the 400w of hps. Anyone have experience there?

My goal and/or plan would be a traditional scrog using two plants. Seems like the 400w hps would give me a good shot at 5 or 6+oz. I'm not sure what the led would do in the same space. Understand that I would be using fairly cheap units not some highbrow black dog, or relatively expensive new tech led units.

My real conundrum is that I have all kinds of 4" grow supplies from previous grows and am looking to step up without buying too much new equipment.

edit* I'd just like to add that budget is a consideration, going totally frugal on this one.

Looking at:
tent
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9OVMO8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 ($41)

ipower 400w cool tube
https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Digit...516029029&sr=1-4&keywords=400w+hps+grow+light ($140)

or some cheap asian led off amazon. Looks like I can get about 260w actual draw (+the 130w I already have on hand) for about the same money as the hps. say 2x https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAZ2VS...xM&pd_rd_r=MADSKCXVKP0CP485T1DS&pd_rd_w=0SrlX

Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

If you aren't growing in a legal state, I would be very careful with that ipower. RFI x1000. Cable company wanted in. Told me I was disrupting upwards of 600 peoples service with a 600w balast.

Also, a 4" cooltube aint gonna have the same efficacy as an 8 inch. The cooltube glass is just way too close to the bulb to be effectively cooled. The 6"ers still get pretty hot.

Running larger fans on a dimmer is also going to be much quieter. If I were pinching pennies I would just run the 4" stuff, but I certainly wouldn't continue to buy 4" gear.

zappa66

I live in a rural area, soon to be legal (july 1), certainly no cable around. I just hate to buy a new larger sized S&P and carbon filter as i shelled out a fair bit for the fan and the filter is relatively new. Seems that the cool tube that comes with that ipower is a 6" so it would run:

can>S&P 100>4" to 6" adaptor>cool tube> exhaust.

Bobby Boucher

It's nice to buy nice things the first time. I have 3 of those 6" Ipower cooltubes, and I really really wish I would have went with 8"ers.

Jus sayin..

I don't know enough about cheap led fixtures or how they compare to hps to comment on that. Sorry.

zappa66

I appreciate the reply, I know what you mean on buy once cry once. Mostly my growing is outside. All my 4" oriented stuff was for starting stuff to get tossed outside.

As to Leds- hell, I wish I knew. I see some good grows with older gen. Leds, then I see people shit all over them. The tech seems to be improving rapidly, I am just not sure if its at the point where I want to drop $600 on a light. seems like some ok ones on the cheap side as far as 1$/w but how they compare to newer ones and Hps...?

A heads up on 400s...they don’t have the greatest light penetration. Something to consider with cool tube factored in with height of tent and potential heat from just using the 4”. You might be lookin at some airier fluffy buds if that’s a concern.

My experience is with a vertical bare bulb in a 30”x30” but my best results are around 10” from my bulb. 10in? muffin fan blowing up and 6” exhaust fan dialed down.

zappa66

Joe: I did gather that the penetration is not great w/ the 400s, however I plan on having a nice flat scrog canopy so thats not the issue that really concerns me. However I have never tried to cool a larger wattage lamp before so I appreciate the two cents.

ronbo51

Veteran
Make your own light using store bought led's. Pull the globes off and use 30-40 watts per sq ft. No heat. Great grows using this method. I am doing this now. Never better. Plants love it. Go check out the store bought led thread in grow diaries> micro grows. Good luck.

zappa66

Hey everyone, just wanted to update. I decided to hold off on buying extra lights for now. I have my 130w led and an older 150hps that will get me along for a while.

Im going to save up a bit more scratch and order a 260w qb in a few months.
https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/diy/products/260w-qb-led-kit

I based this decision off the fact that A) older led lights just don't seem to be that great and B) I really like my little S&P fan and can't really imagine getting anything louder as would be needed to go with a 250/400hps

ion

If you got the incentive you could build a frame and go with screwin led....i run it in a tent same size and is insanely effective...25w per sq is minimum....you can mix color temp, adjust wattage easy. 2 days solid work and roughly 50-100 in cabbage and yer there

Latest posts

Latest posts