What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mysterious condition dubbed 'scromiting' hits weed smokers across the US !

Jhhnn

Veteran
I dunno, guys. I figure that Douglas.Curtis is allergic to aza. I figure that Bobby Boucher should have pitched the stuff he suspected of being contaminated. Hell, smoking the stuff rather than eating it might have destroyed the toxins for all we know.

People can be allergic to all kinds of things & damned near anything. Bee stings & peanuts can be fatal to some people. Beyond that, there's no reason to believe that store bought weed is any dirtier than black market weed, either. It doesn't make sense. Shee-it, Sherlock- some black market growers will put anything on it to bring in the crop because it's strictly a criminal enterprise for them, like selling heroin.

The other side of it is that some unlucky people's systems may just process cannabis differently-

With the large prevalence of marijuana use in the world, why does it appear that so few patients develop CHS? Certain individuals may have a genetic polymorphisms in the cytochrome P450 enzymes responsible for the metabolism of the cannabinoids [62,72]. This could result in excessive levels of pro-emetic cannabinoids or emetogenic metabolites. Such genetic variations have yet to be studied in patients diagnosed with CHS and represent an area for future research.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576702/

It's an interesting read, anyway. Anybody experiencing the symptoms can figure out if they have it just by laying off the weed for a period of time to see what happens. As more people use more weed we're finding out new things about it & this may just be part of the truth.

wasgedn

its made up...

smart pollution....

humans smoke since thousends of years and finally now they discover this , no one never heard of it before..come on..
------------------
you can also realize bad propaganda bout cannabis in movies and series..
new special genetics are praised or demonised
talking from cocaine like effects...and ultra cannabis more potent than LSD

Bobby Boucher

Hell, smoking the stuff rather than eating it might have destroyed the toxins for all we know.

Not taking that option off the table, but I was assuming that a thorough decarb at 295 and a pass through the liver would be less problematic than straight freebasing pesticides, or at least that is what I was led to believe, someplace or another.

What is your blood type and what foods are you eating?

Half cherokee/mayan, with cherokee on both sides, blood type O-.

I can't drink clear liquor at all without blacking out, or handle any liquor very well for that matter, and my throat immediately stings and swells when I eat packaged foods.

Schizophrenia, depression, anxiety all run in the family. I did NOT fare well with acid or x AT ALL but have had nothing but incredible experiences with shrooms. I won't take anything that has been processed anymore 'cept for bho.

I eat very well. All my money goes to groceries. Pure steak, salmon, fruits and veggies. I lift my weights 3x a week. I do my cardio. I'm a very healthy boy, asides from my nasty half a pack a day habbit.

I've obviously assumed that my reaction was caused by a contaminant, but the facts are that around these parts, you have to be connected to get weed that isn't contaminated. I've always been on the same "pot is safer than milk" side of the fence as you guys, but the chemicals that that we use aren't safe at all when you put them into the hands of dangerous idiots who don't know basic math, or are just unscrupulously trying to make a quick buck.

Also, who is to say that scrommiting isn't a healthy release? That it isn't the THC/CBD all on its own doing what it needs to do for a particular patient? People go to pretty great lengths to get their hands on toad venom to go and scrommit their brains out and they call it "healing".

I personally just don't think any of us have the medical qualifications to deny each others suffering, and even if we did, it simply isn't the right thing to do.

End rant. I'm for real just gonna leave this chair here for someone else to fill in. Can't help but feel that I'm shouting into the wind.

Jhhnn

Veteran
its made up...

smart pollution....

humans smoke since thousends of years and finally now they discover this , no one never heard of it before..come on..
------------------
you can also realize bad propaganda bout cannabis in movies and series..
new special genetics are praised or demonised
talking from cocaine like effects...and ultra cannabis more potent than LSD

That may just be a function of modern medicine & communication. It's apparently extremely rare, as well. It's not like we'd ever know about some guy in a village in N India exhibiting such symptoms, either.

The truth is that I rarely smoke commercial weed. When I do, it's somebody else's stash or a gift. The organic soil recipe I use has 2 cups of neem meal per 15 gallons. Quite why it's there I don't really know but I'm loathe to change it because my understanding of soil science is weak. It was gifted to me by Eighths-n-Aces & upped my game enormously along with blumats. It ain't broke & I'll be damned if I'll fuck with it because it works really well. I use occasional ewc teas & gnatrol as required but other than that I just let 'em grow & flower in 5 gal fabric pots.

Bobby Boucher

I wouldn't change it either. I'm even tempted to try it. I've worked on and off on pumpkin farm for over decade. I'm super not against the use of pesticides. I'm not a clueless hippie. You gotta do what you gotta do.

If I can rinse your buds with butane and verify that I wasnt left with a toxic puddle of shit, then you must not have sprayed your plants, and they must be safe for consumption, scrommit or no, imo.

Truth is very little can be had from these discussions. At best a few people suffering from a rare condition can come forward and try to validate each others experience as best they can. The shit slinging just seems totally archaic.

html5

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I would have loved to have this be true, the last 10 excruciating years. Unfortunately... this is not propaganda and really exists.

Are you saying that you suffer from scromiting and have for 10 years and are still smoking?

If so I have a few questions..... does your herb come from one grower or multiple sources?...... have you had it lab tested for contaminents, particularily pesticides/fungicides?........ does smoking still provide you joy or relief?...... have you consider not smoking herb?

No offence if I misunderstood. Made me scratch my head. Personally I try not to repeatedly repeat painful behavior.

Sorry for your pain, take care.

troutman

Seed Whore
I wonder if this isn't the result of people using sprays to combat insects, mold,etc.

Like for example, mold can mess up your health.

The sprays kill mold. So how good can that be for you?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Are you saying that you suffer from scromiting and have for 10 years and are still smoking?

If so I have a few questions..... does your herb come from one grower or multiple sources?...... have you had it lab tested for contaminents, particularily pesticides/fungicides?........ does smoking still provide you joy or relief?...... have you consider not smoking herb?

No offence if I misunderstood. Made me scratch my head. Personally I try not to repeatedly repeat painful behavior.

Sorry for your pain, take care.
My CHS started when I moved to California 10 years ago. Nearly all the cannabis at the time caused me significant digestive issues, vomiting and pain. It took me about 3 years to figure out where the problem was coming from. The last 7 years are where I've tested aza breakdown times in cannabis with my own grows, and tested cannabis treated with neem products from other grows.

Anything with neem/aza in it causes problems. Light contamination takes days to weeks before the problems show up. Heavy contamination has symptoms showing up immediately. Dabbing heavily contaminated causes instant problems. The time delay effect with lightly contaminated has been the biggest problem. Dabs made with lightly contaminated cannabis have a much higher concentration than flower and can make recognition/symptoms show up quicker.

I can dab or smoke as much "clean" cannabis as I want. Zero issues. If aza wasn't a cause of CHS, the last 10 years would have been SIGNIFICANTLY different for me. Being incapacitated in your mid 30's, to the point you're using mass opiates and a walker, is massively scary. Especially when every doctor you talk to throws up their hands and says, "I have no idea what's going on."

So, for me it's strictly aza related. The last year without growing my own has been a nightmare. The best thing which happened this year was getting rid of the overblown H.Pylori infection which caused continued digestive issues after each aza poisoning. I'm now 30 days into flower, so things are looking up.
:tiphat:
Save

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I wonder if this isn't the result of people using sprays to combat insects, mold,etc.

Like for example, mold can mess up your health.

The sprays kill mold. So how good can that be for you?

Great point.

I'm fortunate to have a forest in my yard with fantastic humus. I'll scrape off the top 1 1/2 inch because it's a little acidic (ph5) from the decomposing veg, after that it's a golden 6 and a bit. The only thing I'll give them is water from the little creeks that run through the bush. I may get less than optimal yields, but I'm looking for clean and tasty buds.

I also plan on quick washing the fresh buds to get any bugs, crud, and degraded/dead trichomes off them. I've read nothing but good things from people who wash them.

troutman

Seed Whore
I'm fortunate to have a forest in my yard with fantastic humus. I'll scrape off the top 1 1/2 inch because it's a little acidic (ph5) from the decomposing veg, after that it's a golden 6 and a bit.

Get some dolomitic limestone at a garden centre and apply a little to bring the pH up in the 6 range for longer.

Raho

Veteran
There are already 2 threads dealing with this topic that have gone through all these painful speculations. Please read them.
It is a real thing and it has nothing to do with overdosing on edibles.

In the end, the research documented by doctors doesn't take pesticides into account at all, choosing to blame the symptoms on natural cannabis. This serves the interests of their community. The addition of the colorful new phrase "scromiting" is just anti-weed marketing at it's finest.

Dang Gypsy, I know it's your board an all, but creating this dupe thread was not good.
I know you didn't do it on purpose, but it's a painful drawn out topic with a few suffering people here looking for clues and a bunch of people who have never experienced it and have no clue about the issue taking blind pot shots.

The consensus of those who have experienced it is in: reaction to neem/aza sometimes aggravated by h.pylori.

The established Med/pharma cabal has no vested interest in getting to the bottom of it when the superficial appearance of a sickness caused by cannabis is something they have been looking for since Harry Anslinger's days.

Last edited:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I think it is a good topic. The pesticide thing needs to be addressed and discussed until every smoker and grower is aware of the dangers.

Just a few days ago one of my neighbors was telling me I am the only one he knows with weed that burns smooth. Everybody elses hurts his throat and lungs or leaves weird flavors in his mouth. When I worked at the grow store it was crazy the amount of ramdom stuff people gladly spray on there herbs. Some just for prevenative even on flowers. I met several people who have no problem using systemics all the way through flower. When I got mites and shut down last summer to clean up I had 2 different people offer me avid and floromite and when I said I would never sell anything treated with those they said they knew where to sell them. I got mad and talked shit. Fucked up!

therevverend

Veteran
Sucks that people have had to struggle with this issue for so long but good that it's being diagnosed. The scientific community is good at solving 'one switch' problems where there is only one cause for the effect. When there are two or more switches being thrown it has a lot of trouble. The combination of H. Pylori and insecticides makes a lot of sense. Now it's a matter of bringing it to the medical community's attention. I suspect the new recreational industry will not be pleased.
I had an H. Pylori infection one time (not cannabis related) and it isn't fun. The one helpful part I learned is to eat lots of probiotic foods. My stomach bacteria was gone for a while.
Glad I grow my own so I don't have to deal with any of this mess. If you're smoking it you should be growing it. It's astounding to me how many people I know have switched to doing business with the Rec stores despite their obvious shortcomings. I figured the novelty of going to a shop and having a selection would wear off but never underestimate the power of convenience and laziness..

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I saw a commercial for one of these DNA test places, that claims they can tell you your allergies, from the mouth swab. Would be nice if the people with scromitting or CHS had this test, to see if they have something in common. Of course their weed should be tested also.