What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

coxnox

Veteran
Hi,

i will just give my advice with my brand new experience(so take it lightly and wait other confirm), you don't wanna transplant in a so big bucket if you don't want have overwatering problem, you should transplant them first in a 1 or 2L pot or so, they will grow much faster, in the coir all you want is get a big roots system as fast as possible to avoid any problem and to begin the multi feed(multi drip)

don't put any fabric at the bottom, there is no fallout with coco...only drain, and yu need to drain.

clay pebble at the bottom aren't needed but can help.

A

AshitMyself

hello hundred gram oz i really liked the thread and i am about too grow a cpl of plants in coco
by hand watering them just too see how i get on but one thing you didnt mention is ph what do you ph your nutrient i was going too go with ph6.2 all the way through my grow this is going too be a journey as i kill plants in soil lol

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
I'll get back to you all later, I'm just heading out the door. I keep my PH from 5.8-6.2 depending on which stage I'm at. From Veg - day 21 flower I keep it from 5.8-6.0 because at this range Nitrogen is more readily available, after 21 days flower I like to keep it between 6.0-6.2, at this range more Phosphorous is available for the plants to process. That's just my way of doing it, there really wouldn't be that much difference in Nitrogen availability between 5.8-6.2, only fractions but if I see Nitrogen toxicity coming on I drop the EC and raise the PH up to 6.2 to try and limit the Nitrogen. Also if there is a Nitrogen toxicity I cut off some deep green/leathery leaves to take away some of their energy stores. I find they recover to normality quicker when I do this.

Bush Dr likes to keep his PH at 6.0 throughout the grow to keep his coco stable, I'm gonna have to try this some day, he swears by it.

Back Soon,
HGO

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll get back to you all later, I'm just heading out the door. I keep my PH from 5.8-6.2 depending on which stage I'm at. From Veg - day 21 flower I keep it from 5.8-6.0 because at this range Nitrogen is more readily available, after 21 days flower I like to keep it between 6.0-6.2, at this range more Phosphorous is available for the plants to process. That's just my way of doing it, there really wouldn't be that much difference in Nitrogen availability between 5.8-6.2, only fractions but if I see Nitrogen toxicity coming on I drop the EC and raise the PH up to 6.2 to try and limit the Nitrogen. Also if there is a Nitrogen toxicity I cut off some deep green/leathery leaves to take away some of their energy stores. I find they recover to normality quicker when I do this.

Bush Dr likes to keep his PH at 6.0 throughout the grow to keep his coco stable, I'm gonna have to try this some day, he swears by it.
:yeahthats :good:

sureshot66

Veteran
great info in here,thanks hgo & others, just started my 1st dripper dtw room couple of hiccups but things have smoothed out

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Nice setup sureshot, I wish I had the space that you have :) Are you growing in coco beds with perlite? Oh and are you using the topspin drippers?

Peace,
HGO

J

Johnny Redthumb

whats up HGO! long time no speak! coco with drippers is the best thing going, IMO. i hope sri lanka doesn't run out of coconuts anytime soon...

sureshot66

Veteran
Thanks hgo, yes beds with perlite hydroton and topspins that drain to totes with sumps, 5 for now ill add a 6th when it cools off. I do the bodybuild feed as well, short cycles. I transplanted a bunch of plants so I also starve em to build the root zone. I had mag deficiency in a bunch leaves were taco'd so I've been more dilligent with cal mag and it's rectified. This run has a grip of strains that ill reduce once I decide which ones to focus on :)

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Sounds great SS, which strain are ya growing? Do ya veg for long? Calmag is a lifesaver, I never grow without it, I also like to use Canna's trace mix in small doses. How long do you use Calmag for?

HGO

sureshot66

Veteran
Pick one hgo I'm sure it's in here :D I've got sour og,,afghan kush,Louie,wifi,diablo,alien fire og,and GS Cookies, I think that's it...I use 5ml cal mag per g as they were really mg starved, I pretty much just follow there lead on what they need, I had some vegging in the trays and some in a veg room that got transplanted a week ago I've been seeing roots out the sides of the liners of the transplant trays for a few days so I know they're spreading out just giving em another few days to spread then ill flip. Been watering the transplant trays less to help em thru shock and keep em searching. I had ac problems with one of my mini splits it has stainless steel braided lines that were leaking was a bitch to find and they don't make a replacement so I cut em welded in copper and now I'm good. What is canna trace? I'm really new to coco I used to do buckets back in the og days, retired for 5 years n now I'm back, friends have been swearing by it for years, I love the reusable aspect of beds, rinse,charge and go. I can pretty much tell the sour og and Gsc will be my staples unless something else surprises me :D
Ps what's a paragraph? :pirate:

NKOTS

follow the pink rabbit!
Veteran
hi hgo, hi folks

i feel very inspired by the info in the first pages of the thread, thanks all!
still need to read through the rest :]

i just started my 1st attempt at coco hempy DTW auto-feeding dripper system, it's a CFL micro grow (beware! lol) in 8 Ltrs container

the coco substrate was covered by perlite to reduce water evaporation:

a dripper ring surrounding the plant is what i installed at the exit:

HotMix clone sits in there and got somewhat trained:

picture.php

find more details in the 19th page of the rabbit burrow if you like!

Great thread guys, thanks for the tips! Been hand watering in 2gal pots with hydroton on top and bottom, but I'm ready to go with a drip fed dtw. I'm lookin to use a PVC manifold, but don't know what drippers to use, or how to best attach the feed lines to the PVC. Thanks in advance!

coxnox

Veteran
Hi HGO,

have a question about the EC, you say that when you start multi feeding daily you put your EC as low as 1.3... ok but are you talking about nutes EC or real EC(with the EC of the tap water)?
and if it's the real EC, what is your tap water like ?

InjectTruth

Am I trippin or just confusing this for another thread? I remember pics in the first few posts that were in a 6.5l pot that were weighing in at 9oz. They were explicitly labeled and prominently displayed.

I have a buddy who is doin things all wrong and he refuses to believe this is possible with drip irrigation. Tryin to show him those pics.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or did they just get taken down for some reason?

vta

Veteran
Hundred Gram Oz said:
Keep watering them gals and they will pay ya back in the end. We call it Drain To Waste but come harvest time it's obvious that the 'Waste' wasn't wasted at all. Constant fresh nutes, salts being washed away, flushing every day, all the little things come together.

Best coco advice...ever....

Latest posts

Latest posts