What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Failing? Tried Everything? Found the missing link?

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Thanks for this tip. I have not considered this since I use Tropf Blumats to feed my mothers. Basically, they drip on them 24x7. I will look into turning up the volume right before taking cuts. Or even foliar feeding water right before.

Standard horticultural practice for commercial nurseries propagating plants...HEALTHY MUMS...always be good to your mum.

Granger2

Veteran
I always water/feed my mothers about 2 hours before taking cuttings. I've been getting 100% success. Good luck. -granger

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
My first results are in, and things look great! I've been having horrible trouble recently trying to get cuttings to root. For the first time in a while, I've had great success using CHC in my propegation trays. I haven't lost a single clone yet, and it's been about 4 weeks. I think the main benefits of the CHC is to keep the patogens at bay. There's no algae and there hasn't been a case of stem rot out of 150 cuttings in Rapid Rooters. About half of the cuttings have shown roots, which is waaaaay better than I've done in a long time. I think all of them will eventually root.

Chlorine in prop trays + freshly repotted mother = best clone results.

PS - Never underestimate the effect a freshly growing mother has on cutting root success.

I found Shock n Swim but its SUPER ShocknSwim. Ingredients listed are 52% Calcium Hypochlorite 48% Other with Minimum available Chlorine 49%
Add 1lb per 12,000 gallons weekly.
States on the bag not to mix with other products or dissolve before use.

Am I okay with this product?

Thanks for any help.

I have another question. When you mix the 1g into a gallon of water does it mean you have to keep adding 1g every few days to keep the water chlorinated like you do when adding the 1fl.oz per 5 gallons in the reservoirs?

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
I have another question. When you mix the 1g into a gallon of water does it mean you have to keep adding 1g every few days to keep the water chlorinated like you do when adding the 1fl.oz per 5 gallons in the reservoirs?

I've been bottling it in light proof bottles. It still smells like chlorine a month later, so I'd guess it's fine.

Herborizer

Veteran

If the one gallon container is sealed, it should last a bit of time. How long, I have not determined yet. I make a new batch every 2-3 weeks. I often wonder how long it will last myself.

BobbySparkle

Cal hyp added at the recommended dose makes the PH in the rez go up. It seems to be acting just like a buffer? Will the added calcium effect other nutrients in the soup? Like say someone is adding CalMag, would adding calcium hypochlorite cause calcium toxicity or lockout conditions?

Thanks Herb, I really appreciate the knowledge :ying:

Herborizer

Veteran
Cal hyp added at the recommended dose makes the PH in the rez go up. It seems to be acting just like a buffer? Will the added calcium effect other nutrients in the soup? Like say someone is adding CalMag, would adding calcium hypochlorite cause calcium toxicity or lockout conditions?

Thanks Herb, I really appreciate the knowledge :ying:

I have not noticed this reaction. Maybe it's nutrient specific. I am using Canna COCO A/B.

BobbySparkle - How long is the PH staying higher? Does it level off after a couple of days?

Herborizer - I just set up with a newly bought and DIY'd rubbermaid aero cloner. Tap water pH'd to 6.2 and a little clonex in the res. I will add the 1fl.oz per 5 gallons every 3 days and let you know how things go.
I hit a rough spell with cloning recently. The slime has been appearing and nothing was getting rid of it, clones would not take no matter what I did. Cant wait to see if this method works.

Herborizer

Veteran
BobbySparkle - How long is the PH staying higher? Does it level off after a couple of days?

Herborizer - I just set up with a newly bought and DIY'd rubbermaid aero cloner. Tap water pH'd to 6.2 and a little clonex in the res. I will add the 1fl.oz per 5 gallons every 3 days and let you know how things go.
I hit a rough spell with cloning recently. The slime has been appearing and nothing was getting rid of it, clones would not take no matter what I did. Cant wait to see if this method works.

Keep us posted. Thanks for chiming in.

BobbySparkle

This mix works in the soup, it requires a little more Ph down at first but stabilizes quite well. Also, with this rise in ph I know its the Cal Hyp not the nasties.

Advanced Nutrients Grow A/B - RDWC & 1 Perlite Hempy.

Keep us posted. Thanks for chiming in.

Its been 10 days since I started using this method of adding chlorine. 10 days and most of the clones have roots so very very happy and a big thank you to this thread.

I also added the same dosage in my veg and flower aero systems and they are all looking very healthy.

Thanks a million.

Herborizer

Veteran
Its been 10 days since I started using this method of adding chlorine. 10 days and most of the clones have roots so very very happy and a big thank you to this thread.

I also added the same dosage in my veg and flower aero systems and they are all looking very healthy.

Thanks a million.

Awesome news!!! Thanks for chiming in again. Report back on repeat success or failure.

Chlorine isn't a 100% cure all for everyone's water problems, but it's probably a solution for most of the people who struggle due to water issues. Safe cheap, and easy to apply.

inzion

you would use 1 liquid oz per 5 gallons of water. Repeat every 3 days.
1 liquid oz = 29.574 ml
1 gallon english 3.78L or american 4.55L? which type of gallon exactly u mean?