What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made some cannabutter for the first time. I followed the instructions in the op, plus added an additional 3 boils with fresh spring water to help remove contaminants. I clarified the butter first, then added back coconut oil to get back to a full pound weighed. Used 2 ozs of recently harvested and dried trim and popcorn bud. Cooked for 3 hours and strained.

The butter looks nice and evenly green. The water after the last boil looked nice and clean. The butter tastes absolutely awful.

I was expecting some flavoring of the butter. But this doesn't even have a hint of butter flavoring left.

I've never had or made cannabutter before. Maybe this is what it's supposed to taste like. But I do not care for it one bit. Is there anything I can do to make it taste better?

insomniac_AU

I made some cannabutter for the first time. I followed the instructions in the op, plus added an additional 3 boils with fresh spring water to help remove contaminants. I clarified the butter first, then added back coconut oil to get back to a full pound weighed. Used 2 ozs of recently harvested and dried trim and popcorn bud. Cooked for 3 hours and strained.

The butter looks nice and evenly green. The water after the last boil looked nice and clean. The butter tastes absolutely awful.

I was expecting some flavoring of the butter. But this doesn't even have a hint of butter flavoring left.

I've never had or made cannabutter before. Maybe this is what it's supposed to taste like. But I do not care for it one bit. Is there anything I can do to make it taste better?
Haha! Yeah tastes like grasshopper spit. That's why you disguise the taste by making brownies or something similar. I'm going to make some myself this weekend.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haha! Yeah tastes like grasshopper spit. That's why you disguise the taste by making brownies or something similar. I'm going to make some myself this weekend.
Well then I guess that's good. Grasshopper spit. :laughing:

So much for my idea of spreading this on my morning toast to enjoy with my coffee. Guess I'll just have to stick with raw honey.

Gonna have to make some truffles or something then...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have been making butter from lightly vaped (one bag per load at 360*) very good bud. The vaped material goes into a tupperware like container until it gets filled up. I keep different strains around and they all get mixed together after "baking".

The method I have been using to cook is a rice cooker, 1# unsalted land-o-lakes butter, and a 1#bbq container I keep the lightly baked bud in while it accumulates (between a pint and a qt in size). I simmer the mixture a few hours then strain it with a metal screen back into the same container, which is now about 1/2 full. The weight is less than the 1# I started with.The buttery plant material that was strained I put in a zip and give away. That stuff (we call it mash) is still very potent and can be used to make brownies, problem is you can smell the "fiber" when you take the next poop.

The tub of butter goes into the freezer. When it is time to do some baking - I make cookies from Betty Crocker snickerdoodle mix - put some of the frozen butter in a cup and warm at low setting in a microwave or whatever to get the 1/2 cup for the recipe. When the cup is poured into the cookie dough mix fine dark plant residue usually sticks to the bottom of the cup. Your choice to add it to the mix or not.

The cinnamon makes these really tasty. My tolerance is super high and my number is ONE cookie made from a 1" ball of dough. The buzz lasts about 3-4 hours. This is the BEST sleep aid I know of and I eat one before going to bed, and another every 3 hours when I wake to take a piss. Deep REM type sleep.

I think the 360* vape and cook temp boils off some of the "lighter" elements of the flower and the "heavy" elements remain. So I hit the bag and munch a cookie when I want full spectrum.

People's reactions are funny. One guy who thought he was badazz ended up bent over in the front porch chair for 3 hours... alive, awake, just too stoned to straighten up. Another guy ate half before going to bed, an hour later liked the effect and ate the other half. He was properly positioned (horizontal) and said it was the best buzz he ever had.

Cookies command respect, that's for sure.

I'll try the water method next batch. The pound of butter does cook down maybe 1/3, which is probably water or something. I have kept butter in the freezer several months and it is still good, but look at the box the butter comes in for an idea on storability, even in a freezer.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
re-melt

re-melt

So I made a new batch using water and it is a lot better method. Amazing how dirty the water gets. So I re-melted a couple chunks of cannabutter from the freezer in water and the same result - dirty water.

I still cannot locally source Lecithin, but when I get some I wonder if it would be OK to incorporate it in another re-melt from frozen? How much of it is needed?

Am I gonna kill myself heating and freezing, then repeat - with butter?

MedFaced

I dont understand the point of a re-melt. I run the liquid through a strainer and that's the end of it. There will be some sediment. Lecithin is unnecessary in general. It wont make anything stronger afterwards.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Well, still making butter from AVB and squeezins pucks (AVB+P?). This last batch was done this way:

1. Decarb the AVB in the oven at 250* for 30 mins. You can kiss those terps you smell as the bud roasts goodbye.

2. Make the butter over water like the OP. This last run I started with 1 lb butter+tad for 460 gr total. After running in the rice cooker and draining the water, I had 310 gr butter left. Where did the rest go? Never got over 210* due to the water. 33% loss by weight of butter.

Make cookies as per the recipe. I use Betty Crocker snickerdoodles which call for 1/2 cup butter. I get 30-35 cookies from a batch. These cook at 370*F, which may be under the THC boiling point although some delta 9 may be lost in the bake. Hopefully the decarb step I finally did this time makes these strong again. Data says it may.

MCSA - make cookies strong again!! Results - the oven decarb step helps. A lot! Way more goofy high as in the delta 9 increased.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My butter making technique has been refined as I go. 1 1/4 # unsalted butter, and a few cups of water, 75 gram of lightly used ABV in a little crock pot. Use as much water as can be fit in the pot after everything has melted and is boiling (cannot get over 212* because of the boiling). Stir every now and then. I start this in the morning, and by afternoon the "mash" shows it is done.

So here is the new process...I put the strainer screen down into the crock pot, and use a baster to draw the liquid from above the screen, and put that in a plastic bowl. When you can't draw any more liquid from above the screen, add water and boil a little longer, and again draw off the liquid above the screen. After a while there will be hardly any butter float to the top, so the extraction is near complete. I will pour off he remaining liquid into another bowl, and that too goes into the fridge. Discard the mash, leave the bowls of mixed fluid overnight in the fridge. In the morning, separate the butter from the nasty water, scrape and rinse off the nasty brown stuff on the bottom of the butter slab, seal in Saran wrap and toss in a container, then freeze. The little bit of butter that rises and solidifies on the leftover water, I will keep in the freezer, and add to the next batch of butter.

The change is no need to squeeze out the liquid from the mash with cheesecloth. This is a lot easier and less messy.

When I am ready to make a batch of cookies, I cut off 1/2 cup of the frozen butter, and in a coffee cup, heat at 250* in the oven for up to 30 mins (if there are no bubbles, there is no more need to decarb) to melt the butter, and then mix in the lechithin. Cool the dough in the fridge before making the cookies. This step is really important. Colder the better, even frozen as long as a doughball can be formed. Roll dough balls and put them in the freezer. This is for snickerdoodles.

Last edited:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
fly low..... only 1 cleaning??? i normally do 3, sometimes 4...

also if u shitcan the gob of weed without pressing, dont u lose some of the butter.... or does all the butter float to the top..

i normally don't use cheesecloth...instead i use a fine spaghetti strainer and press it thru ... but yes it is a pain in the arse...