What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pots of COCO under CMH

furrywall11

I'm doing girl scout cookies in two 4x8 trays each with 1 630 watt CMH on a light mover over it... the is just for the veg phase. each plant is getting between 18-24k lumens as the light passes over them. I have the light setup about 30" above the plants. 1 gallon pots of COCO. Things are looking kind of grim. I'm going to post some pics and more info tomorrow I'm hoping to get some pointers, yo

thanks, FW

furrywall11

An update:

So, I bought the Girl Scout Cookies (mendo cut) clones thinking I was getting a great deal because they were so big but.... I learned a lesson about clones that appear big. This guy had his trays of rock wool cubes packed VERY close together under a weak light... so, even though they were tall, they had bad node spacing and the leaves were paper thin.

I think my first mistake was putting them too close to the light (about 4'). I'm familiar with the concept of hardening off but, I thought 4' was going to be far enough under one 630 watt Sunlight Supply CMH over each 4x8 tray using a light mover.... my next mistake was overwatering them. They've since dried out and I've moved the lights up to 5'3" from the plants. I'm STILL concerned that the lights are too close...which seems crazy, right?! But, the leaves are still showing what I think appears to be bleaching.

Some specs: I have the plants in 1 gallon nursery pots in a coco blend (1/3 perlite). I'm using irrigation water (0 EC around 7.8ph to start). Watering about once every three days- just a touch, not to run off. Using Canna Coco A & B with Cannazyme and Rhizo. The nutrient blend is about 1.2 EC PH'd to 6.0. To correct the bad coloring I've been doing some foliar sprays with Photomag (15ml/gallon), Verde (5-10ml/gallon) and Silica (1.25ml/gallon). I did a couple soil drenches with some other products (Rejuvenate, Micropak) to try an fix things. The room temps are 72-79F and usually high humidity %75.

Looking for any pointers and or explanations. :) Thanks!

decent plant.jpg
Here's a decent looking plant from the batch

worst plant.jpg
Here's the worst looking plant - Most of the symptoms are shared by most of the plants to some degree. I'm starting to get some new healthy growth since correcting the first overwatering, doing the Verde (high N) Foliar and, moving the lights up to 5'4" - BUT, I think the lights might need to go even higher, what the heck??

overhead lights shot.jpg
Here's a picture of the first batch of plants with the lights at 5'4"

overhead.jpg
Close up of some of the first batch

new clones.jpg
After messing up the first batch, I went and got another batch of the sane strain....this time I started the lights very high and was on top of the watering. Still, here's a tip for free---be careful with buying clones just because they are very tall...they might be hella weak!

Easy7

Veteran
Lights look a but high. Raising a light is good after moving them under strong lights. Then lower a bit every day till the footprint covers just enough.

Those planters look good for sog. Theynstretched so much the sweet spot to flower sog plants is kinda missed. Suppose topping and filling out some more is another option.

furrywall11

Hey guys- thanks for the input. I checked the roots on a few of them- no bugs. I did an Actinovate dosing after I overwatered that one time to protect against root stuff. Eventually this room is going to have 20 315 CMH's and 5 vertical DE 1k's so I'm still counting on a lot of vegging and I'll be up planting to 2-3 gallon pots and then 4x8 coco beds.

I feel like the lights are too high, too... but, I'm pretty sure the plants under the 630's are bleaching. I have a light meter--- the plants under the 630's are mostly at 10k lumens at just over 5'. The plants under the 315's are at 7-8k lumens.

I did another grow a while ago and had the lights a lot lower- so one of my main questions is WHAT is going on with these plants now?

:rtfo::rtfo::rtfo::rtfo:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Hmm- any chance it's a weird batch of coco? Maybe sitting out for a while in some distributors parking lot over the winter?

What are your run off numbers?

eric2028

Veteran
I’d let them dry out. Then give them a good full strength feeding with plenty of runoff. Check your runoff. I don’t think it’s the light from over here. Good luck. Oh yea as others have said they need topping and training.

furrywall11

@bsgospel I actually had that thought in mind when I purchased the COCO --- this stuff was clean.

@eric2028 I hear ya, but after seeing them burn so easily even at 1/3 nutrient solution strength (5ml/gallon Canna COCO A&B with Rhizo and Cannazyme) I'm feeling that soaking them with that same nutrient solution and leaving them stewing in it for the three days or so that it'd take them to dry out would burn the crap out of them....

I'm still stuck in this weird place of not knowing wether they're getting enough nutrients or the CMH light is burning them....

help!

eric2028

Veteran
I had similar issues with some bad batches of tupar coco. I flushed it to help. Ultimately I switched to a pure coco(Mother Earth)and Havnt had the issues again.

TnTLabs

eric just said the word...
flush your medium at 1.4 EC 6.0 and youll be fine... the light is too intense and you are underfeeding!!
you need the lights about 40cm away at this stage.. then in flower you can lower

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Gotta to agree

Gotta to agree

Flush with ec 1.3-4 ph 6. I have also had very good luck with Mother Earth coco and would try it when you up pot. If it’s not available flush what you have before using it. I also like bio war teas and vam mykos powder on the roots when transplanting. I would continue a preventative spraying of flora mite, forbid, neem or some combination every 3 or 4 days for a couple weeks in case there are unnoticed pests.

furrywall11

I'm going to give the feeding a try... 1.3EC 6.0PH I think it's going to work... the lights are 630 watt CMH at 5' ----- is that really too intense ???

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Maybe

Maybe

Moving them under more intense light does stress them a little but they should recover quickly if all else is well. You said that you got them in rock wool cubes. What size cubes were they in and did you bury them in the coco?

furrywall11

They were 2x2 cubes and I did bury them in coco. I’m playing around w a few things... one thing I’ve learned for sure is that where these plants are now in their healthiness they are very light sensitive and like the 630 at 5’ and the 315 at 4.5’... I figured this out mapping the hit spots with my light meter and seeing that’s where the plants with the lighter colored leaves are concentrated.

Does anyone know how to make plants tougher when it comes to light?

I’m also starting to chalk a lot of my problems up to this particular strain of GSC... it seems to be extremely picky. My bag seed plants are killing it.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I bet

I bet

The Rockwool dries out much slower than the coco especially when buried. I would say that was the problem. Just set the cubes on top of the coco next time and they will recover from transplanting much quicker. By now I bet they are doing better. The light change is usually a couple day adjustment and they are reaching for the sky.

Latest posts

Latest posts