What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bangi Haze or Nepalese Jam at 45 North?

squatty

Hello ICMag. I've got packs of both Bangi Haze and Nepalese Jam that I am looking forward to growing some day in the future when I move back to Hawaii.

In the meantime I decided I would like to try growing one of these here in Portland, OR at 45 degrees North latitude. I'm hoping for some input on experience growing either of these at similar latitudes.

I've read threads on both strains and it seems I may be pushing my luck by hoping to harvest in early October.

By the middle of October we usually get quite a bit of rain.

Thanks for any help.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Nepjam as quicker bangi was better smoke in my opinion with what i saw... Both r bred for toughness but. Bangi has some weaker funny phenos, , if grow Nepjam if you r worried, that one is much more solid of a plant for ruff spots.... Say in all that a bangi plant was my fav plant last season... And my favorite I've got from ace

squatty

Thanks stoney917.

The Ace website shows that both strains will finish in early October but I've read others experience showing later harvests.

Dubi has noted that his Bangi Haze started to flower in first week of September at 37º-43ºN.

In the same thread I see that Esben had a few Bangi Haze begin flowering third week of September and he harvested at end of October at 55 N latitude.

The Hatter

Veteran
Portland stays relatively warm for how far north it is due to its proximity to the ocean. I think both of these strains should finish where you are, but if you are worried about it then I would use the Nep Jam first to test the waters. I have grown Nep Jam out twice and all of them are pretty quick finishers with some phenos being among the fastest plants I have grown.

I think your big issue will probably be fighting off the various molds that like cannabis since the humidity there is unholy.

G

green johny

Bangi outdoor at 49 mid november, so not really for northern outdoor but 45 should be good
How someone can harvest after 4-5 weeks.. yes easy but not for smoking :D

yoss33

Veteran
I think both strains should be fine at 45 degrees. At least they've been fine for me and another person at 44 degrees north.
I've tried only 2 Bangi hazes and 4 or so Nepal jams and the Bangi hazes had on average a better sativa effect. Only one of the nepal jams was really nice with a strong mellow effect.

How someone can harvest after 4-5 weeks.. yes easy but not for smoking :D

5 weeks from start of flowering (forming buds) to harvest is quite the usual duration for faster strains flowering outdoors in good weather. You might be surprised how good some weed is after only 4 weeks of packing flowers. Right in the peak of perfume smells, they are definitely smokable!
Of course, if there's no sun during these 4 weeks, the result will not be the same.

G

green johny

5 weeks from start of flowering (forming buds) to harvest is quite the usual duration for faster strains flowering outdoors in good weather. You might be surprised how good some weed is after only 4 weeks of packing flowers. Right in the peak of perfume smells, they are definitely smokable!
you have answer here too
Of course, if there's no sun during these 4 weeks, the result will not be the same.
Ive didnt wrote exactly, but guest the danish weather is quite cold at fall

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi squatty,

Thinking to move to the beautiful Hawaii islands ? So nice! ;)

Both Nepal Jam and Bangi Haze should work in your latitude unless your micro climate is especially cold. Nepal Jam likes to start to flower earlier so it will probably finish in early/mid October in your latitude.

Bangi Haze reacts to flower slower at such northern latitudes, please take in mind that the outdoor finishing times stated in the official descriptions at our website are always stated for latitude 37, where we breed and test our genetics. Bangi Haze will probably finish in late October there, but she has great mold resistance against cold and rain, so i think she will make it. Just try to plant them in a very sunny location.

Best wishes for 2018 outdoor season! :)

squatty

Thank you for the information Dubi. Yes, will be moving back to Hawaii but still have a few years left here in Oregon.

My problem late in the season here is mostly from rain and not so much the cold. By the middle of October we usually have very wet weather.

I will try my luck this year with one of your wonderful strains. Possibly Bangi Haze.

squatty

I decided to try Bangi Haze this year. I ended up with two males and a female. The female was not very big due to starting life in a three gallon pot. After showing sex she was moved to a 25 gallon pot. She began flowering Aug 21. By the middle of October we were getting rain and I moved her under a roof.

squatty

Because I had to go out of town in the middle of November I ended up harvesting at the end of November at thirteen weeks of flower.

squatty

Hello Claude, Yes the Bangi survived our cool and wet fall.

I moved it under a roof and out of the rain in the middle of October. It didn't get much direct sunlight in the last four weeks.

I was still a bit surprised how late it went.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi squatty,

Yep, i'm also surprised your bangi Haze went that late, but glad she managed to handle the rain of your fall. She looks very chunky and well developed :) and the macros show really nice trichome content and density. Hope you enjoy her effects!

Please, let us know your opinion after a bit of curing.
Best wishes for 2019! ;)

squatty

Thank you for your words Dubi and thank you for your hard work on Ace genetics.

I estimate somewhere around November 15 as the date I would have harvested my Bangi if I would have been in town.

The jars of curing flowers have such a wonderful smell. It is a slightly sweet and deeply floral smell. The longer I spend trying to identify the smells the more complex I find it.

I will have to sample some soon as I prepare to grow Nepal Jam this summer!

Thank you.

Latest posts

Latest posts