What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I've seen enough bad offensive line play where it seems like the lineman didnt care to block: ball is snapped, lineman backpedals and looks to his left, defender runs past him on the right without being touched. And Amari Cooper is dropping so many balls he should play for the bears.
So it might be natural to think that the players around carr are tanking, just based on how theyre performing.
And now Carr is out 2-6 weeks with a broken back. The raiders are 3 years away from moving to vegas, but this season isnt looking to be a super one for the raiders.

Supposedly the chargers game was the 6th most watched game on tv in the LA area.
Teams move more for stadium purposes than attendance reasons. Even if the chargers were filling qualcomm 90% to capacity, spanos would have wanted a new stadium - modern stadiums mean more luxury box revenue, personal seat license revenue, etc. So it has little to do with how many fans show up to home games, and everything to do with whether the taxpayers are willing to subsidize stadiums for billionaire owners.

Romo gives good analysis, he's insightful. His voice is a little scratchy but he's a football player, not a media personality. Since he's such a natural at covering games maybe this means he's definitely not coming back to the nfl?

Starting trubisky in a prime time national game against a good defense doesnt seem ideal, but he'll have a week and a half of working with the starters (coming off a thursday game before). Receiving core is still crappy, but he only needs to complement the run game in order to improve the offense. And he's young and mobile, and should get off more throws than glennon just based on avoiding the pass rush better.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
hit it on the head baba'
the new stadiums come with more amenities and its the PSL's and luxury boxes that bring in the big dollars
6th most watched game dosent sound very good and i wonder how many of the fans were watching the eagles
i would like to keep an eye on that metric and see how it changes depending on who the chargers are playing
/say when they play the raiders, they will prob be one of the top rated, we will know its the visiting teams fans watching the games
i think the fan following still matters adn while it wont effect the bottom line for spanos,(hes already doubled his money) i think he will always be known as the guy who sold out his city for a quick buck

tough loss for the raiders!
we saw what the looked like last year w/o carr
if their D can step up they might still compete but its starting to look like KC is going to walk away with the west

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The niner's new stadum, Levi's, is sold out for years because of PSL's even though during day games the side facing the sun is pretty much empty by halftime (100+ degrees without any shade in santa clara, it's like just give me skin cancer now because im slowly roasting out here). The psl's are mostly bought by ticket brokers who then try to gouge the avg fan on the reseller market.

I have to correct myself, the chargers-eagles game was 5th most watched out of 6 nfl games in the LA area, just beating out the miami-NO game, which started at 630am LA time.

That's another big reason why the chargers cant get any fans in LA, it's big time raider territory. It would be like moving the vikings or lions to IL and expecting them to convert many local fans; it would be stupid (or, shall we say, 'unrealistic') to think that would happen.

Chiefs are the last undefeated team in the league and seem like the real deal, solid in all phases of the game. Maybe they'll just fall apart in the playoffs again but i think theyre more talented this year than they have been in a while so maybe they can reach a superbowl this time. That would be nice for their fans, who have probably suffered more than vikings fans in the last 30 some years...

Im also happy i picked up alex smith as a qb in my fantasy league, he's been a top 5 qb to date. I think the mahomes drafting really lit a fire under him to make more plays with his arm, plus he and the team have acknowledged he'll probably be traded next year, if he starts balling out now maybe his new team will give him a big contract. Carr and stafford are making 25M a year, why not him if he can have a 4k yard, 30td season?

shithawk420

Veteran
i dont care what anyone says.theres no way trubisky can do worse than Glennon.hes the worst QB in the whole fucking league.i guess there calling him giraffe now.fucking giraffe statue.

Alex Smith is a good QB.so is that guy on the Bills.cant remember his name

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
you're thinking of tyrod taylor, hawk'
i thought he was going to be the next michael vick at one point, but there was a big gap between potential and performance
maybe this is the year it all clicks for him
unfortunately, i hvaent been following the bills too closely, so keep us updated if you can

" It would be like moving the vikings or lions to IL and expecting them to convert many local fans; it would be stupid (or, shall we say, 'unrealistic') to think that would happen. "
again baba', nail right on the head
last week we even saw rodger goodell at the chargers game
/im sure it was some executive move to "figure out" the problem of why they cant fill a 30k seat stadium
you cant just ignore fan loyalty and city rivalries
in many ways, the NFL has gotten so full of itself that it thinks its the one who can tell you who you can root for
fan bases take years to build
talking to friends at work today and you wont believe the bad rap football has right now
/not even going into the cam newton thing, but yeah that was brought up
most of the people in the conversation said they would not let their kids play and several said they were jsut turned off on the sport overall
ive always been a fan and i dont think that will ever change for me
but the times they are a'changing

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Werent Lott and Craig on the wrong side of 30 and struggled with injuries the prior year when the raiders signed both in Rule B free agency?
Urlacher wasnt even offered a modest contract in 2013 by the bears and chose to retire; even a 2 yr, 4M dollar offer would have kept him on the roster. Bears defense got much worse when he left.
The niners and packers went through awkward transitions from Montana and Favre to Young and Rodgers. The old blood giving way to the new blood is just how it is in sports, and life. Yesterday's treasure is today's garbage.

Is soccer starting to steal some of football's popularity? I'm seeing more coverage of european soccer leagues on espn, maybe all the young kids are playing soccer now instead of football...
If Elon Musk doesnt buy the chargers and move them back to san diego, maybe the chargers should rebrand. Something more LA or hollywood. Maybe the Bolts (their nickname)? The Regulators?

What do you think, hawk? 350 yds and 3TDs for trubisky tomorrow night? Too low?

shithawk420

Veteran
LOL!that would be nice Baba.damn.Greenbay came back.good game.espicially the end.too bad about Beckham.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
seeing odb go down was tough,hawk'

we are def seeing soccer grow in popularity
its been growing like crazy here in so cal
with our large mexican population, its always been popular (one of my best friends as a kid ended up going to school on a soccer scholarship, he now coaches one of the j.c's in the area)
but its def going more mainstream
i wonder how the big-3 (most popular) sports will stack up in the next ten years
right now i would say its:
1. baseball
2. football
3. basketball
(fill in the blanks for the order in your area)
soccer is right behind b-ball and prob more popular than tennis, lacross
who knows how football will stack up in the next decade

rams looked good even tho they lost
deshaun watson might just be the new gun in town
and look at those chiefs go!
what a great weeeknd of football

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
that's how I felt when the 49 ers let go of Ronnie Lott and Roger Craig. Just thought they should treat them better.

yeah, football is notorious for using guys up and then letting them go once they are past their prime
the same could be said for san diego great, ladainian tomlinson
even if he wasnt going to put up the numbershe once did, a relatively paltry sum (as far as football money goes) could have kept him in san diego
instead he was forced out of san diego and played his last years as a jet

shithawk420

Veteran
Damn.what a good game.i think Trubisky is great except for that interception at the end.what a let down.i still think he played great.hows about that throw from the kicker!lots of great plays today.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Back in the day i used to think soccer was boring as $hit; low scoring games, little action, just a bunch of dudes passing the ball back and forth, running after it, on a ginormous field, and half the time there's a shot on goal it's like 20 feet wide of the net.
Ive watched some world cup games since then and ive grown to appreciate it a little more, but mostly i like the fact that there are hardly any breaks in the action (the clock rarely stops) so a 90 minute game can be finished in under 2 hrs.

There's been a lot of news about football ratings being down but i think baseball and hockey ratings have been down this season as well (compared to last year). Maybe people are on their smartphones too much to actually watch sports anymore...

The rams offense didnt look good but the Hawks showed they still have an elite D, especially against divisional opponents. Goff would have had a game winning td if cooper had held onto that pass in the end zone. Next week they face the Jags, who made Roethlisberger consider retirement last game, so we'll see if they can get back on track.

Chargers got a win against the giants, who are 0-5 and look in line for a top 5 draft pick next year. Eli still hasnt been the chargers in his career; do you feel happy that Eli didnt end up on the bolts, Pop?
JJ Watt and OBJ are the latest stars to be out for the year. Every week youre just holding your breath, hoping it's not someone on your team that's next...

I totally forgot LT being on the Jets at the end. The bears last two good RBs (thomas jones and matt forte) also ended up on the jets when they still had some juice left - ended up having some good years for gang green.

Trubisky had a fumble and an int, both of which led to vikings scores (td and a game winning field goal). His one TD pass was also deflected and was lucky to be caught for a score. Still, he had more accurate throws than bad ones, even that int at the end, harrison smith made a nice play to accelerate and undercut miller for the pick. Certainly, he was much more mobile than the giraffe, glennon, and the bears made good use of that on rollouts and sprintouts. He didnt have an A game, but as a rookie making his first career start against a good defense and w/o many offensive weapons, it went about as well as could be reasonably expected. As he continues to practice with the first team and build rapport with his receivers, he should improve. Most of all, i hope he keeps the turnovers in check.

shithawk420

Veteran
I agree with everything you said.when his dad was coaching him as a kid he was a running back so that's why he's fast.but yeah there's room for improvement but I think he did good under the circumstances.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
the offence looked poor but i think they got off on the wrong foot against one of the top D's in the league
i guess it would be easy to say if only a few play went their way
/the gurley fumble was a great lesson to young running backs to hold the ball close
but this is the nfl and plays like that are what win/loose games
its funny you mention eli, baba'
a lot of fans hated him for not wanting to play in san diego
both seem to have played forever and had good careers
but put the shoe on the other foot and it would be rivers witha ring or two and eli ... well who knows
/thinks eli is a product of the system he played in
was never really a rivers fan so i guess im kind of indifferent as far as eli goes (plus, no matter what he does he will always be playing in the shadow of his older brother)
that is a good point that viewership may be down for all the major sports
i grew up wiht football and will always be a fan

Space Toker

Veteran
oh geez this last Pats game is another I had to tape and watch later as it rattled my nerves bigtime while watching it. Tom Brady is great but looks a lot better with and sometimes awful without Edelman or Gronk are not there, but usually comes through. Off line also off... The defense has been mostly horrible, until this last game where they looked great for most of the game then partially fell apart again. If the rest of the season goes like this, I may not make it! :D
Go Patriots!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
i hear you space toker, what a crazy game
they came within one play of losing to the bucs', but lets remember, this kid winston could be for real
i look at it like the rest of the league has taken a step up as far as play goes, right when the pats have been hit by a lot of setbacks
( i would be surprised if they dont make the playoffs)

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Supposedly trubisky's 40 time at the nfl combine was just .01 second slower than deshaun watson's; not that he can break off 50yd runs like watson but he was fast enough to escape pressure when he needed to.
Bears look like it'll be another 3-4 win season this year, but at least games will be more interesting to watch now, to see how trubs develops (or falls flat on his face).

Maybe archie was right to tell eli to avoid san diego because of their management; who fires a coach after a 14-2 season (2006 or 7)? I mean, I know they didnt do well in the playoffs (think they lost in the 1st rd) but still, you had success that year. The bears fired lovie smith after a 10 win season (didnt make playoffs) and it's been downhill since...
Rams are in a stretch of games where theyre facing some top defenses, so we'll see if the offense can still perform. I think they went away from gurley against seattle last week, maybe there was a reason for that other than the early fumble, but he's their best skill player on offense so if theyre going to get back on track they need to feed him.

Jameis looks inconsistent this year, he stepped it up in that 4th quarter against the pats but before then a lot of his throws looked off.
The pats' left tackle, nate solder, must not be healthy because he was lunging on blocks against the bucs; brady has already taken more sacks this year than all of last year. And brady has a sprained non throwing shoulder as well. Not sure if he can withstand 11 more games of being pounded like that. But at least stephen gilmore played well, but now malcolm butler looks average at best. It would be funny if they didnt win the division this year, being superbowl champs, with the bills and jets being in (supposedly) rebuild mode and the Fins having to start cutler...

EDIT: I also wanted to ask, Spacetoker, what you think of Gillislee and Brandin. From the bucs game, it seems like Gilly isnt distinguishing himself from james white and dion lewis; lewis and white are great pass catchers and are capable runners as well (think lewis ripped off a 30yd run vs the bucs). And cooks looks like brady's #3 target, behind hogan and amendola. #4 when gronk comes back. This being cooks's first year with the team, i think brady just has more trust and feel for the other receivers, who he's been working with longer...
Thinking of dropping both in fantasy football, they'll probably have good or great games in the future, but for every really good game it'll be 3, 4, 5 average or worse games, stat-wise...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
that was in 2006' under marty shotenheimer, baba
a great coach and a great season for the chargers
/ some would say its was nate " the shank" kaeding who lost that one for us
archie was right!
what it was was that the GM AJ Smith dident like marty schotneheimer
marty wanted his son to join the team as an OC but smith was having non of that
the spanoss' had their head so far up AJ smiths behind that they let him call the shots and let go a coach that just took you to one of the best seasons in team history
instead of putting your foot down and tell one guy to stay in the front office and the other guy to tcb on the field, they let egos dictate team policy
i firmly believe that norv turners early success was because he was basically playing martys team
40 times are more about straight line speed
i think a better measure of qb mobility would be the three cone drill (where trubs had one of the top times and beat out deshaun watson )
the rams play jax next
im not ready to buy into their success just quite yet, but it will be a good game
/after that they play arizona ,NYG and texans
speaking of jacksonville
whats the deal with them?
its been a crazy season so far!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Speaking of chargers kickers, theyre back to nick novak, who they released for josh lambo, who they released for younghoe koo. It's like the circle of life with the chargers, only more depressing and comical.

I forgot about the other shuttle drills they do during the combine. Yeah, trubisky looks quick on his feet. He played in a shotgun spread offense at UNC like every college qb, but he only rushed for like 300 yds during his one year of starting. I think Watson had a 1000 yard rushing season at clemson, so you knew he would run some in the nfl.

The jaguars coach said ideally he didnt want bortles attempting any passes, and last week i think bortles attempted 1 or 0 passes in the 2nd half. Roethlisberger completed more passes to jaguars players than bortles did that 2nd half.

I dont think the rams will finish the season with the top scoring offense, but they should be comfortably in the top half, with an average in the 20's. And even if the rams dont make the playoffs this season, i dont think they'll finish worse than 8-8. Which isnt bad, when you consider goff still has barely started a season's worth of games (started like game 8 or 9 last year, we're in week 6 this year). He'll be better next year, maybe the passing game will actually incorporate sammy watkins, if the defense becomes elite, i could see them winning 12 or more games next year.
Then fans might actually fill the coliseum for their games...

shithawk420

Veteran
Aaron Rogers is done.can't say I'm sorry to hear it.doesn't really matter I guess.Bears aren't gonna do shit.I like Trubisky though
Cutler is such an asshole.is Matt Ryan losing it?