What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Galaxy - Landrace discussion

funkyhorse

Master Water-
I'm afraid this is not about semantics. Call it patenting, call it copyrighting, call it protected designation of origin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogr...raditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union), we are getting into the territory of biopiracy, bioimperialism, biocolonialism, biobullshit, call this territory with the semantics of your liking

This paper is very good. It explains the conflict of laws and conflict of interests between Usa and Usa allies which will unavoidably be part of the cannabis world in the coming years without bursting out in emotions and by the way, Phylos is an active party in this conflict, like it or not:
https://scholar.smu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1418&context=lbra

This conflict of laws and interests it is no exclusivity of the cannabis world. This conflict is spreading fast and will probably end as usual in another war for resources, probably drinking water: https://www.smh.com.au/world/south-...rm-for-biopiracy-of-a-ai-20180613-p4zl7m.html

A previous post is showing a patent on a ecuador Celestial Temple Sativa hybrid
What can Ecuador do about this?
Maybe go to International Court of The Hague to seek justice? If Ecuador dares to complain, the result will be a big speculum up Ecuador's ass to make the assgap wider in order to get a bigger dick:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45455984

I mean, with this same thinking, you could get sperm from a Ecuadorian male and inject it in the **** of an afghan girl. The newborn will be considered according to usa logics and laws your invention and you could patent this kid, right?
I mean Ecuador is a Usa colony, their currency is Usa dollar, they even lost their own currency...and its land and occupants are Usa belongings, right?
Same with Afghanistan, it is usa battlefield for wargames.
So in Usa you can patent, rip and violate freely any resource coming from these biocolonies countries or allies like Thailand or Brazil, cant you? Because this is what we see in reality

I was surprised in this last batch of posts to see this thread is followed by industry leaders and by people who are making a living out of the cannabis industry
What I saw in this last batch was the biggest asset this industry has: passion shared by all parties involved in this business: industry leaders, growers, hobbyists and end users. I only saw this amount of passion in sports. You should build on this passion which is shared by so many people like in no other industry.
Please use passion for improving the existing cannabis quality which is going downhill since last century. Too much hybrids on display and landraces getting lost and not available
Passion is good for sports. When passion and emotions rule over reason, you can only expect the bullshit to rule the world
This is a world where you can patent a simple hybrid as a new invention, we are living in a world of bullshit.
A world where an hybrid can be patented, copyrighted or trademarked is a failed/fallen world condemned to self annihilation

clearheaded

imagine having a tool that could help boost hybrid vigor and potentially kickstart some awesome true F1 beans with less work...

also i think its going to be awesome if people want to patent truly special chemovars then do the science to figure out metabolism it uses and genes needed for that...

or a tool to find out if ur dosidos is legit...or insight to why a var is so awesome..or bad.

glad chimera takes the time to clear things up every once and a while....

only bad thing is when its feild grown and monsanto comes and says no u have to buy our seed...or wait gov already does that for hemp in a way. cant plant there own seed as has to be certified thc free var. thank goodness drug var are diacious :)

beta

Veteran
only bad thing is when its feild grown and monsanto comes and says no u have to buy our seed...or wait gov already does that for hemp in a way. cant plant there own seed as has to be certified thc free var. thank goodness drug var are diacious :)

Literally nobody MAKES anyone buy ANYONE's seed. Anyone who uses Monsanto seeds uses them BY CHOICE. Period, full stop. Monsanto has no mechanism to force people to buy their products, unless you think that making a better product 'forces' people to use it.

Same goes for THC free hemp. You absolutely CAN use your own seed if it's THC free. If you don't have THC free varieties, that's a personal problem - NOT the govt forcing you to buy their seeds or whatever conspiracy you've cooked up.

zif

Veteran
Agree with your broad point beta, but they have litigated to stop folks from saving seed from crops pollinated by adjacent GMOs.

It seems obvious enough that if you breed a patented crop that promiscuously delivers your special gene to any willing ovule, you'd have a weak claim on the seeds that result. At least the first couple of courts, though, disagreed. I haven't seen much more for many years - hopefully at some point common sense reared it's ugly head and shut the whole contaminate-the-genome-to-own-it project down. Not holding my breath, though.

Anyone more up to date?

Literally nobody MAKES anyone buy ANYONE's seed. Anyone who uses Monsanto seeds uses them BY CHOICE. Period, full stop. Monsanto has no mechanism to force people to buy their products, unless you think that making a better product 'forces' people to use it.

Same goes for THC free hemp. You absolutely CAN use your own seed if it's THC free. If you don't have THC free varieties, that's a personal problem - NOT the govt forcing you to buy their seeds or whatever conspiracy you've cooked up.

ahortator

Veteran
About patents and Monsanto. This is what can happen if your crop is polinated with GMO or patented strain pollen:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/feb/12/monsanto-sues-farmers-seed-patents

But anyway. Do you really weren't aware Phylos could use the seeds you have sent to them for breeding? At least those ones which was able to germinate or to be resurrected by tissue culture in vitro.

I think they cannot patent landraces. But if they can make hybrids with those seeds I really don't care. Most of us have been growing in danger of being busted and put into prison for many years, so if Phylos can make hybrids with seed samples and patent them, it is something which is not going to change my life or my way of growing. I am not going to stablish my own seed company or any marijuana farm.

Nobody breeds actual 100% NLD's nowadays. It seems their days have gone. Among such Kush BLD trend even in far away tropical countries it seems the real NLD's demise is near. If something so common in bygone days as Mexican NLD's are almost impossible to find now you can be sure all strains will be replaced by such modern stupefying, couchlocking sluggish boring strains under fancy names and companies hype.

Badfishy1

I know somebody that is investing a million dollars into this company... I bet he'd want a refund if he read this thread ...

You think? I doubt it... once they start selling their clones his millions will multiply. Rarely hear of investors pulling money over ‘moral’ issues... but as many have said before, send your cuts it’s all legit... no lube required

Badfishy1

Why not? Not interested in such things or have your own DNA database already?

You should at least submit your Sweet Skunk somewhere to see if it's really a skunk or NL5/haze varietal.

And what's your opinion of phylos DNA testing and the 3d galaxy? Anything interesting you've found on there you can share with us lay folk?

Peace,

N7

Probably for the same fear a lot of breeders had that recently came to fruition. But everybody needs to praise them for their ‘breakthrough’ scam I mean technology

Lyfespan

just officially announced on IG their taking any submitted genetics as theirs and beginning work. hope these fuckeers get what they deserve

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Nowhere does it say anything about Phylos using the genetics submitted to them. Who would send living plants anyway?

Brother Nature

I was just linking to the most relevant information I could find, instagram doens't strike me as a reliable source of information. Especially without any sort of citation or reference by those making claims.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When reading their web page, it seems like they are making deals with those who happen to hold unique cultivars, which would have been discovered during their development of the galaxy.

It says they are not using submitted samples as the basis for the plant stock, but are utilizing aggregated data gleamed from those submissions.

If you have some thing very unique, I imagine, they are making deals with you. They know the building blocks, they can use MAS to re-create some very interesting plants.

It was inevitable. Too much money to be made for them not to do this. I just hope they sell cuts of what they create to the general public.

dank.Frank

weedtoker

Veteran
Meanwhile, some people are still waiting to know their samples results since more than a year has passed :laughing:

cheers

Limeygreen

Veteran
I have a feeling they have been wanting the unique and known cultvars in public domain and then they can breed and release their own stock that is able to be trade marked as it can be shown to be unique and not currently available commercially.

That is my guess but I cannot speak to what they are actually doing, i'm just curious what can they really do if they only have dna?

Latest posts

Latest posts