What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Re-using Old Soil?

Hello! I was wondering if it's possible to use my old soil from my grow to create my own soil if I add some basic stuff like DLime, bone meal, bat guano etc? Was wondering if anyone has tried this or if it's a stupid idea! Thanks for any help guys!

Granger2

Veteran
Check the threads and stickies in the Organic Soil forum. You can and it works great if done properly. Good luck. -granger

B

Baked Alaskan

I re-used my promix. Mainly added homemade compost. Had great results.

very nice! yeah looks like I'm basically going to add some dolomite lime and maybe some perlite with my food waste and let it sit for a little bit

TerpeneDream

I would add some Down to Earth dry amends and let it sit for a month, or at least a couple of weeks. PH and go…

I've seed good results with thousands of hemp plants Green House using:

Veg:
-Promix w/ Myco (some recycled)
-Down to Earth Bio-Live
-Down To Earth Blood Meal

and Bat Guano added to that for flower transplants. Feeding later.

BlazinAzn

You could amend it with super soil mix you can buy off ebay with all the goodies weighed out ready to mix in such as blood meal, bone meal, etc. Worm castings do a great job at adding organic matter to your soil while also help add more life in your soil. Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis is a great read to help better understand the microbiology of your soil. If you decide to get worm castings I'd recommend Rocky Mountain Worm Co. In Colorado Springs. Literaly the best bag of crap I've ever bought.

You could amend it with super soil mix you can buy off ebay with all the goodies weighed out ready to mix in such as blood meal, bone meal, etc. Worm castings do a great job at adding organic matter to your soil while also help add more life in your soil. Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis is a great read to help better understand the microbiology of your soil. If you decide to get worm castings I'd recommend Rocky Mountain Worm Co. In Colorado Springs. Literaly the best bag of crap I've ever bought.
Oh wow that's awesome I had no idea I will definitely do this! gotta scrape together some money and try it out on my next grow!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have always recycled my soil ..adding compost and wormcastings along with other things...I once had over 10 year old soil .....yeehaw...soil lab testing is cheap ,,,I bring a shot glass to my local nursery and they give me the results a few weeks later....worth every penny.....city farmers nursery...logan labs aint bad either

olekingkole

I just chop up the old soil and mix it 50/50 with new soil. Takes almost no time and keeps the microherd going. The plants like it better than new soil.

This is all great info guys thanks for the heads up! after my first grow I will reuse that soil and cut it with some new soil and see how that works for me! I will probably just keep reusing and ultimately go no till! I might even get into worm farming...