What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Ultimate Doob Toob

Satan

The doob toob--an absolute necessity for dorm dwellers. I'm sure you all know about the classic paper towel tube stuffed with dryer sheets, used to blow your smoke through to cover up the smell. All of my friends who lived in my building had one, and some were more effective than others.

At first, i was too afraid to smoke in my room, and thought it was safer to go outside. After a few close calls, i constructed a doob toob out of a gatorade bottle, a box of dryer sheets, and some activated charcoal i bought from wal-mart, (the charcoal didnt do shit, i think it was cheap crappy stuff) and my room became my primary smoking spot. It seemed to work okay for the smell, but after smoking for a while, the room got hazey with Downy-Fresh smoke and i had to stop.

Then i had a revelation--GAS MASK FILTERS!! A gas mask filter is the ultimate smoke eliminator! Theyre cheap, yet extremely effective.

This is an Italian Military NBC filter I found for just 8 bucks! They can be found here: http://www.imsplus.com/ims29.html , or at your local army surplus store.

And now a couple of suggestions.
First, i reccommend stuffing some cotton in the top to use as a pre-filter. My toob seized up after about 2 months of heavy usage, because the top got all gooped up with resin.
Secondly, don't assume that the filter alone will be enough. No matter how hard you try, some smoke always escapes (coughing, failure to extinguish bowl, etc) so take extra precautions to cover up the smell. I've discovered that microwave popcorn is one of the best coverup smells, as it permeates the entire hallway.
And of course, you MUST cap your bowl effectively. I use my thumb. Yeah, it hurts to cap a hot bowl for the first few days, but eventually you will develop a resin-stained callus that allows you to cap bowls with ease. It's also a telltale sign to look for, if you're looking for some smokin buddies!

Anyone with extra suggestions for us dorm residents, feel free to chime in!

Laxpunker

I don't know what hellish dorm wouldn't have windows...dorms are just slightly bigger prison cells from what I remember.

Even with a fan blowing out your window the smell will linger in the room, and smoking ANYTHING in *most of the dorms (that ive been to) is not allowed. Smoking tobacco even is usually done outside..

Good idea Satan ;) I do have a paper towel version around here somewhere, but gas mask filters make sense.

G

Wish I wouldve had one of those in college. I went with the fan blowing out the window and got busted.
Bottom line is smoking in a dorm room is not the way to go. :crazy:

btb103

I can attest to the effectiveness of this method, having used it this past year in my own dorm room successfully for many months. Vigilance must be maintained each time one smokes, however, and this is where human (stoner?) error comes into play - unless you have nazi neighbors or wretched RA's that come a sniffin.

I fell victim to getting too comfortable with my smoking safety in the dorms and in the last few weeks (after we got a new RA, doh, the old one wouldn't have cared) and burned away with no fan and without my paper towel tube in a bottle (doob toob, spoof, whateveryawant). Coming down to check on a routine thing, my RA smelled it, hid her knowledge of our activities and 20 minutes later campus security was there. Automatically, they called the police who arrived on the scene shortly thereafter. Needless to say, it was a nightmare, something I'm not likely to allow happen again. The cops thought it was a waste of their time, I only had a couple of grams and they had more important things to do. They took me down to the station, I spent the night in lock-up (with, literally, all crackheads and crack dealers) then went home in the morning. Went to court last month and they dismissed the case in 5 minutes, and the whole thing is over now. Lessson learned!

So, toke away my dorm-residing brothers and sisters, but forget not the holiest of holy rules -- DON'T GET CAUGHT!

:smoweed:

G

Good idea with the gas mask thing. You could also get a vape they don't smell nearly as much.

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Anyone tried these?

http://www.helloneighbor.com

I find some of them work better than others. You also have to cap your bowl really quickly so as not to let smoke escape...and you still need to spray something. don't burn incense, it's a dead giveaway...

mrjim5000

What's the deal with these smoking tubes? I've never had to use one.... Do you have to exhale all of your tokes into it, and hold the joint\bong in it when you aren't smoking it??

Satan

Joints would be a definate no-no. I smoke bowls and extinguish the bowl while sealing the stem of the pipe with my lips, and making sure all the smoke left in the pipe is trapped inside. After the bowl is extinguished, i suck the leftover smoke out while still holding my breath, then i blow my hit through the filter. I also spray stuff and brew coffee or make popcorn to make sure no smell escapes.

One thing i also did was hold a lighter to the bottom of the door to see if the air was blowing into or out of the room. If its blowing in, ther is positive air pressure in the hallway, and any lingering smoke goes out the windows. If air is being sucked out of the room, there is negative air pressure in the hallway, so i close the windows and take extra measures to make sure the smell is taken care of. I try to take every measure to avoid being caught, and it has worked so far. The fact that so many of my friends were completely careless compared to me gave me a feeling of security.

Yet another thing i did was smoke under my blankets after air freshening the room, then light incense for like 3 seconds underneath them. It works pretty well.

Overall, though, i would suggest smoking somewhere else, like a friends house/apartment, where smell alone wont get you caught by some pesky RA.

C

Chamba

I smoke bowls and extinguish the bowl while sealing the stem of the pipe with my lips,

lol.....you have to be kidding me!

99% of smokers hit a pipe or jay like first timers.....

Learn how to smoke a pipe or jay to reduce wastage, smoke a cooler smoke and have control,

It's an easy technique to master. (At first, place enough in the bowl for one hit) then inhale strongly until about less than 3/4 has been burnt/inhaled, then gradually inhale with weaker and weaker force until the bowl is almost finished, by this time you should be inhaling so lightly that the bowl has almost gone out, ideally, this happens as the bowl is "cashed".

You can do the same as above when the bowl is packed for 3 or 4 big hits, do the same as above but burn from one edge, not the middle to ensure a better taste for last hit. The same applies to a joint too, don't hit it hard with three hard and fast inhales then pass it billowing smoke or you will waste lots of it and pass a hot jay, Instead hit the jay with the same method as above (a bit like a bell curve) gradually easing off for at least several seconds until you are just sipping lightly, inhaling down to no inhale so the loss is minimized and you get maximum absorption...that's how experts smoke....the others coughing, spluttering, wasting THC etc are amateurs

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts