What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crap, random property owner visit coming

Easy7

Veteran
I Rent from family and they're here all the damn time. Updating the house is a long and slow process. I don't think I could so much as hide a 250watt.

Just be careful of residue smells.

madalasatori

Veteran
I wish I had your problems! I’d be looking at five years inside and a seizure order if my landlord does an unannounced inspection... hope that offers a bit of perspective

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
This was an announced visit, it's just weird that it's the owner and not the property manager. Guy should be here any time now

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Only read the first post, but you are stressing for no reason man. If they suspected something they would not give that long of notice if one at all. More than normal for people to want to see parts of their own property they haven't for a long time especially if told about leaks that were never tended to.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh for Pete's sake, that was dumb. They wanted to get back into their SHED at the back of the property again, not the shop.

Big sigh of relief here. Starting setting everything back up today. I don't know whether to laugh or cry, haha

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Well glad to hear it was so easy. Should've made a crack about a garden just to get a reaction for future consideration.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh for Pete's sake, that was dumb. They wanted to get back into their SHED at the back of the property again, not the shop.

Big sigh of relief here. Starting setting everything back up today. I don't know whether to laugh or cry, haha

Hey man that is how it goes. You really have to fight the paranoia sometimes. I once completely tore down and trashed quite a large grow because I went out back and noticed my dog barking and low and behold cops with tactical vest were running a dog up and down the railroad tracks directly behind my house...Like within 5 feet of where I had trashed plants 2+ years ago like an idiot instead of taking it to the dump or what not.

They were fucking looking for someone else. Completely flipped the fuck out for 0 reason and did the worse thing ever because when you start chopping the smell is a million times worse...Big lesson for me and I am someone that tends not give a shit even when being shot at I'll /shrug. Hell, I had even had my brother go to a lawyer friend at the time and ask what the hell I should do. LOL. That was also stupid...luckily down the road it turned out he was not a rat and at the time was more than willing to help me as a friend and calm me down.

:laughing: I know the laugh cry feeling very well. I cried that day because someone I loved was involved and I was terrified of losing them. By the end of the day I was laughing and crying at the same time with my brother. :ying:

madalasatori

Veteran
I had a similar kind of scare once 40amps, and I ended up just going to sleep on the floor right there. Must’ve been some sort of stress reaction haha.

St. Phatty

For people that rent, those kinds of visits are a great time to plant info that will help explain your energy consumption - in case that ever comes to the landlord's attention.

Little decorating touches like a Welding Rig (the one pro welder I know uses a MiG welder most of the time.) And a Pottery Kiln.

Or a Bitcoin mining set up. This could just be a bunch of old computers in a rack.

It's good to have those props but you also need a 'story' to go with it, in case your landlord asks about it. If I was a landlord and saw a welding rig, I might ask if it ever flipped the breaker.

An answer like, "Oh yeah that happened once, I found that I need to turn the welder down to the "5" setting so I can't weld anything thicker than 5/64 inch", will help send them back to sleep so your energy consumption is not perceived - in any way - as 'evil', if it comes to the attention of Mr. or Mrs. Landlord.

mowood3479

Veteran
Oh man that’d drive me nuts; shop or shed... big difference.. but u can’t act mad or itd seem strange..

I hate breaking down for anything... that’s why I stopped growing in rentals...( too much stress for me personally). N I can’t stand breaking down because the oil company wants to do yearly maintenance on the furnace (aka change the oil n air filter n maybe the jets)... something I can do in 10 minutes but instead I gotta the break down n set back up which takes a full 40 hours...

The last rental I had was my buddies house... he said the house insurance company needed to do an inspection.. I said not if you want me to keep paying double rent.. cause I’m not breaking it all down in full flower (he decided to forgo insurance on the place) but that only worked cause he knew what I was up to...

Anyhow. Glad it worked out ok for you.

Last edited:
good it worked out but...
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] including a couple where they told me they suspected me and they found nothing."
would make me worry?

except for a mining setup pretty much anything besides a salt water tank wouldnt explain that amount (and timing) of energy use
[/FONT]

Green Squall

Oh man that’d drive me nuts; shop or shed... big difference.. but u can’t act mad or itd seem strange..

I hate breaking down for anything... that’s why I stopped growing in rentals...( too much stress for me personally). N I can’t stand breaking down because the oil company wants to do yearly maintenance on the furnace (aka change the oil n air filter n maybe the jets)... something I can do in 10 minutes but instead I gotta the break down n set back up which takes a full 40 hours...

The last rental I had was my buddies house... he said the house insurance company needed to do an inspection.. I said not if you want me to keep paying double rent.. cause I’m not breaking it all down in full flower (he decided to forgo insurance on the place) but that only worked cause he knew what I was up to...

Anyhow. Glad it worked out ok for you.

Is cleaning an oil furnace yearly necessary? I have a family member who hasn't done it in years and I'm concerned. The furnace is from the early 90's.

mowood3479

Veteran
Is cleaning an oil furnace yearly necessary? I have a family member who hasn't done it in years and I'm concerned. The furnace is from the early 90's.

Not really, the only things that get serviced are the air filter, the oil filter, and the jets (the little nozzles the oil squeezes thru as it’s being squirted into the combustion chamber). An oil company would say every year.. I’d say at least every 3-4years it should be done.
More of a chance that the furnace fails than it starts a fire...
Eventually Either one of the filters or the jets gunk up and impede flow of fuel or air.. n then the furnace stops working.

Last edited:

mowood3479

Veteran
There are good video tutorials on YouTube if you want to learn how to do the service work yourself.
Being a grower I’ve had to learn hvac n basic electrical work just cause I work in crappy old houses and there is always something failing

St. Phatty

Just offer them some buttered popcorn

with a tiny amount of Canna-butter mixed in with the regular butter.

Only problem with that is, the property owner might start visiting more often :woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts