What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soma's NYC Diesel

R

recent guest

Not a lot on icmag about NYC Diesel by Soma, and what there is is more or less negative, which flabbergasts me. This is one of my top five for sure. Amazing looking plant from day one, she has a broad afghan leaf that I find beautiful even though I prefer the stiletto sativa expression. The colors on her have been great all the way through, bright vibrant green in veg and now astounding darkness - purples, navy blues, crimson, and even black.

30-40 Days into flower:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The smell is LITERALLY like diesel fuel. Thick, musty, and dank. I use the word 'dank' a lot to describe ganja scent but this is the only plant I grow that actually fits that description. Someone who has never smelled weed before would describe this as dank simply because thats the correct term. I drive a diesel and filling it up at the pump reminds me of this plant. Some people are into that smell, some arent, you know who you are. She is my favorite hybrid right now because she has a balanced effect and works anytime of day, but even as an experienced tokist, finishing a joint will have me bombed out.

R

recent guest

Here she is at day 88. Harvest looks to be about 2 weeks away. Pretty long flowering period for a plant with such a high percentage of afghan heritage. Worth it!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

R

recent guest

This little spider has been with her since I first noticed it about a week into flowering. It used to pretend that it was part of the flower, hiding amongst the calyxes, positioning its legs to make them look like pistils. Too bad for it, the pistils turned orange!

picture.php

Here is a cured bud ready to go:

picture.php

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very nice. good indica pheno of nyc. would you describe smell as tangerine fruit or petrol, diesel fuel smell?
good pics.dr.p

R

recent guest

very nice. good indica pheno of nyc. would you describe smell as tangerine fruit or petrol, diesel fuel smell?
good pics.dr.p

The one pictured is full on fuel smell. I think its been said somewhere but you seriously can't touch this plant AT ALL if you want to smell anything else in your garden. Simply poking one of the buds with an index finger will leave that finger sticky and stinky.

On the more citrus side, my second Diesel is quite strong smelling as well. It is not pictured here though. It is definitely the grapefruit pheno, and smells as you say. I have been offered a good price for the cutting from a friend who is a dispensary/commercial greenhouse owner, but had to turn him down because I did not keep her. The fuel smell is my thing, because it is almost totally unique. The citrus pheno smells like a lot of other stuff out there. Citrus pheno also purpled but had a lower yield and is hardly sticky in comparison.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Wow, very hansom plants you have there.

It's interesting you note the mostly negative on the nycd.
It's a cultivar worth exploring, among the best I've had.

I now have a nycd x sensi star male that I cross with, and it
sometimes adds a spectacular sweet cherry scent to the
F1's.

Sometimes the diesel funk comes out, depends on the mum
I guess.

Great thread, looking forward to seeing more your nycd grows.

R

recent guest

Wow, very hansom plants you have there.

It's interesting you note the mostly negative on the nycd.
It's a cultivar worth exploring, among the best I've had.

I now have a nycd x sensi star male that I cross with, and it
sometimes adds a spectacular sweet cherry scent to the
F1's.

Sometimes the diesel funk comes out, depends on the mum
I guess.

Great thread, looking forward to seeing more your nycd grows.

Thanks! I tried to reverse her using colloidal silver to make S1 seeds but no luck. So I have a cutting of her, and im thinking of crossing to a couple of different strains. Oldtimer's Haze x NYCD, (C99 x Chocolope) x NYCD, etc.

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool. I like both phenos. I love the sweet one because in my area is rare. but a fuel nycd knocks me down easily. keep it up :)
good job
dr.p

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Doctor P, how was that NYCD x Agent Orange?

They're doing great thx!
I'm more on the tangerine side and my nycd chosen mother is my grapefruit grail sought in years. the cross with ao makes it even swweter and wicked in the orange citrous department.
there are slight differencies in phenos but they're all killer.
enjoy your harvest:):
dr.p

R

recent guest

Thanks everybody. She is taking a little longer than I expected to finish. February 1st will be more than 100 days.

R

recent guest

It looks like she will need some more time. I will probably leave her until ~ Feb. 4th.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Here is the grapefruit pheno - not so much yield, but a smaller pot...I would say overall a lower yielder with about a 2 week earlier finish, more sativa leaf, less purpling in the calyxes, but doesn't touch the resin production of the afghan fuel depot plant.

picture.php

R

recent guest

Also, this is temperature induced purpling. Nighttime temperatures are in the 50-60 range. Even still, some plants are more prone to it. my Chocolope x Cinderella 99 finished three weeks ago almost completely green. For a very sativa plant to finish a month before an inidca dominant plant is a very strange thing.
picture.php

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Very niice work homie! I took her ass off the map @72, pure frosty loviness. You like them done, and done well! With peace

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php