What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know your'e old when....

N

noyd666

just went to put sugar in fridge, pulled new milk out , old milk sitting on bench fuk lol.

Classic Seeds

Veteran
you know your old when you remember when the dead sea was not even sick yet as a child.you can remember the first TV's with post card sized picture tubes and everyone in the neighborhood flocking around it waiting for the 2 shows that night to get broadcast but till that magic hour you watched the test pattern with impatience. you know your old if you know where to hit the old wringer washing machines to free your hands or shirt or god forbid a womens boob from the rollers aloha cls ps when refridgerators were ice boxes literally you got ice delivered twice a week to keep food cold and a computer was pencil and a piece of paper and your brain

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you can just remember hearing Churchill speaking live on the marconi (valve radio) , spending nights in anderson shelters and the street parties on VE day , and missing the ones who never came back.

The luxury of having cold running water indoors from a scullery tap , and outside toilets.

Finally getting mains electricity and replacing the gas lights , no television and everyone had a hobby.

When milk , bread and coal were still delivered by horsedrawn waggons , and collecting the droppings in a bucket for the garden.

When most had chickens and many had a pig , slaughtered at home.

When washing clothes took a whole day , everyone had a job and food was still rationed , no supermarkets and shopping took forever.

Before health and safety was invented and fireworks were still powerfull and exciting , smoking was almost compulsory and promoted as a slimming aid , if you got injured you blamed your own stupidity rather than sue.

A ten shilling note on your birthday (50 pence) was a fortune to a child and you could eat yourself sick on sweets for a shilling.

When a childhood desease could take or cripple you at any time and everyone knew a victim or had lost a sibling , scabies , nits and tapeworms still common.

No shops oppened on sunday and spending/wasting half that day in church , continental drift was still only a theory in textbooks and DNA had yet to be discovered.

When very few had cars and everyone used a bike or the tram.

Buying a German or Japanese car would have been considered a traitorous act.

When you can remember your early childhood better than what you did last week , seem to have no recollection of the 1980,s , probably no great loss given the music atrocities committed.

A TV remote control was an eight foot long bamboo cane , with only two channels.

When aircraft simply left contrails and it was not some imagined plot to kill us , few CT,s before the internet , the end is nigh nutters had to stand on a soapbox in the park and few bothered.

My grandchildren find it hard to beleive how much things have changed , but its not really that long ago.
Even with the hardships i think life was better in many ways postwar , and more fun to be a child then than today.

Reading that list back i feel like some ancient relic of a lost age.

the old wringer washing machines

Still have a 1950 ACME freestanding mangle and a contempory toploader in regular use , crushed many a finger over the years , will last another century with care.
The machine is on its third motor and built like a tank , will see us out , more solid than any modern one which are not made to last very long.

T

tropicannayeah

seem to have no recollection of the 1980,s , probably no great loss given the music atrocities committed.

You're right there......but let's not forget just how bad 90's music was, so bad in fact that it makes 80's music seem a tad less atrocious.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
you remember a time when there was no such thing as a conspiracy theory, everything was just a theory until proven incorrect or completely implausible, and critical thinking/common sense still actually existed to some small extent out there in the western population.. I suppose you don't have to be that old to remember that one..

I'm sure i remember a time when some people in the west expected politicians to do good instead of evil(apathy) and make good on their promises but i think that was my imagination all along..

you know you are old when the tv is encouraging children to "twerk", date rape and then rate their favourite condom outlet in association with eMpTVy..

when i grew up children used to knock on each others houses and ride bikes around in the sun, not have gangbangs on webcams and commit suicide over internet bullying.

I remember when people would always take a smile as genuine instead of thinking your about to rob them.

you know you are old when the fabric of society shifts that much you no longer feel like the general definition of a human anymore, happens to every generation in our time and it isn't an accident, nor is it a natural manifestation of a culturally evolving species as we like to tell ourselves to feel better about it. It's social conditioning, we are shaped by our governmnets and national curriculums/TV to be exactly what the billionaire barons/ nwo think tank owners want us to be.. now there is a conspiracy for you, not much theory needed at all if you have half a functioning brain.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
While a kid, the term "bicycle helmet" was foreign--it was something only professional racers wore.

You could ride your brand new Schwinn Stingray--candy apple red with the sparkly white quilted banana seat--all day, sometimes as late as 10PM (8PM on school nights) and your parents never worried.

And...if I missed dinner, too bad then I went to bad hungry! No parental abuse to wash my mouth with soap if I lied, and parents did not spare the rod....remember the "infamous leather belt"?....LOL. Parents do shit like that now days...the kids cry abuse and attorneys file lawsuits.

The term "time out" was a something you did to pause a game, not "negotiated punishment" like stand in the corner. LOL.

When you turned off your TV (B&W of course) in the middle of the screen, you recall staring at the bright white dot--until it gradually got smaller and faded away.

When you used a timing light to adjust your car's distributor to be exactly "6 degrees before top dead center".

You could convince your girlfriend that her "chromium, platinum plated muffler bearings needed replacing".

National Geographic Magazine, not Playboy, is where you first saw pictures of giant boobs (topless natives).

Too funny---lots of good posters here!

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
National Geographic Magazine, not Playboy, is where you first saw pictures of giant boobs (topless natives).

If you were really lucky you might find some seriously erotic pictures in gentleman's magazines like this , pubic hair had not been invented at this time . . .

picture.php

T

tropicannayeah

..when noticing some young person doing something highly stupid you mutter to yourself with a sad chuckle and a slow head shake "If they are the future, then we're all in big trouble!"

but you also remember 50 years ago when you were young and doing stupid shit and you heard something similar...lol

armedoldhippy

Veteran
when you fall asleep while sitting on the toilet & drool on your magazine... (yes, yesterday afternoon. thank God my wife & kids were gone):biggrin:

justpassnthru

Veteran
When you drive thru Del Taco for the first time and they automatically give a 'senior' discount, without asking for it. :biggrin: jpt

Scroggy B

You know you're old if you use long division/multiplication on the newspaper's margins to calculate stuff.
You're probably old if you go to a concert, and spend the whole concert complaining about the crowdedness and wishing to go back home.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When the bartender cards you, and instead of being flattered you think he's being an asshole. "Dude, do you see the grey hair?" Lol.

T

tropicannayeah

I'm 56 and I was carded at a bar in Montreal last year at a bar full of late 20 and 30 year olds . There were 3 security guards working the door. He asked for ID, I laughed and gave the 400 pound numb-nut the ID, paid and went in.....about 2 minutes later, one of the security people, a big Jamaican garrl, walked past and laughed as she said " Did he card you?" I laughed a yes and we high fived as she walked past...both of us shaking our heads.

T

tropicannayeah

that probably doesn't sound that amazing to most Nth Americans, but outside the US and Canada, carding, unless you are obviously 15, basically doesn't exist or if it does, it doesn't to the extreme extent that it happens in the Nth America. To put that into perspective, I've drank in pubs in Australia, UK, all over Asia and have been "carded" maybe a couple of times in my life..so it was weird and funny to be carded in Canada

Classic Seeds

Veteran
ha ha as old as I am I think I would thank them for the complement of a carding kind of hard to tell I am not 20 what with a white beard and shiny bald head ,maybe I should ask if there is some medicine they missed taking today if I do get carded aloha cls