Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > preservative seeds - how you do it ?

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
preservative seeds - how you do it ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2004, 07:20 AM #11
ezozo

ezozo is on a distinguished road
thanks everyone I will save them on the refrigerator and wouldn't freez them.
and I will lower my desiccant.
ezozo is offline Quote

Old 11-06-2004, 02:00 AM #12
Chiefsmokingbud
Slap-A-Ho tribe

Chiefsmokingbud is just really niceChiefsmokingbud is just really niceChiefsmokingbud is just really niceChiefsmokingbud is just really niceChiefsmokingbud is just really niceChiefsmokingbud is just really niceChiefsmokingbud is just really niceChiefsmokingbud is just really niceChiefsmokingbud is just really niceChiefsmokingbud is just really nice
Well i started a method of seed storage about a year ago....based on a few things i have read. What i have read:

Seeds must be stored in a way which maintains their viability for long periods. Seeds left at ambient temperatures and relative humidities will lose their viability quickly whilst seeds stored in conditions of low moisture content and temperature will retain their viability for longer periods. Accessions held in a genebank are valuable and represent plants which are no longer available or which are endangered in their natural environment. These seeds must be conserved in the genebank for use in plant breeding in the future. As soon as the seed has matured on the plant the slow process of deterioration begins. Therefore the sooner that seeds are placed into store the better. In practical terms this means that seeds collected in the field should be quickly returned to genebanks, processed and placed into store as soon as the cleaning, drying and packaging processes are complete. he conditions which prolong viability during storage have been well defined for seeds which are tolerant of desiccation. Storage conditions have been recommended by the IBPGR Advisory Committee on Seed Storage. For base collections, seeds of between 3-7 % moisture content should be stored in sealed containers. Sub-zero temperatures are acceptable, but -18 °C or less is preferred. For active collections sealed storage of seeds dried to 7% moisture content or less is recommended at temperatures of less than 15 °C. Unsealed storage is not encouraged. In particular, it is not recommended in tropical areas.

i also read that moisture content plays a key role in viability of seeds. The more the moisture content of the seed the quicker it degrades. because too much moisture can cause cell division and rupturing of cell walls, thus causing the seed to become non viable.

i live in a very tropical area with very high humidity. what i decided to do was put seeds in a small plastic bottle, to label them and keep seeds seperated. I poke about 4 holes in the top of the bottle to allow moisture to escape and not be trapped inside. i place the bottles in a mason jar which has a thermometer to monitor temp and humidity. I place dessicant on top of the bottles. put the lid on and use a pump-n-seal to vacuum seal it (mainly to get out moisture and too keep moisture from getting in and quickly saturating the dessicant)
This is just my method, take it for what it's worth.

~~~Big buds and MoNsTer colas~~~

Butane honey oil for dummies
~~Pain free hash making made easy~~
Chiefsmokingbud is offline Quote

Old 11-06-2004, 02:13 AM #13
ezozo

ezozo is on a distinguished road
Hi Chief thanks good info.
can you upload the picture to your gallery here and put it in place.
because we can't see OG pictures here ;( in remote ...

thanks
zozo
ezozo is offline Quote