What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Liquid Nitrogen for dewax

Blander66

Hello all, I have searched and picked up that some people use liquid nitrogen for dewax. I just upgraded to a 6”x48” fully jacket dewax column and I am looking for a better way to chill it then dry ice bath and a circulation pump.

To thoese that are doing this what is your setup like? I already have a thermocouple in my dewax so I can monitor internal temps so I can keep it from getting to cold.

Thanks in advance for the replies

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello all, I have searched and picked up that some people use liquid nitrogen for dewax. I just upgraded to a 6”x48” fully jacket dewax column and I am looking for a better way to chill it then dry ice bath and a circulation pump.

To thoese that are doing this what is your setup like? I already have a thermocouple in my dewax so I can monitor internal temps so I can keep it from getting to cold.

Thanks in advance for the replies

WolfWurx used liquid N2 and a counterflow heat exchanger to chill the LPG before extracting, to minimize wax pickup, so that a subsequent winterizing wasn't required.

Blander66

WolfWurx used liquid N2 and a counterflow heat exchanger to chill the LPG before extracting, to minimize wax pickup, so that a subsequent winterizing wasn't required.

Thank you for the reply was hoping you would respond. Would this work as well with a butane only mix? That’s what I am currently running, a mixed solvent is in my future plans but I’m not there yet.

I would think for live resin runs where I use my dewax column as a material column it would still be a good idea to chill it with liquid nitrogen.

I was just very surprised how cheap liquid nitrogen is compared to dry ice especially being I have a 1.5 hour round trip for dry ice

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for the reply was hoping you would respond. Would this work as well with a butane only mix? That’s what I am currently running, a mixed solvent is in my future plans but I’m not there yet.

I would think for live resin runs where I use my dewax column as a material column it would still be a good idea to chill it with liquid nitrogen.

I was just very surprised how cheap liquid nitrogen is compared to dry ice especially being I have a 1.5 hour round trip for dry ice

Yes, it works well with straight Instrument grade butane.

LN2 would also work in a dewax column jacket to chill the material. I would blast it in the bottom port and vent out the top.