What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenes for edibles

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
So, I just took a drop of water from my 1ml pipette and it weighs about 10mg on my scale......

5 drops was about 58mg. Can I use drops like this as a measuring stick? Or, do I need to be more accurate? I'm sure the terps weigh more than the water but I'm close, yes?

If I need to be more accurate, I'll find a way. Otherwise, measuring in drops is OK?

Thanks again

EDIT: How are you measuring the recipes you posted?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Try an extra hard decarb if you are getting no effect at all off a gram. I was under the same impression, eating cannabis wasn't working for me because of my high tolerance.... Not true, I ate 2 grams a few weeks ago that were decarbed hard (not a hundred percent how long or hot but much longer then I usually do) and damn I was not ready for that. I usually feel barely anything from a fat dose but this time I was stupefied and could barely move for the rest of the night. Next Time I make some I will be taking a lot less then two grams but I will be over decarbing from now on. Ps I used to just let the bubbles stop at 250 and call it good and everyone I gave them to got grate results and loved them. I would eat them and feel nothing blaming my high tolerance.

I am in agreement all the way. The only small effect I get from edibles is made from rosin chips. And, since I press at 240F, the rosin chips are half decarb'd already. Then, an all-day crock pot cook and then to butter.

That method sure seems like it's more than the 10 minute/hot plate method I usually use, now. LOL

Certainly something to thnk about.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
So, I just took a drop of water from my 1ml pipette and it weighs about 10mg on my scale......

5 drops was about 58mg. Can I use drops like this as a measuring stick? Or, do I need to be more accurate? I'm sure the terps weigh more than the water but I'm close, yes?

If I need to be more accurate, I'll find a way. Otherwise, measuring in drops is OK?

Thanks again

That is really close to what I get on my scale, ~10-12mg per drop of terpenes. I like to regularly make small custom blends for my personal vape pen, and add 10 drops (often from different mixtures) to 500mg of shatter, which usually comes in right around 625mg (25% terpene blend). It is nice to see exactly, but if it is for your personal consumption, measuring by the drop is perfectly fine and practical solution.

Using a mg scale (and just replace ml from recipe with mg) is a great way to initially measure your terpene isolates when creating blends. Just keep taring to zero and it is easy to keep track of as you go down the list. Another way is an accurate pipette, and it is of course easier to make in larger batches.

There is an extraction artist named Horatio who extracts with DLimonene. He said to be careful of terpenes that aren't cannabis derived because they are solvents and can pull undesirables from the plastics they are packaged in. He takes his and distills them to higher purity before extracting with them. Bubbleman made a video with him and he takes clear DLimonene terps and distills some crazy red stuff out off it before using it to extract with. Kind of interesting.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
That is really close to what I get on my scale, ~10-12mg per drop of terpenes. I like to regularly make small custom blends for my personal vape pen, and add 10 drops (often from different mixtures) to 500mg of shatter, which usually comes in right around 625mg (25% terpene blend). It is nice to see exactly, but if it is for your personal consumption, measuring by the drop is perfectly fine and practical solution.

Using a mg scale (and just replace ml from recipe with mg) is a great way to initially measure your terpene isolates when creating blends. Just keep taring to zero and it is easy to keep track of as you go down the list. Another way is an accurate pipette, and it is of course easier to make in larger batches.

Given the cost of the terps I wonder if something like this might be worthwhile....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-...137178?hash=item2a5f65db1a:g:6E4AAOSwal5YIRuJ

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Given the cost of the terps I wonder if something like this might be worthwhile....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-...137178?hash=item2a5f65db1a:g:6E4AAOSwal5YIRuJ

It most certainly is a good piece of kit to have, but it really depends on your scale and frequency of mixing. What is good for mixing small batches might not be good for larger ones. I just use some glass pipettes myself, but going forward I think that I will weigh the terpenes as described above. You want a ratio of terpenes and not an exact ml volume, so it is easy to just swap ml for grams.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
There is an extraction artist named Horatio who extracts with DLimonene. He said to be careful of terpenes that aren't cannabis derived because they are solvents and can pull undesirables from the plastics they are packaged in. He takes his and distills them to higher purity before extracting with them. Bubbleman made a video with him and he takes clear DLimonene terps and distills some crazy red stuff out off it before using it to extract with. Kind of interesting.

Hey Pat! This is why I only recommend True Terpenes, which has each batch lab tested, versus something bought in a health food store. GW also recommended Extract Consultants, and they seem equally legit. Interesting thought about terpenes and edible packaging plastics.

Hey Pat! This is why I only recommend True Terpenes, which has each batch lab tested, versus something bought in a health food store. GW also recommended Extract Consultants, and they seem equally legit. Interesting thought about terpenes and edible packaging plastics.
Have you tried
blue river terpenes

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Have you tried
blue river terpenes

I have not, and just took another look at their site. At $240 per 1oz, it is at least 10x the price of isolates. I personally know that cannabis derived terps are better - more complete effect, and the most important aspect is it tastes like the real strain. The reason that the price is high is because the yield is low (~1.5ml per 100 grams of flowers processed). Isolates when blended together do not have the taste/flavor profile but has an effect that comes pretty close. In the next month or so, I will be posting a large amount of details and data on vacuum oven extraction of cannabis terpenes for those interested.

So excited for this thread. Edibles are much better medicine than inhalation. Inhalation is great too, I do my fair share of .5g dabs; but nothing compares to a proper edible in my mind.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Hey WFF, those people at TrueTerps are not real big on correspondence are they? LOL

I placed the order but I never received any kind of confirmation or anything. I can log in and the order is "processing" but that's it.

Did you get a confirming email when you placed your order?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hey WFF, those people at TrueTerps are not real big on correspondence are they? LOL

I placed the order but I never received any kind of confirmation or anything. I can log in and the order is "processing" but that's it.

Did you get a confirming email when you placed your order?

If I remember, it did take a few days to ship out each time, but express once shipped. If you put your cell number, they send text alerts.

Terpenes definitely do something big for edibles. Took 1.5g decarbed bho orally and experienced very little (I regularly dose 1g edibles so kind of a high tolerance). Next day I had some unrelated heartburn and took a limonene pill. 30 minutes later and without ingesting any additional cannabis I got hit very hard with a wave and had to sit down. Lasted 3 more hours.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I contacted Trueterps again today. I am beginning to think they are a scam site.4 days and 2 attempts to contact them with no response at all.

I'll place an order with the place GW suggested and cancel my trueterps order.

ozzieAI

Veteran
Terpenes definitely do something big for edibles. Took 1.5g decarbed bho orally and experienced very little (I regularly dose 1g edibles so kind of a high tolerance). Next day I had some unrelated heartburn and took a limonene pill. 30 minutes later and without ingesting any additional cannabis I got hit very hard with a wave and had to sit down. Lasted 3 more hours.

okay it is not just me...had something similar...and unexpected when i mixed limonene (lemon essential oil) and wheat grass together in a cap...

1.5g of bho potentially = 1200mg of thc...mad bastard...like your style...

some of you guys have high (compared to me) tolerances or there is something else at play...

ozzieAI

Veteran
I contacted Trueterps again today. I am beginning to think they are a scam site.4 days and 2 attempts to contact them with no response at all.

I'll place an order with the place GW suggested and cancel my trueterps order.

pity...watching this with interest before i drop $1500 aus on terps...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I finally got through to someone via the chat button on their web site. After a few, somewhat harsh words from yours truly, the order is supposed to ship today. However, I have not received any confirmation yet.

I can't say that I would recommend this company. The address on the web site comes up as a plumbing company on Google. LOL

I still have not received any reply to the 2 messages I sent them earlier, either.

There are simply too many one-day, efficient online stores these days to bother with anyone like this.

To each their own but I won't be ordering from them again.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Well, they sent me a tracking number and UPS has it so we'll see.

They must have put the box on a turtles back because UPS says it will take 8 days to deliver?????? WTF, I could walk that far in 8 days. LMAO

Last edited: