Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Pittmoss. Has anyone tried it?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at Seedbay
Pittmoss. Has anyone tried it? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2017, 09:50 PM #1
iBogart

iBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really nice
Pittmoss. Has anyone tried it?

https://pittmoss.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUskZMtJyyU

https://buildasoil.com/collections/s...ducts/pittmoss

Stuff looks pretty good for organic and hydro though i don't think you could call this stuff organic. Better for the environment than peat or coco however, being recycled from newspaper and made in Pennsylvania.

edit: It is OMRI listed.

Last edited by iBogart; 11-15-2017 at 12:52 AM..
iBogart is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:04 PM #2
h.h.

h.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really nice
I thought you couldn't spell peat. I started to pass this thread up, then I had a touch of empathy. Just a tiny touch.

I guess you can spell. I probably should apologize. Moving on...

A little on the high $ide and a bit of concern over the manufacturing process, I'm in an experimental mood and took the bait.

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like it may be a good product. I'm really hoping that it lives up to the expectations and if it has a smaller footprint and is more earth friendly? We shall see.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 PM #3
iBogart

iBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.h. View Post
I thought you couldn't spell peat. I started to pass this thread up, then I had a touch of empathy. Just a tiny touch.

I guess you can spell. I probably should apologize. Moving on...

A little on the high $ide and a bit of concern over the manufacturing process, I'm in an experimental mood and took the bait.

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like it may be a good product. I'm really hoping that it lives up to the expectations and if it has a smaller footprint and is more earth friendly? We shall see.
Yeah I was thinking perhaps people wouldn't get the play on words the product uses.

Once you get it and start working with it, get back to this thread with your review. As soon as I get my garden going again, I'll do the same.

Oh yeah, apparently three sharks from that show Shark Tank invested in it. Just a little fyi.
iBogart is offline Quote

Old 11-17-2017, 01:08 PM #4
h.h.

h.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really nice
Mark Cuban is in the cannabis business. Keurig is owned by EZ Wider. Mainstream capitalistic pot heads.The world is changing around me.
The next big thing. The money to be made is in the peripherals. Selling to those who think they're gonna make money..

I can give a preliminary assessment when the medium arrives. It may be a wee bit before I actually put any plants in it.

If the aeration and the buffering is as they claim, it will be a good addition to my old soil, which is mostly SPM.

I don't like perlite, but everything else is so heavy. I like to move the pots out in the sun on occasion, so weight is important. I hope this helps.

Thanks for bringing it up.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 11-22-2017, 02:20 PM #5
h.h.

I received my Pitt Moss soil amendment last night. I had had this vision in my head of receiving a bag full of soggy newspapers and with just a quick review, it appears that is what I have received. I'm not sure how this won't quickly decompose.
It does have a slight smell to it. Not strong, just different from regular newspaper. I'm curious about the treatment.
Volume wise, I ordered 2 cubic feet. The bag was 2 cubic feet. All balled up in the bottom of the bag, it may have been half of that.
The price was too dang high. Mostly due to shipping. If it proves out, that should come way down with distribution.
With poor bag appeal, I wouldn't buy it by sight.

I remain positive. The product claims are encouraging while not seemingly unreal. To garner the investment money takes some credibility. Either way, the cellulose will be good for the soil.

I'm going to start it out as part of my worm bedding. Then it will become part of my aeration mix.
As I think it's going to blend into the soil, it's going to be tough to evaluate unless I was to do a side by side and make assumptions.
I wish they'd put out more technical data.
The best quality so far is that it isn't perlite.
h.h. is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:31 PM #6
h.h.

Fluffed up, whats sold for 2 cubic feet = 1.35 cubic feet.

After adding it to roughly 11 cubic feet of mix, I could tell the difference in the tilth. I was wishing that I had a couple more bags as to get closer to the recommended amount.

One vendor wants about $10 a bag. If I could find it for that without paying $13 shipping, I would certainly consider buying more. If I knew it was going to hold up over a couple years time, I'd even consider paying the shipping.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 05:53 AM #7
KIS

KIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura about
It's interesting for sure, but I just found it to be overpriced and not very sustainable here on the West Coast with shipping. I'd like to see a nutrient analysis on it as well. Most peat substitutes I've seen look similar at first glance but are lacking in other aspects....too alkaline, no beneficial microbes, poor CEC, etc....
KIS is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 06:53 AM #8
iBogart

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.h. View Post
Fluffed up, whats sold for 2 cubic feet = 1.35 cubic feet.

After adding it to roughly 11 cubic feet of mix, I could tell the difference in the tilth. I was wishing that I had a couple more bags as to get closer to the recommended amount.

One vendor wants about $10 a bag. If I could find it for that without paying $13 shipping, I would certainly consider buying more. If I knew it was going to hold up over a couple years time, I'd even consider paying the shipping.
buildasoil.com just dropped their price to 7 dollars for 1 cuft. It's pretty much fresh on the market for 2017. Sucks that the bag you got didn't amount to what was stated. That's not good. Was that bag directly from Pittmoss or re-bagged by another vendor?
iBogart is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 AM #9
iBogart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
It's interesting for sure, but I just found it to be overpriced and not very sustainable here on the West Coast with shipping. I'd like to see a nutrient analysis on it as well. Most peat substitutes I've seen look similar at first glance but are lacking in other aspects....too alkaline, no beneficial microbes, poor CEC, etc....
Well, peat comes from Canada and destroys the bogs. Coco ships from India, so there's that.

Recycled cellulose made in Pennsylvania ain't too shabby compared to what's currently on the shelves for a base medium in a potting mix. If you do a little research you'll find that product claims to have a neutral ph of 6.5 that's easy to adjust, microbe friendly, with a low cec and good water retention.
iBogart is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 12:50 PM #10
h.h.

I'd like to see the claims backed up with some citations.

There's a lot that they're not telling us. Only claims for me to test out at $13 a cubic foot. I'm not smart and I'm not rich. I want them to do that.
h.h. is offline Quote