Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Thread Title Search
Thread Closed
Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2017, 11:30 PM #3551
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Easy,

Your K is already too low. I imagine there is some K in the kelp....
I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone

Old 12-29-2017, 11:36 PM #3552
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Hermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of light
This soil has about 6 weeks of down time before i pot it up for spring. Right now it's resting ~55°, loaded with worms What might I do to get my Ca up K down? Thanks for any insights suggestions

Old 12-29-2017, 11:50 PM #3553
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Hermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of light
My water supply looks like this, but i use
as much rain and r/o water as possible. Tap water would account for less than 50% of all
irrigation.

Component
Value Unit pH 7.3
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 260 ppm Electrical Conductivity 0.43 mmho/cm Cations / Anions 4.3 / 4.2 me/L Sodium, Na 34 ppm Potassium, K 3 ppm Calcium, Ca 39 ppm Magnesium, Mg 10 ppm Total Hardness, CaCO3 139 ppm Nitrate, NO3-N 1.3 (SAFE) ppm Sulfate, SO4-S 8 ppm Chloride, Cl 73 ppm Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0 ppm Bicarbonate, HCO3 91 ppm Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 75 ppm Total Phosphorus, P 1.33 ppm Total Iron, Fe 0.03 ppm

Happy new Year

Old 12-30-2017, 12:27 AM #3554
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermen_eutics View Post
View Image This soil has about 6 weeks of down time before i pot it up for spring. Right now it's resting ~55°, loaded with worms What might I do to get my Ca up K down? Thanks for any insights suggestions
Sure looks like you got a bunch of gypsum in this sample...
TO THIS WORLD

Old 12-30-2017, 01:11 AM #3555
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownickel View Post
Thanks for taking a look.

Certainly could be true. I irrigated 200gms of gypsum in 2 gals of r/o water through 20 gals of media about 3 weeks before sampling. About one week before sampling i irrigated it again with 10 gals of rain water. I took the samples from a few different spots in the bags, mixed them up and shook them through a coarse china cap. Since the soil is very recycled the sieving stopped more than ~70% of the sample material from passing through.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 AM #3556
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Quote:
Slightly off topic, seeing in your SIG "one straw revolution" I read through the text. He's a Buddha!

But I wondered what you thought about his practices of relying on local amendments to maintain optimal conditions. Fukuoka doesn't seem concerned with or effected by trace element deficiency or base saturation.

Do you wonder if he might have done even better with a K3 and a prescription?

Old 12-30-2017, 03:11 AM #3557
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Slightly off topic, seeing in your SIG "one straw revolution" I read through the text. He's a Buddha!

But I wondered what you thought about his practices of relying on local amendments to maintain optimal conditions. Fukuoka doesn't seem concerned with or effected by trace element deficiency or base saturation.

Do you wonder if he might have done even better with a K3 and a prescription?
Never read his book, but I loved that quote.

There were a group of Shogo's from Japan that followed Fukuoka concepts in Costa Rica. They had the worst veggies you could ever imagine. I did get them to use some calcium carbonate one time, but they wouldn't let me help them with anything else. The project closed, the Japanese went home and the farmer went broke.

Even with bio-accumulator plants it would be impossible to grow much of anything at any scale.

The real queen of this topic is Elaine Ingram. The disasters she has made in so many farms is terrible. She makes folks believe that with enough biology you can make everything that you need available. Either she couldn't get folks to grow enough biology or she is wrong.

There are soils that have no boron. Or no manganese, or are toxic in iron and aluminum. Or have no phosphorus. None seem to have enough calcium. And for those growing cannabis, which is an annual, how do we magically reverse what didn't function in the ag universe and in 6 months?

Seems that everyone that has tried using a bit more GOOD science is liking the results!!!

But hey, maybe I am wrong.
TO THIS WORLD

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:14 AM #3558
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for taking a look.

Certainly could be true. I irrigated 200gms of gypsum in 2 gals of r/o water through 20 gals of media about 3 weeks before sampling. About one week before sampling i irrigated it again with 10 gals of rain water. I took the samples from a few different spots in the bags, mixed them up and shook them through a coarse china cap. Since the soil is very recycled the sieving stopped more than ~70% of the sample material from passing through.
How heavy is this mix? How long does it take to dry out?

Did you ask Spectrum to post the results to my account so that I can download your data in excel and at the same time get the indexed metals (Mn and Cu)?
TO THIS WORLD

Old 12-30-2017, 04:00 AM #3559
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Quote:
How heavy is this mix? How long does it take to dry out?

Did you ask Spectrum to post the results to my account so that I can download your data in excel and at the same time get the indexed metals (Mn and Cu)?
This mix is pretty light, when plants are cranking it goes from saturated to slightly moist in 2 days, 3 days max @ 75°, 60% rh, ~1100ppfd..

Right now it's sitting in 15 gal smart pots in a dark, 50°room. It takes about 10-14 to go from saturated to just damp. It's not a tight or heavy mix at all.

Fukuoka uses rice straw to take care of business, and feces.

I did ask spectrum to post to your account. Test date is 12/26.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:08 AM #3560
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
This mix is pretty light, when plants are cranking it goes from saturated to slightly moist in 2 days, 3 days max @ 75°, 60% rh, ~1100ppfd..

Right now it's sitting in 15 gal smart pots in a dark, 50°room. It takes about 10-14 to go from saturated to just damp. It's not a tight or heavy mix at all.

Fukuoka uses rice straw to take care of business, and feces.

I did ask spectrum to post to your account. Test date is 12/26.
Not sure why, but it didn't get posted yet.

Your mix is too heavy. You really want a mix to dry out daily so that you can water and feed daily. Maybe you need some more rice straw.... haha
TO THIS WORLD

Thread Closed