Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Pittmoss. Has anyone tried it?

Thread Title Search
Click for Weed Seed Shop
Pittmoss. Has anyone tried it? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2017, 07:17 AM #11
Patmando22

Patmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nice
Just saw this on buildasoils web page, there is a side buy side by them on there ig looks pretty good
Patmando22 is offline Quote

Old 12-01-2017, 04:54 PM #12
h.h.

h.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really nice
After addressing my concerns with Pittmoss, they volunteered to send me a replacement bag. Customer relations is top notch. Perhaps if they transferred those employees over to quality control.
It's bagged by a third party and there's the rub. Loss of oversight.

To me, it looks like combed newspaper. I can't see it holding up for long time use. I think nurseries would be a good market. Plants meant for transplant. Light weight soil saves labor.
If the manufacturing process could be confined to a trailer, it could be driven from nursery to nursery where local recycling products would be collected.
He just needs to bring in Elon Musk, make it electric. And me to tell them how to do it all.
h.h. is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:39 PM #13
KIS

KIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura aboutKIS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBogart View Post
Well, peat comes from Canada and destroys the bogs. Coco ships from India, so there's that.

Recycled cellulose made in Pennsylvania ain't too shabby compared to what's currently on the shelves for a base medium in a potting mix. If you do a little research you'll find that product claims to have a neutral ph of 6.5 that's easy to adjust, microbe friendly, with a low cec and good water retention.
The test I saw I thought showed high but I could be mistaken. I look at too many of these tests on a given day it seems like.

Why would you want low CEC unless you have a dialed in and schedule fertigation program?

Yes, peat and coco are not perfect. There's a reason the nursery and horticultural world are using peat moss though and not pit moss.

I'm all for sustainability and environmentally friendly options. I have a greater fossil fuel cost to get pitt moss to me on the West Coast than peat moss from Canada or local bogs.

As someone running a commercial nursery and greenhouse, I can't afford to pay double my cost for media or more (which was where pitt moss landed).

If you're a home grower and not having to look at numbers and live closer to the source, then maybe it's a good option.

I'd like to know a bit more about how it's made in regards to fossil fuel costs, etc.....and also if there's been any heavy metal testing done on the final product especially cadmium levels.

If you have any of these answers I'd love to learn more. Thanks!
KIS is offline Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 10:21 AM #14
wasup

wasup is just really nicewasup is just really nicewasup is just really nicewasup is just really nicewasup is just really nicewasup is just really nicewasup is just really nicewasup is just really nicewasup is just really nicewasup is just really nicewasup is just really nice
i need replacement for bb light mix...
using peat is not sustainable...not alright at all...(no offense)

but what can we take as replacement....pittmoss vs peat ...pittmoss seems not compete able to peat...
i kno this cellulose stuff as worm feed ....
i dunno guys...ok maybe its worth a test ...but i dunno..
guess it will shrink plenty with the time

there must be better replacements out there...but not for cheap i guess , otherwise we would have some available at supply market..??
-------------------
-------------------
i knew bout cadmium in acidity conifer wood chips mulch..the acid washes the cadmium out of the minerals..
thx again kis for advice of hm accumulation in canna

no till shizl

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=337629&page=1 7

wasup is offline Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 02:52 PM #15
h.h.

h.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really nice
After my complaints, PittMoss sent me a second bag of amendment.

I must say it's pretty nice when it's all fluffed up. They sent me a nice bag. No guarantee that ordering a 3rd bag wouldn't bring another wad of paper like my first bag was. Perhaps a second party such as BAS would have been a bit more selective.

The first cut is the deepest. Poor quality control is a red flag when it comes to their other unbacked claims.
I like the concept and hope they can work it out. Sometimes they just can't.
h.h. is offline Quote