Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Growroom Lighting > Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Ceramic Solutions!
Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 PM #7141
Jhhnn
Banned

Jhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat130ysmurf View Post
After hearing all the hype about cmh, decided to give em a try.... got cultilux de 1000w cmh and put them up in half of a flower house to compare them to de 1000w hps, which were already running.... the plants looked fine when they first went in but within a week began to look shiny and started curling and twisting along with some leaves dying... all plants were effected, but the further from the cmh, the less damage....the recomended distance from lamp to canopy is 36-42"... i measured 48" from lamp to canopy....... the plants furthest from the cmh were only damaged on what appeared to be the very edge of the cmh footprint, as the side of plants along the greenhouse wall were healthy..... i pulled all of the cmh out and put hps back in and the plants are beginning to recover.... definitely not what i expected....still considering de 630w cmh, but not so sure after my experience.....any advice, suggestions, comments?
I suspect that you have a borderline deficiency of calcium & magnesium. Plants grow faster & take up nutrients at a higher rate with more light. Going back to HPS puts that uptake back into the range of what's available.
Jhhnn is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2018, 08:43 PM #7142
purplepassion

purplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the rough
I hear the de versions put out a lot of radiation. Stick to single ended cmh.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:50 PM #7143
dat130ysmurf

dat130ysmurf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
I suspect that you have a borderline deficiency of calcium & magnesium. Plants grow faster & take up nutrients at a higher rate with more light. Going back to HPS puts that uptake back into the range of what's available.
so feeding increased nute dosage should be the solution?
dat130ysmurf is offline Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 05:35 PM #7144
Jhhnn
Banned

Jhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat130ysmurf View Post
so feeding increased nute dosage should be the solution?
Or maybe just add cal-mag or similar to the nutrient solution. I'm not a hydro grower so I'm not a good source of advice on the subject.
Jhhnn is offline Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 07:23 PM #7145
Dr. Purpur
Custom Haze crosses

Dr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepassion View Post
I hear the de versions put out a lot of radiation. Stick to single ended cmh.
What I like about the single ended 630 CMG, is, you run 2 lamps so you can mix spectrums. Im running 3000K Reds, and 4000K blues in each fixture

Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 PM #7146
Jhhnn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Purpur View Post
What I like about the single ended 630 CMG, is, you run 2 lamps so you can mix spectrums. Im running 3000K Reds, and 4000K blues in each fixture
I like the redundancy of twin 315's in my 4x4 space. If one ballast fails the other keeps working. When the capacitor failed on my previous 1000w mag ballast I had to rig up other lighting to maintain photoperiod & fix it right away, actually the same day. PITA. The way it is now gives me more time to deal with a failure.

Which reminds me that I'm still looking for a great deal on a philips or similar ballast as a spare...
Jhhnn is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2018, 01:29 AM #7147
maxmurder

maxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nicemaxmurder is just really nice
Did someone on this thread say a while back that they thought plants need higher nutrition under CMH than DE lamps?

Old 01-18-2018, 02:07 AM #7148
Jhhnn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmurder View Post
Did someone on this thread say a while back that they thought plants need higher nutrition under CMH than DE lamps?
Dunno about that particular comparison (it's kinda vague) but more PAR means hungrier plants in general. I'm sure there's some point of diminished returns where more light isn't worth the money to create it but I don't know where that is.
Jhhnn is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2018, 03:14 AM #7149
Dr. Purpur
Custom Haze crosses

Dr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivorDr. Purpur is a survivor
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
Dunno about that particular comparison (it's kinda vague) but more PAR means hungrier plants in general. I'm sure there's some point of diminished returns where more light isn't worth the money to create it but I don't know where that is.

CMH= more PAR per watt. A lot cheaper to run a 630 for the same bang as a 1000 watt sodium.

Your electric bill will be 37% cheaper

Old 01-18-2018, 04:03 AM #7150
Jhhnn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Purpur View Post
CMH= more PAR per watt. A lot cheaper to run a 630 for the same bang as a 1000 watt sodium.

Your electric bill will be 37% cheaper
I really didn't notice any change in yield when I went from 1000w to 630w of CDM's.

As you say, the electric bill is considerably less. There's also proportionately less total heat to dissipate. I had trouble keeping temps right in hot weather using 1000w but it's easy now, even turning down the fans somewhat. If you run A/C then electric savings there will be proportional, I think. There may be better answers for larger grows but twin 315's in a 4x4 is near ideal for us.

The price & availability of 120v ballasts makes them very attractive for anybody willing to put a little more up front, particularly anybody who has high electric rates. They'll pay for themselves over the first few grows & then it's just more money that stays in your pocket.

I think the high price of genuine philips lamps is offset by their much longer life so that's pretty much a wash. If I replace a 1000w lamp once a year, that's $75. If I replace two philips lamps every two years, that's $75/ year. Same-same.
Jhhnn is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.