What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A.c. for sealed room?

Earlmarne

I went gung ho, tore down my vert grow and built an 11 by 7 foot room sealed up for flower.
Ordered up some de lights, plumbing for more ppk sites 20 lb tank, fans and a 14k but single hose ac.
Now I'm reading this sucker will pull all my co2 Out?
I can't afford a mini split, looking at these dual hose set ups but read mixed reviews.
Any recommendations?
I may just bang one grow out with this single hose due to my plants being monsters but would like to get a better idea on what to do

eebbnflow

You said it ! The single will suck out the rooms air c02 and odour included.

You could try a dual hose as mentioned , or a window unit would also work if you have a window in the room . A window unit would need some light proofing though .

Seriously though if you can just splurge for the mini split you would be golden you wouldn’t be fucking around with windows or odours escaping , ive never used a dual but I’d wonder if anything is escaping ....

heatexchanger.ca is a Canadian company for DIY mini splits if it helps you

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
You’ll be sending your co2 outside with a window unit, get a mini split.

Lightproofing a window unit is waste of time; you’ll end up building what is essentially an air handler around it, and then you’ll need a bigger blower to get the conditioned air out & into the room.

Buy a mini split, spend 1 hour installing, and you’ll never have to think about cooling again.

eebbnflow

When I used a window unit I simply light proofed it by covering the styrofoam inside the unit with black spray paint . By turning all the light off inside on a sunny day I could see where the light was getting in . Where the cold air comes out there was hard styrofoam there as a barrier of some sort . No building around anything it took 15mins , make sure the unit is a unit that RECIRCULATES the air inside . Actually most are built this way anyway I didn’t loose any co2 . But I still hated it only did it for 1 season before moving to s basement .

A min split is your best option , fucking around with spray cans or building stuff is time . Plus a window unit or dual hoses from outside look shitty too just my 2cents

Earlmarne

I'm going to slap a mini split in after this run, hoping I can keep up with co2 demands with my single hose on this run

Earlmarne

Freakin portable ac sucks.
Going to buy a 12000 btu window unit and try and figure out how to frame it in on the wall facing my lung room

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
They aren't too bad

They aren't too bad

You just have to buy a vacuum pump and make sure you don't have leaks. The other options are the ones with pre charged line sets. I have done both. The diy mr. Cool units are probably the way to go if you are worried about it. They just cost a little more than the cheaper units like pioneer.

DemonTrich

Veteran
I rock a single house portable ac and I'm in a sealed room. The 20.00 a week in gas very much justified my huge co2 enriched returns. Plus I save $ on my power bill, as my ac doesn't run from flip to weeks 5.

ReeferDan

Freakin portable ac sucks.
Going to buy a 12000 btu window unit and try and figure out how to frame it in on the wall facing my lung room

Look into “through the wall” units.
I don’t understand why people get window units, they have venting on the sides and provisions to flush air from outside.

Through the wall units usually have a sleeve you can frame in, vent only through the rear, and have the evap and condenser sides seperate, usually don’t have provisions (dampers) to pull in outside air.

I just installed a 1ton Frigidaire unit in my room, out a window actually but it was a better option as far as staying sealed and the depth out my window. Very similar size room, I’m 7x12 or so.

Attachments

• 08A53144-A82E-412C-AD87-D9FD33298A78.jpg
    08A53144-A82E-412C-AD87-D9FD33298A78.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 34
  • B33F9FB8-96D7-4D73-A2B3-10F96345B741.jpg
    B33F9FB8-96D7-4D73-A2B3-10F96345B741.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 33

Earlmarne

Look into “through the wall” units.
I don’t understand why people get window units, they have venting on the sides and provisions to flush air from outside.

Through the wall units usually have a sleeve you can frame in, vent only through the rear, and have the evap and condenser sides seperate, usually don’t have provisions (dampers) to pull in outside air.

I just installed a 1ton Frigidaire unit in my room, out a window actually but it was a better option as far as staying sealed and the depth out my window. Very similar size room, I’m 7x12 or so.

That looks like the unit im looking at on ebay

ReeferDan

That looks like the unit im looking at on ebay

I didn’t get pics of the whole thing, but look into the difference between a window unit and a through the wall... you will notice it easily. Pick whichever works better for your application, I just don’t see these commonly referenced on this site, and I feel they’re always a better option at this size when you don’t want to go full split.

Earlmarne

I didn’t get pics of the whole thing, but look into the difference between a window unit and a through the wall... you will notice it easily. Pick whichever works better for your application, I just don’t see these commonly referenced on this site, and I feel they’re always a better option at this size when you don’t want to go full split.

Found an arctic king 12k btu through wall unit with heat pump also.
Think im going with it, hopefully 12k is sufficient for my 2 de lights.
This 14 k stand alone cant keep up with one light right now. I cant afford to invest the kind of money needed for a mini split for my meager garden

ReeferDan

Found an arctic king 12k btu through wall unit with heat pump also.
Think im going with it, hopefully 12k is sufficient for my 2 de lights.
This 14 k stand alone cant keep up with one light right now. I cant afford to invest the kind of money needed for a mini split for my meager garden

It should be close!
Depends where you live, osa, exposure, insulation... lots of factors. My buddy has a room twice the size of mine and he uses 2 tons (10x12 with 4 dinlux 1000’s... mine is 7x12 with 4 LED 600w equivilant but 1280 actual watts). I got a 1 ton after doin all the BTU calculations for my room. And just relative size it works out.
Best thing to do it calculate ur BTU load, pretty easy there’s a sticky with the info.

I looked into the heat pump units that could do both heating and cooling but they required a 230v plug and I didn’t have that availible in the room. I’m trying to work efficiently with what I got and that’s been a fluid balance between all equipment

Earlmarne

Ended up with a through the wall 12k koldfront unit. Just got it in tonight and its kicking butt for one light. Got alot of cleanup to do tomorrow then ill fire up both lights and see if it can keep up

MedResearcher

Veteran
Ran 7k sealed room, 6k was aircooled, 1k was bare bulb old single ended lamps with balasts stashed outside the room, with a single wall mount AC. The temps were easily stable. Used tanked Co2.

The Co2 does not need to be super high either. Cant remember the exact source but they stated better growth at around 1k ppms compared to 1400. No need to waste to much. I was lugging 3x 50 pound bottles, the old steel bottles to.. lol. Might want to get a 2nd bottle at least for seamless swap outs.

Last tidbit, dehumidifying is equally important. Need to be able to keep the RH stable and low enough to prevent fungal stuff. Faster, and fatter that canopy grows, the more moisture released. At night cycle, the plants let off tons of water, and the AC wont run, so without a strong enough dehuy your RH will spike.

gl,
Mr^^