What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor breeding vs. outdoor breeding

I've seen both sides of this argument. I personally prefer outdoor breeding because I do a lot of preservation and breeding for resistance. I can't say that outdoor breeding brings better mould, pest, pm, and frost resistance to the table over indoor, but maybe there's someone out there who has tested both and has the answers I'm looking for. I know that after breeding outdoors for over 20 years, my balls don't get nearly as cold as they did when I first started lmao. Perhaps:dance013: the same goes for plants eh?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This sounds like an interesting topic. My experience is limited to either or but not both for the same cross.

The same plants bred indoors or out will result in identical genetics. That being said, outdoors gives you the opportunity to identify those plants which have the particular attributes you are looking for, such as resistance to pest attack, frost or botrytis etc..

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen both sides of this argument. I personally prefer outdoor breeding because I do a lot of preservation and breeding for resistance. I can't say that outdoor breeding brings better mould, pest, pm, and frost resistance to the table over indoor, but maybe there's someone out there who has tested both and has the answers I'm looking for. I know that after breeding outdoors for over 20 years, my balls don't get nearly as cold as they did when I first started lmao. Perhaps:dance013: the same goes for plants eh?

What exactly was your question or theory?

namydnac

It be neat to see one strain open polinated inside and the same thing done outside. Then we could compare the seeds for differences after say 20 years or so. :dance013:

Easy7

Veteran
Selective breeding is by far much faster selection than natural selection and adaptation.

You can get more seeds from outdoors by bigger plants, far cheaper than indoors. Indoors usually will win the numbers game. Smaller plants and more of them for selection.

But outdoors is real. Outside tests plants a lot more. It's also hard to move plants and do selections guerilla. Of course, of you are a fancy rich legal grower options are greater and in your favor.

Be preparred to bust butt and possibly lose a lot.

Outdoors takes some effort to have full control of light cycle, so you'll start with strains that likely finish in your growing cycle. Rules out some exotic genetics and keeps one anchored to faster finishers, at least in the northern hemisphere

djimb

Veteran
I'm an armchair biologist at best, but to my knowledge, different environments will favor different traits. A plant that excels outdoors might be less than exceptional indoors and vice versa.

If you look at threads in which people are running landrace strains that were collected at the source in the himalayas or the tropics, you'll find that many of them have increased intersex rates, spindly unmanageable growth, and unsatisfactory yield when grown indoors under LEDs with synthetic nutes. Outdoors they do much better, showing great resistance to mildew, pests, and low temperatures. These are strains that have been selected to grow well in their home environments, outdoors. Many of the myriad Dutch or North American strains that have been bred and maintained exclusively indoors are sex-stable reliably heavy producers under lights, but are mold magnets outdoors. It's all about the selection pressures present in your environment.

Similarly, growing a short season WLD strain from the Middle East in a tropical climate near the equator is usually a disappointing endeavor, as they'll grow like autos.

Put simply, selecting parental plants that perform well in your environment will guarantee that a large proportion of their offspring will perform as well or better in that same environment, indoors or out

Easy7

Veteran
Nobody even mentions disease and pest resistance on seed brands anymore.

True breeding is lost. Cut A selfed or crossed with male B is the way it's done. Hardly even any multiple females and males. No numbers for selection. Sad really!

There is a lot in a name for a brand and the 'industry' plays that game heavily. It's either grow for seedless flowers or chuck pollen. Unless you have a canna company that can do it all, with lot's of workers.

oldbootz

Veteran
The same plants bred indoors or out will result in identical genetics. That being said, outdoors gives you the opportunity to identify those plants which have the particular attributes you are looking for, such as resistance to pest attack, frost or botrytis etc..

^^ this

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran

I have to disagree with this one.

Surely if there's any diversity in a strain different genes will be selected for in an outdoor vs an indoor environment. Eventually due to genetic drift you can end up with very different lineanges of the same strain.

I have to disagree with this one.

Surely if there's any diversity in a strain different genes will be selected for in an outdoor vs an indoor environment. Eventually due to genetic drift you can end up with very different lineanges of the same strain.
I think you misunderstood my words. When I say the same plants I mean identical individuals crossed inside verses outdoors e.g. Clone A x Clone B indoors and clone A x clone B outdoors.

Both will result in identical genetics. The environmental stresses placed on the plants outdoors have no bearing on the outcome of the cross as the genes passed to the progeny will be the same regardless of environment.

Cheers

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I think you misunderstood my words. When I say the same plants I mean identical individuals crossed inside verses outdoors e.g. Clone A x Clone B indoors and clone A x clone B outdoors.

Both will result in identical genetics. The environmental stresses placed on the plants outdoors have no bearing on the outcome of the cross as the genes passed to the progeny will be the same regardless of environment.

Cheers

Yeah, that makes sense to me now. There are epigenetic factors involved though, like genes switching on or off due to environmental factors or stress but no one knows how that plays out yet. It's all part of the aclimatization scheme which usually takes several generations to manifest.

S

sourpuss

Cheers

This is correct but outdoors there can be a natural selection. Survival of the fittest. Which can lead to adaptation thrpugh future generations...

This is correct but outdoors there can be a natural selection. Survival of the fittest. Which can lead to adaptation thrpugh future generations...
Of course, but this will only occur in a population left to survive in a natural environment without assistance or interference. Over time the "fittest" genes will be those that successfully reproduce through many generations in that environment. If a population of plants are tended to outdoors, the only selection which can occur is a conscious selection by the grower.

djimb

Veteran
Of course, but this will only occur in a population left to survive in a natural environment without assistance or interference. Over time the "fittest" genes will be those that successfully reproduce through many generations in that environment. If a population of plants are tended to outdoors, the only selection which can occur is a conscious selection by the grower.

It's true that selection by the grower would be the strongest pressure on a population outdoors, but phenotypic expression is dependent on environmental factors, so while the grower' s selection criteria may be the same indoors or out, they will likely select different individuals in either environment.

Let's say one of your criteria is a compact habit. A plant That's compact outdoors might stretch more under lights, and even then, different lights produce different amounts of stretch. Similarly, a plant that stays nicely compact indoors might be unacceptably runty outdoors.

So regardless of what a grower selects for, environmental pressure still exists, and will play a role in which plants get selected to continue the line or breed with.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I think you guys are going round ‘n round with some of this discussion. Plants from clone A and clone B that are grown and crossed in either environment will end up with same genetic mix. There is no selection, other than crossing those plants to begin with. Selections made from plants grown in the different environments may be affected by what is expressed.