What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Incredible Selfing in a Wild Animal Species

led05

Chasing The Present
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/science/mutant-crayfish-clones-europe.html

I wasn't sure where to post this but found it extremely interesting and relevant in ways.

The fact this crawfish cloned itself and has not only survived but thrived from an incredible mutation everywhere it goes is remarkable, at least for now... The likely origin is also very interesting in its potential similarities to how we've controlled this plant indoors.

what mutations and potential lies out there, amaZing... !

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Parthenogenesis.

Lots of critters do it, amazing ability as a last resort for propagation.

The first crayfish parthenogenesis noted around 1991, but the
mechanism is eons old.

Good thread!

led05

Chasing The Present
Parthenogenesis.

Lots of critters do it, amazing ability as a last resort for propagation.

The first crayfish parthenogenesis noted around 1991, but the
mechanism is eons old.

Good thread!

Are you sure that lots of animals as advanced as a crayfish do this and produce all female offspring indefinitely for all future off-springs? Also the cloning themselves and becoming infertile via reproduction of the Males? Were they all Triploid too, including offspring, every single one of them? Do you know or have any examples of other animals doing this? I think what your referencing is different.

I find this very interesting and haven't heard of any recent examples that are similar, I thought this to be a very unique and recent mutation in history unfolding before our eyes.

Thanks

seems quite different to me...

Parthenogenesis occurs naturally in some plants, some invertebrate animal species (including nematodes, water fleas, some scorpions, aphids, some mites, some bees, some Phasmida and parasitic wasps) and a few vertebrates (such as some fish,[4] amphibians, reptiles[5][6] and very rarely birds[7]). This type of reproduction has been induced artificially in a few species including fish and amphibians.[8]
Normal egg cells form after meiosis and are haploid, with half as many chromosomes as their mother's body cells. Haploid individuals, however, are usually non-viable, and parthenogenetic offspring usually have the diploid chromosome number. Depending on the mechanism involved in restoring the diploid number of chromosomes, parthenogenetic offspring may have anywhere between all and half of the mother's alleles. The offspring having all of the mother's genetic material are called full clones and those having only half are called half clones. Full clones are usually formed without meiosis. If meiosis occurs, the offspring will get only a fraction of the mother's alleles since crossing over of DNA takes place during meiosis, creating variation

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
I've raised Daphnia from ephippia (resting eggs) for pet fish and they all begin as females.
They give live birth to only females initially. Only when water conditions go bad and/or in
late Fall do males get produced for breeding to create a new batch of ephippia which then
overwinter in the bottom of ponds in the mud. In Spring, the cycle starts over.

Like this:

500px-DaphniaMagna_LifeCycle_DVizoso.svg.png

ch2f9.jpg

ch2f9.jpg

ch2f9.jpg

grayeyes

Reminds me of a plant I am presently growing. Up under the flowers or in one case on the very top I found pollen balls. The damned thing was very sneaky at hiding the balls under the flowers. It then tried to dust everyone all on its own.

Gotta watch these sneaky hermis. I won't mention the strain as I am testing it for a grower.

Latest posts

Latest posts