What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

User Friendly Recipes

thailer

Seems like I could cut that KIS with some of this high-end 1:1:1 base mix I have in abundance around here to bring the cost & nitrogen levels down to something manageable...thank you guys, you've truly given me a bunch of ideas to test & compare results/cost (my equation for deciding the utility of gardening inputs).

on a regular vigor, medium yielding plant that was vegged in a 20 gallon for 2-3 months and then flipped and ran 10-11 weeks, it was still green at harvest. Another one ran 12 weeks and it did fade the last two weeks. i would just leave out one third of the mix and replace it with base soil.

KIS sells large nutrient packs and then smaller packs. one of the large packs make a cubic yard of soil. he has mixing instructions on his website saying that the base soil mix is 2:1:1 peat:compost:perlite so it is 50% peat moss and i think it ends up saving you the cost of purchasing 2 bags of compost just by making the base soil a different ratio. i actually really like it over using the base soil mix of 1:1:1 which i think drys out rather quickly. i think this holds moisture a lot easier and longer.

i reammended my KIS soil with coots' recipe for the second round in one pot and another i just left to see if i should reammend instead before flower.

kamyo

Veteran
Hi, friend. So I'm also fairly lazy for now and wanted to get something up & running without hunting down a grocery list of 20 ingredients. So I had some Light Warrior and Ocean Forest laying around, but any peat/ewc or compost mix would probably work here. Picked up some ewc, perlite, and Fox Farm Jump Start. Mixed it all together at about 50/30/20 soil/perlite/ewc. Totally eyeballed everything except the fertilizer. Around 1 cup fertilizer per 10 gallons of mix, but this is with a fairly light fertilizer.

Nothing has died yet, so I guess that's good. This isn't a great mix by any means, but my point is that this is a fairly simple mix upon which you can start to tweak here & there. Within a year or two, I'll probably have my mix dialed in, but it won't happen overnight and there's no reason to go out and have 10 boxes of various meals and guanos laying around for something I'm not sure I'll want in the future.

I suggest that you take a look at Moonshineman's mix, so it takes this approach (premixex FF stuff). I went way off track from his recipe, but who knows - if it works, it works. Make adjustments on the next mix and move on.

Latest posts

Latest posts