What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spray for mites, oil, detergent, fermented compost, soil microorganisms?

Rico Swazi

If you have any compost piles look for rove beetles hanging and looking for bugs. If there are lots you might catch some and locate them to your plants. These were just the best pest destroyers for me.

Looked under the compost and didn't see any rove but I did find this on a yarrow flower this morn

picture.php

Rico Swazi

Just took this pic of the problem and the solution
My point being sprays are not needed as much as you think

grow companion plants and see for yourself

This is on that same nettle plant in the 5gal

picture.php

chompin down on aphid young
picture.php

on an adult
picture.php

another aphid gets munched
picture.php

Last edited:

Rico Swazi

tough room and I get it, a bit too macho to let a girly bug do it, lol I am willing to bet a good portion of you are sitting there with itchy trigger fingers wanting to bust out the new super soakers and kill kill kill !!!, Well, I am a card carrying member too so I did the same with those dreaded cabbage aphids/ plant lice . One of the few garden pests that beneficials don't overcome easily or in a timely fashion IME.

Had to resort to using a homemade insecticidal soap to save the brassica. I use it only in extreme cases as it is deadly to pest and beneficial insects alike. The reason why it is very important to check for the good guys before going after the bad guys.
Can be phytotoxic, best to spray morning or evening , top to bottom on cloudy days or lights out. Search for an insecticidal soap recipe that works for you with what you have available. A Dawn and horticultural oil mixture works as well as a murphy's oil and dr bronners castille soap though the latter is considered less inorganic. Choose yer poison as you will, but please be selective and responsible with it and any other pesticide that effects a broad spectrum of insects.

some info on horticultural oils to use with your choice of soap
https://ipm.uconn.edu/documents/raw2/html/831.php?aid=831.

last thing, I added a couple more pics to the post above to show my preferred method and that is to let mamma natural take care of the problem. Otherwise, I'll go with a homemade soap and oil mixture with the super soaker set from stun to kill.
Good luck with the fight