What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

problem - Cob Led 200w don't turn off completly

V

Vescovo

Hi guys, it's my firts time writing on the international forum, i usually write on the italian forum, but i don't found a solution, sorry for my bad english, i try to explicate what's the problem.

I recently bought an aftermarket cob led 200w bought on the e-bay, a single cob led that make 200w full spectre light i placed in a microcab (if is usefull i can post some picture of the led and of the microcab).
I'm not sure of when this problem started, but i seen that when the led must be turned off it still make a very low light, think not of good in the flowering phase...

Turning it off the power button of the led it stop.
I check it trying with another timer, another electric line, but the problem seem to be of the cob led.

Is this happened to someone else here?
How can i resolve this problem?
Thank you guys!

budlover123

I know it's hard to see in flower, but are you sure they don't turn off completely in 5 minutes after you first turn them off? I don't know if these COB LED packages have capacitors or something in them, but 50-watt LEDs I've tested often glow a little while after they are powered off, usually no more than 5 minutes.

Probably more likely is the drivers having capacitors in them that take a while to fully discharge, not sure how you would fix that besides waiting it out for them to shut down completely.

V

Vescovo

Hi OGmolton, thank you for answer
Yes, the cob led glow till the end of night phase, i will try to use a relay between timer and led

Stay tuned

Dion

hi,

i understand this has been answered but id just like to add some info
i had this same problem with my first diy led only it didnt stop even after hours.

i searched through electrical forums and found this to be a common problem with led installations which have more than 1 on/off switch/dimmer.

because we run lights through timers and drivers it can effect ours too.

the solution(makes no sense to me at all) is to turn the plug around 180 degrees,

i mean plug it in the other way, and your timer too, keep switching it around until u find a combination(ie plug down timer up, timer and plug up, timer up plug down etc) which stops the after glow.
it only happened on one of my panels, the solution was timer up plug down

minttu

If the LED won't turn off then there is current running through it. Please describe your setup or if possible take couple of pics and someone may be able to help you.

If you have mechanical relay then it is either broken or you are running very high voltages. If you have SSR then it may be broken because they usually have very very high resistance when off, and only miniscule amount of current can pass.

If you use SSR you could add bleed resistor to ground after the SSR which would burn off the current as heat so it wouldn't get to the LED.

V

Vescovo

Hi guys, thank you for answers.

I solved the problem placing a relay (don't know if is the correct english name of the elettrical component that in italy we call "relè") between the elettronic timer and the lamp. It block completly the current passing when the timer switch off.

I never ear about the plug turning, it's a strange solution, but it's pretty cheap and i'm curious to try!

The microcab is a 36x39 x 64h obtained from an old cabinet
The light is a 200w cob led full spectrum, outlabel, it run good
The air outtake is a 23w centrifugal fan
Passive air intake
Mylar covering inside
Strain is a Dance World by RQS
For ground i used a mix of universal ground
Some pics of the microcab:

If you have also some suggestion for my microcab i'm glad to ear you.
Thank you again guys