What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fermenting, burying, traditional curing.

Rinse

Veteran
In Malawi and other parts of Africa, the traditional curing method is fermentation based, wherein chlorophyll eating-bacteria are accelerated by wrapping the herb tightly in corn husk and either leaving in the sun, burying in warm earth, or cow dung so I've heard, among other methods. This method of removing chlorophyll is superior to the western burp jar method, which is still a bacterial process but to a lesser extent - it doesn't actually ferment the weed.
Many say the ferment-cure produces super smooth, earthy, and extra powerful smoke, and I agree.

I have very limited knowledge of this method and wondering if anyone can fill me in. Or better yet have direct experience of the method.

I have found the following tutorial online but it is not very detailed.
Originally from skunk magazine:

"Materials:
1) plastic 60 gallon trash can

2) 9 cubic feet of dirt

3) cornhusks

4) 1/2 ounce Malawi or equiv. Amount of sativa ( immediately following harvest buds should be hung dry as normal.
5) hemp fiber or twine

Process:

1) Cut or drill drainage holes in bottom of can. Fill trashcan 25% with dirt.

2) place the 1/2 ounce in the corn husk.

3) roll the herb back and forth in the corn husk ( somewhat like rolling a joint) compressing it into a cylindrical shape.
4) tightly wrap husks in the twine applying even more pressure to the herb.

5) place cobs on top of dirt in trash can and cover them with remaining 75% dirt.

Once per month pour a half a gallon of water on top of dirt. ( don't worry if weeds grow just pull em)
"

I have heard a more extreme method of curing is to starve a goat, and feed it your prime buds. Goats, being herbivore's, have a fermentation based digestion, unlike a carnivores which is putrification based. The "nug manure" that proceeds is supposedly the finest and most powerful of herbs.

Also in Afghanistan and Pakistan buds (or resin powder I never remember which) are packed into the skin of a goat or sheep and buried, clearly a ferment based cure.

"Indiginous" cultures often have more advanced methods of preparing plants than western societies. What may seem like a pointless, or primitive practice is actually based in logic and science. For example we mainly eat our grains unfermented, in yeast filled bread, noodles and pasta. indiginous peoples always go to lengths to ferment their grain, this removes many harmful compounds and makes them easier to digest.

Nobody likes that fresh green flavour and uneven burning of un-cured weed, but when we cure without the correct level of bacteria, we are still leaving much of it in.
Bright green shiny nugs have become the in demand product, when they are actually the inferior product in terms of smoke quality.

I have some sativa buds that I may turn into "Malawi cobs" or other method of ferment-cure.
Now they've been dried and in mason jars for almost a month, so hope its not too late to initiate the fermentation?

How can I go about turning green, chlorophyll saturated nugs into dark mellow hashy smoke.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Can't wait to see your results and hear your opinion between the fermented and burped buds.

Are you going to do a side by side?

sounds very interesting

Priest The Inde

I have smoked Malawi cobs. The end results are absolutely amazing. If you check in the Africa forum, there are some guys from South Africa who seem to have a pretty good handle on the process.
GoodLuck.
Preist.

I've been curious about this since I read a thread on making your own cobs back in OG days. Will be cool to see the homemade version. You gonna pee on'em?

T

TribalSeeds

Fermenting also called sweating, This is the process by which ammonia is released from the leaf to make it sociable. It can be done by heaping the tobacco into large piles called pylons that raise the temperature and humidity or by use of a kiln with a heater and humidifier. Under the raised temperature and humidity enzymes in the leaf cause it to ferment. It is not necessary to spray a fermenting solution on the leaf as some suggest the enzymes will do it naturally. Sometimes this is also referred to as curing.
This system of maturing leaf came from the days when tobacco was shipped by sail. The ship would sit in port for a few weeks, very humid and bails stacked tight together. When the tobacco reached it's destination it was found to smell and taste sweeter. You could use the curing chamber for this job after the initial curing, cut back the heat and humidity and close off the flu but keep the small fan running.

Fermenting: There are two methods of fermenting, stacking and kiln fermenting.

The stacking method is used by large growers, stacks of tobacco weighing around 100 lbs are wrapped in burlap and allowed to "sweat" the internal temp is closely monitored and when it reaches 140 degrees the stack is broken down to release tar, ammonia, and nicotine, the stack is torn down and rebuilt several times until the temp will no longer reach 110 degrees, the stems are stripped and stacked in a cooler place (65 degrees to age for a time 6 weeks to 6 years).

Kiln fermenting is what the smaller grower must use if he or she wants to smoke any time soon, the kiln is a small-insulated container with an artificial heat source that helps to simulate the fermentation, the leaves are placed in the kiln with the lid shut heat and humidity are carefully controlled (temp 100 to 130 degrees and 65 to 70% humidity) the kiln is left on 24 hours a day, kiln fermenting lasts about 4 to 6 weeks, the relative humidity must be carefully maintained during this time, a short aging period will follow of 4 to 6 weeks or longer until the leaves can either be rolled into cigars or cut for cigarette pipe or chewing tobacco.

Remember aging will always improve a tobacco, and any tobacco leaves can be kiln cured if it has been properly stored (humidity no lower than 50% to 65%). Smoking uncured tobacco is unpleasant and dangerous as the nicotine and ammonia contained can be fatally high, not to mention it will taste like your smoking leaves from your front yard.

Rinse

Veteran
Can't wait to see your results and hear your opinion between the fermented and burped buds.

Are you going to do a side by side?

sounds very interesting

Yes Im going to do a side by side, Im wondering if its too late to begin a ferment cure with my buds, but I have read that in Africa they sun dry the buds before burying so that's reassuring.

I have attempted to use corn husk but they fronds come apart and dry out making it hard to work wit, Im thinking moist herb wrapped in a paper bag in a warm place will do the job. I wouldnt want to risk burying it with the rains we get here.

Rinse

Veteran
I have smoked Malawi cobs. The end results are absolutely amazing. If you check in the Africa forum, there are some guys from South Africa who seem to have a pretty good handle on the process.
GoodLuck.
Preist.

Cheers I will check it out.

I've been curious about this since I read a thread on making your own cobs back in OG days. Will be cool to see the homemade version. You gonna pee on'em?

I'm open to the idea lol

Fermenting also called sweating, This is the process by which ammonia is released from the leaf to make it sociable. It can be done by heaping the tobacco into large piles called pylons that raise the temperature and humidity or by use of a kiln with a heater and humidifier. Under the raised temperature and humidity enzymes in the leaf cause it to ferment. It is not necessary to spray a fermenting solution on the leaf as some suggest the enzymes will do it naturally. Sometimes this is also referred to as curing.
This system of maturing leaf came from the days when tobacco was shipped by sail. The ship would sit in port for a few weeks, very humid and bails stacked tight together. When the tobacco reached it's destination it was found to smell and taste sweeter. You could use the curing chamber for this job after the initial curing, cut back the heat and humidity and close off the flu but keep the small fan running.

Fermenting: There are two methods of fermenting, stacking and kiln fermenting.

The stacking method is used by large growers, stacks of tobacco weighing around 100 lbs are wrapped in burlap and allowed to "sweat" the internal temp is closely monitored and when it reaches 140 degrees the stack is broken down to release tar, ammonia, and nicotine, the stack is torn down and rebuilt several times until the temp will no longer reach 110 degrees, the stems are stripped and stacked in a cooler place (65 degrees to age for a time 6 weeks to 6 years).

Kiln fermenting is what the smaller grower must use if he or she wants to smoke any time soon, the kiln is a small-insulated container with an artificial heat source that helps to simulate the fermentation, the leaves are placed in the kiln with the lid shut heat and humidity are carefully controlled (temp 100 to 130 degrees and 65 to 70% humidity) the kiln is left on 24 hours a day, kiln fermenting lasts about 4 to 6 weeks, the relative humidity must be carefully maintained during this time, a short aging period will follow of 4 to 6 weeks or longer until the leaves can either be rolled into cigars or cut for cigarette pipe or chewing tobacco.

Remember aging will always improve a tobacco, and any tobacco leaves can be kiln cured if it has been properly stored (humidity no lower than 50% to 65%). Smoking uncured tobacco is unpleasant and dangerous as the nicotine and ammonia contained can be fatally high, not to mention it will taste like your smoking leaves from your front yard.

Great info, Im pretty sure I can simulate those humidity and temperatures by wrapping the herb in paper bags and adding strips of fresh sweet potatoe for humidity.

Great info, Im pretty sure I can simulate those humidity and temperatures by wrapping the herb in paper bags and adding strips of fresh sweet potatoe for humidity.

Hmmm,interesting...the tutorial in the african forum suggests burying the cob three quarters of the way in a trash can/bucket of soil.
But hey,the bacteria shouldn't mind. Darkness,moisture,some organic matter and anaerobic conditions will get the job done. And you wont have to hide it from/annoy any significant others with a bucket of dirt and weed:biggrin:

Rinse

Veteran
Hmmm,interesting...the tutorial in the african forum suggests burying the cob three quarters of the way in a trash can/bucket of soil.
But hey,the bacteria shouldn't mind. Darkness,moisture,some organic matter and anaerobic conditions will get the job done. And you wont have to hide it from/annoy any significant others with a bucket of dirt and weed:biggrin:

Im still open to the cob burying, but would have to be indoors, its 7 celcius and pouring rain outside.
So yes I could fill a small bucket with live organic soil that would fit in the boiler room.

Why not do both? I'd do a few grams in a couple of ways. Like for example,I'd love to try fermenting it with molasses to make my own canna-shisha.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
When I make my next batch of super soil and have some extra meds done I want to toss some in the trash cans full of soil and see the difference. How long should I leave them in to ferment?

I also would love to do this with some dry sift hash and see what happens just to see and also want to do some buds that were rolled in dry sift and coated with trichs before being buried.

This is new to me so I am off to research the internet to locate more info on this and those who are currently doing this, their opinions, smoke reports etc.

benzo

Cool ! I got gifted a bunch of old rez Dsd from last year's outdoors harvest. Was green at first but after jar curing for 12 months its Brown. Looks like the herb the op posted. I bet this technique does it faster tho..

Rinse

Veteran
Why not do both? I'd do a few grams in a couple of ways. Like for example,I'd love to try fermenting it with molasses to make my own canna-shisha.

Half the buds were wrapped tight in paper bags with pieces of sweet potatoe and apple for humidity, at about 27-30c, it was not a good idea to have the veg touching the herb material as it would leave a wet patch, I had trouble maintaining humidity as the paper would breathe a lot. I have a cheap humidity and temp gauge and it seems 60-70% humidity is perfect, anything above 70 is too wet. Due to the fluctuations in humidity I abandoned the paper bag method and put half the buds wrapped in a cob, and half in jars, at the same temperature, the cob has not been buried yet will do that soon. I sampled some of the stuff that came out of the paper bags and it seemed a little smoother, so I think its on the right track.

The molasses cure sounds interesting, do you anything about the process?

When I make my next batch of super soil and have some extra meds done I want to toss some in the trash cans full of soil and see the difference. How long should I leave them in to ferment?

I also would love to do this with some dry sift hash and see what happens just to see and also want to do some buds that were rolled in dry sift and coated with trichs before being buried.

This is new to me so I am off to research the internet to locate more info on this and those who are currently doing this, their opinions, smoke reports etc.

Could be awesome with resin powder, or moist buds coated with resin powder and wrapped tight in a cob, letting the resin slowly be absorbed by the bud while fermenting. I'm not sure how long the fermentation takes as Ive heard conflicting times, anywhere from one month to 2 years, Im guessing the longer you leave it the darker it will go, first dark green then progressively darker with golds sometimes appearing.

Cool ! I got gifted a bunch of old rez Dsd from last year's outdoors harvest. Was green at first but after jar curing for 12 months its Brown. Looks like the herb the op posted. I bet this technique does it faster tho..

Sounds good did you try any?

Here is some "pu erh", Chinese fermented tea
Pu%20Erh%20Tea%20-%20Shu%20Ripe%20Dark%20-%20Pu%20in%20Aromatic%20Bamboo%20Stick%20-%201.jpg
sfgy-2.jpg

Green Sky

ok,

I am only posting this to pose a question/observation (which is probably contrary to science and logic), but,,,

I was told a few years ago by a SO.Afrikaan snowboard Instructor here in VT) that the reason cannabis ( in So Africa ) was buried was two-fold.

Reason #1 -- It's ILLEGAL!!! He said there is the death penalty for weed down there. SO you bury it... can't leave it hanging around smelling eh?

Reason #2 -- It's TOO ARID. Plants would dry in a matter of a day or two in that heat/ low humidity, so it's buried to slow down the drying and curing...

what do you guys think?

Half the buds were wrapped tight in paper bags with pieces of sweet potatoe and apple for humidity, at about 27-30c, it was not a good idea to have the veg touching the herb material as it would leave a wet patch, I had trouble maintaining humidity as the paper would breathe a lot. I have a cheap humidity and temp gauge and it seems 60-70% humidity is perfect, anything above 70 is too wet. Due to the fluctuations in humidity I abandoned the paper bag method and put half the buds wrapped in a cob, and half in jars, at the same temperature, the cob has not been buried yet will do that soon. I sampled some of the stuff that came out of the paper bags and it seemed a little smoother, so I think its on the right track.

The molasses cure sounds interesting, do you anything about the process?

I'm digging how methodical you are,brother. I have some little RH gauges on the way from eBay to use in my jars,so I might just follow your experiments,depending on results of course....

On the molasses cure : Nah,no idea,I've just gotten way into smoking cannabis,especially keef in a hookah,but I'm trying my best to get off tobacco so...no more shisha for me.
I think the traditional method is to cure the tobacco first and then adding the fruit infused molasses,but hey...it's already an anaerobic process so I don't think curing it in molasses could hurt anything.I don't think it would be at any higher risk of mould forming with the molasses either....quite the conatrary. I may be wrong,though. Hell,I'm probably wrong as a matter of fact. This warrants some further research and/or a small-scale testing. I'll get back to you on that.

ps. cobbing the weed up with some dry-sift sounds AMAZING. That's some canna-cognac right there.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I'm into trying this, as I grew up smoking lots of imported weed in the 70's
that had varying degrees of fermentation. a few years back I was in
the Caribbean I found this killer example in Barbados that was sold
to me as Jamaican. usa hydro nug on right.
picture.php

you only get that color when you have long slow with heat activity.
this stuff was super bricked, all seeds cracked. it was far darker than
the average island herb. you would see this occasionally in the 70's
in the states.

whenever we would get thai weed after they quit putting it on the
sticks it would look like this also. we called it untied thai. that was
maybe '80, '81?

the buds in the picture smoked as strong as I remember that thai
being. I was all over central america and the islands and this was
the only thing I found down there that would compare to top shelf
cali medical grade. and it was seeded.:)

that description from the tobacco curing website sounds good.
I'm thinking that it might work to do a typical Simon style cure
with the jars kept at controlled higher temps. perhaps using a water
bath? or maybe a food dehydrator? I think it's a question of control
of the heat for proper fermentation. humidity controlled with a gauge and burping.

I think that part of the magic is that the compression changes
the qualities as well.

Rinse

Veteran
ok,

I am only posting this to pose a question/observation (which is probably contrary to science and logic), but,,,

I was told a few years ago by a SO.Afrikaan snowboard Instructor here in VT) that the reason cannabis ( in So Africa ) was buried was two-fold.

Reason #1 -- It's ILLEGAL!!! He said there is the death penalty for weed down there. SO you bury it... can't leave it hanging around smelling eh?

Reason #2 -- It's TOO ARID. Plants would dry in a matter of a day or two in that heat/ low humidity, so it's buried to slow down the drying and curing...

what do you guys think?

It would be highly unlikely to get death penalty for a cobs worth, or even larger amounts in most parts of Africa, but it is definitely illegal. Most drying is done near the farms so there is a ton of weed around anyway, it would be interesting to hear of large scale bud burying though, that could really accelerate the fermentation.
The second reason is more straight forward, definitely the burying allows for a very small exchange of air so the weed dries nice and slow.

I'm digging how methodical you are,brother. I have some little RH gauges on the way from eBay to use in my jars,so I might just follow your experiments,depending on results of course....

The hard part will be patience, hopefully I can restrain from smoking until it is ready.

I'm into trying this, as I grew up smoking lots of imported weed in the 70's
that had varying degrees of fermentation. a few years back I was in
the Caribbean I found this killer example in Barbados that was sold
to me as Jamaican. usa hydro nug on right.
View Image
you only get that color when you have long slow with heat activity.
this stuff was super bricked, all seeds cracked. it was far darker than
the average island herb. you would see this occasionally in the 70's
in the states.

whenever we would get thai weed after they quit putting it on the
sticks it would look like this also. we called it untied thai. that was
maybe '80, '81?

the buds in the picture smoked as strong as I remember that thai
being. I was all over central america and the islands and this was
the only thing I found down there that would compare to top shelf
cali medical grade. and it was seeded.:)

Nice pic, Brown Thai can still be found for a decent price, highly doubt it is the same quality as the 80's stuff but it is resinous, its open for debate whether it is actually Thai, but Im told the large bits come wrapped with Thai tatoos and writing.

KronosLab

This reminds me of a method I first learned about in an underground comic book called "Dr Atomic's Pipe and Dope Book" that came out in the mid 1970s. I tried it back then and had good results. IIRC the process begins with a sweat cure. The plants are cut in the morning early, laid on the ground, and covered with a tarp. They are allowed to heat up in the sun for a day or two. Then the tarp is removed and the plants are gathered up. The branches are cut to lengths of 10 to 20 inches. These are then rolled up in thick rolls of newspapers, which are tied up with string. These log-like rolls of weed are then sun dried. Seems like we just put them in our cars and rolled up the windows, so the temperature inside that time of year was maybe 100 - 110 degrees F. After a few days the strings are cut and the paper logs unrolled. My recollection is that the flavor was greatly improved, and the color changed from dark green to light to medium brown.

Carraxe

Veteran
I'm trying to get something similar. I found the barrel / soil method quite messy, so I just developed a similar one, learning from the tobacco manufacturers videos on the youtube.

I moisturized some amount (about 50g) of dried sativa buds. I put them inside a closed plastic bag, wrapped the bag inside a black plastic cloth and set the plastic bag inside a mason jar over a electrical heater. This heater works all day at its minimum, so I've got about 40ºC inside the plastic bag.

I plan to open weekly to ventilate and check if it needs more water. In a month I expect to compare with normally cured weed, I've some left from the same one.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts