What's new

Offered job at local hydro shop.

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
Not to get into much detail but I could land a gig at a local hydro store of which there are not many around in my non-med state.

I dont really ever go to a retail local, except in a pinch, and even then not in my car and its in and out. Hell I'm not really even looking for a job, on sabbatical from my other life, but the guy got talking home brew and I know both sides of the store...brewing and growing. And well he just about pushed me to apply.

Sounds like it could be some easy, fun, clean money......but whats the down side?

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
if you grow currently, (or do anything illegal for that matter) this would be a bad idea.

R

rick shaw

You don't sound like you want to work.
So the down side would be having to show up on time,clean shaved and smelling like soap.

A

Aerokush101

obvious down sides, but plenty of upsides... if you talk too much and only you and the people who know you can tell you that then, no.. but if you know who to talk to and know how to conduct yourself, skies the limit, go to work, it might actually help your growing skills. I don't know how much you grow but that is a question to be asked. If you make significantly more money growing then a job will hinder you from your career.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You don't sound like you want to work.
So the down side would be having to show up on time,clean shaved and smelling like soap.

NO ONE at my hydro store looks or smells that good Rick.....lol....I'm lucky if they show up withing 30 minutes of their posted opening times!

SmilinBob

The upside is the governments going to take your money every week.

The upside is you already know leo watches that spot for people buying supplies. You think they disregard the employees?

The upside is you might have some crappy insurance that has a $150 copay. They might cover glasses, but they don't cover eye exams..

The downside.. waking up to go and being told what to do.

Putting up with people's bullshit. People who would normally get pushed in front of a car if they tried that shit somewhere else. Just so you have have $300 at the end of the week.

All the speeding tickets you're going to get trying to get to subway and back before your 30 minutes is up. Just so you don't get another warning, and get wrote up because you suck at your job.

Ok, maybe some of that is hypothetical.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well,

don't ever do something because of money.. do it because you love it. life's to short to do things you don't like

vta

Veteran
If you grow in a non-med state....working at a hydro shop, I feel, would be a major and I mean major security risk.

Euphrates

I am pretty positive I know the store in which you speak of - I would go for it - I'd love to work there .

Working at any hydro store would be awesome - You can learn allot, but would mostly be a hobby job.

People above are probably correct in saying it being a risk to your security if your doing whatever - I actually didn't think of that, but still I would want to work there.

DevilWeed

If you want to do that type of thing, go for it. I can see it being fun. As far as learning, I usually learn more in 10 mins of searching/reading IC than I've ever learned in the hydro shops around me.

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
All good input people.

The first thing on my mind was the security risk, which pretty much out ways all the rest.

It's a shame to because I enjoy working with people and have some good help to offer. The paycheck would have been a nice bonus at tax time.....but I'm not sure I could sleep at night worrying about the rest.

D

driftersmokinjo

The only hydro store I have ever been inside of is sorta stealth. My father inlaw makes his own wine. 1 day I went with him to pick up supplies. Imagine my surprise when we walk inside and right before my very eyes is a flood table with a hydrofarm light hanging over it. Get to looking around and the are also a hydro store :chin: Nothing on the store front suggest they are a hydro supply store. Everything on the store front says wine making and beer brewing supply's. That type of set up would throw leo off track big time unless they had a guy on the inside. I have no fear of going to this store to buy anything. The problem is they are a 300 mile round trip for me. Maybe I should look into opening 1 of these type stores in my area :chin:

crazybear

The only hydro store I have ever been inside of is sorta stealth. My father inlaw makes his own wine. 1 day I went with him to pick up supplies. Imagine my surprise when we walk inside and right before my very eyes is a flood table with a hydrofarm light hanging over it. Get to looking around and the are also a hydro store :chin: Nothing on the store front suggest they are a hydro supply store. Everything on the store front says wine making and beer brewing supply's. That type of set up would throw leo off track big time unless they had a guy on the inside. I have no fear of going to this store to buy anything. The problem is they are a 300 mile round trip for me. Maybe I should look into opening 1 of these type stores in my area :chin:

I doubt leo is fooled, by selling beer & wine supplies & also just so happen to sell grow supplies! I wouldn't doubt at least one cop makes wine or beer or knows somebody that does! But on the original question, it depends on sometimes what you look like if your clean cut & don't act like a "stoner" & keep your mouth shut about your grow & only talk about growing from a legal standpoint you might be okay! But it's still a risk especially if you grow!:wave:

D

driftersmokinjo

Crazyber you are right about leo not being fooled. My point was that the store main business is wine and brewing. So they have w variety of costumers. Not just those that are growing something. There's almost no way they could know if you were buying wine/beer supply's or grow supply's unless they had an inside man. But my post is kinda off topic. To the OP. I would go for it and just keep a low profile. :tiphat:

G

Groseph

I wouldnt risk is unless you are small scale and really want to work there.

I know I sure wouldnt want to behind a hydro store counter and then having friends, or whoever walk in to be surprised who is now working at the grow shop. Newbies are going to assume you have the best most awesome grow ever brah!! lol... its your job to help them get setup.. and then they know you know a lot about this shit.

That being said if they dont know where you live and you never show your garden I dont really see how it could be too dangerous.

- -

In regards to LEO watching shops and more specifically the employees.. how does that go about? What at that point is probable cause for a warrant seeing your employeed by the shop and in the industry. Its all bullshit they can even get a warrant for anything related to these products in the 1st place. I dont see how a lawyer couldnt get it all tossed out in the event of a bust.

..you seen me leaving the hydro store? Ya... cuz I work there.
..growing supplies in my vehicle and observed taking into house? Ya.. I gotta know what I'm trying to sell.. I have a small hobby hydro setup growing veggies.

If nothing illegal ever hits the trash and you never show or confirm to anyone that you are growing anything illegal then what do they have...on what grounds could they get a warrant.

I know it wouldnt play out this way in real life..but its all bullshit. These products are all legal and I should be able to have bright ass HPS light blasting out of my curtains ..and without any real evidence of the species of plant I'm growing... none of it should be grounds for a warrant.

- -

Dont think its a dream job. The guys at my local shop dont look like they are living the life at their dream job. They run around frantic, loading shelves, loading customers, and dealing with a lot of unintelligent morons looking to "grow the good stuff"... seems kinda stressful. Aside from that you'll start to let your guard down.. what most growers consider a no-no will become the norm for you. You'll get comfortable being "out there" and that cant be good.

toohighmf

Veteran
Grow Huge Hops in the front window "for decoration".. Brew up some beer and give it away to customers. Hops look like huge buds! I actually like the idea of a brew front.. hydro rear...

D

driftersmokinjo

Grow Huge Hops in the front window "for decoration".. Brew up some beer and give it away to customers. Hops look like huge buds! I actually like the idea of a brew front.. hydro rear...
The store I was in was growing tomato's under a 400w hydro farm. Nothing in the store said cannabis unless you already knew what you were looking at. The hops is a helluva idea though :tiphat:

toohighmf

Veteran
a brew shop should be taking things to the next level like hydro. true brewers should be xbreeding their own hops and barleys, to create their own brews, like strains.