What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving to Australia from the US.

M

michael68

Sup AU forum brothers, found out recently that I will be moving just outside of Brisbane for a few years with my parents due to their work. Rents are cannabis friendly although they don't partake themselves. I'm coming from Cali and the move will be this fall around September, we/my parents are still working everything out such as property and all. I'm 18 years old so I plan on taking some classes, still working everything out though and not sure how credits and all that will transfer.

To the point, any advice for a small backyard grow in AUS, genetics, methods, etc? And of course any general advice at all for an American living in AU? Any tips will be appreciated. :gday:

^ always wanted to use that smilie flag, lol.

dasher65

Hey Michael...you're gonna love Australia mate. Do yourself a favour and drop into OzStoners forum site. Just google Ozstoners &you'll find it there. A lot of us aussies swing between IcMag & OS. As for genetics...everyone has their preference. Remember...opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one!!!

M

michael68

Cheers, just registered there, I'll make a post. I plan on reading a lot about your country in general and of course the canna scene there, hopefully I can do some sight seeing too. :dance013:

C

CLOWD11

Hey yeah, lucky you!
Carefull with backyard grows, usually one of two things happen down under. The neighbor dobs you in or your neighbor steals your weed and smokes it in front of you claiming ignorance. They generally dont have fences between yards in most of QLD, i guess you will have to wait and see what your enviornment is before making plans around the house. Guerilla farming is popular in QLDs lush forests, theres a few threads in here on that from QLD. Become a citizen as soon as possible if you like the place, the US appears to be in decline in a number of ways, but you might have to pick sides if China and the US have a barney, i think our gov is positioning itself to fall in behind China if hell breaks out, but thats not a reflection on what us aussies want or think. Avoid VB(beer) and learn to smile when you eat vegemite lol
QLD has some of the best produce in Au, so we expect you to enjoy many bbqs with new found friends.

AfroSheep

I am who I am coz I is who I is.
Welcome to aussie friend, hope you enjoy your stay once you arrive.
Beware of the youth gangs and gun totting psycopaths...

M

michael68

Thanks for the info man. Yeah I love Cali and America but damn, Australia has always appealed to me a lot.

I've heard and read about the guerrilla scene around QLD and NSW, seems like some really good land for sure.

Xmas BBQ's and yummy produce sounds good to me heh.

E

Eatatjoes

You luck guy, Do your parents want another boy? I'm willing to be adopted :D Will work for AU citizenship.

Brushtail

Michael68, you will love Australia, a land of natural beauty!

I think CLOWN has said some very true words that ring true with most of the growing community. Heed them well. Australia has some fine herb, but alike to any part of the world there is also very very bad herb. It all depends on connections. The AU market consists of two varieties "bushies" or outdoor grown and "hydro" indoor grown, trade names are few and far between, good weed is good weed to a buyer. As for growing its a no brainer, the hardest part is security from the bacon crew and dog'ole rippers. Pick your friends, don't be a loud mouth and prepare for any eventuality.

pce
bt

Hey Michael,

Enjoy your stay here. Brisbane's climate is awesome most of the year save a few stinking hot humid weeks in summer and some bitterly cold westerly winds for a couple of weeks usually between August and October. Growing outdoors in the coastal south east can be a pain since it is so wet. I live north of Brisbane and 200mm (8inches) is a light shower! Mould can be difficult to control outdoors. Plenty of bugs and critters about that like a nibble too; possums being the most notable.

You'll love it here, get out an about and enjoy this beautiful part of the world!

westg

ICMag Donor
Welcome u r heading to a nice part of Oz.

Read up on the snakes, spiders n killer koalas before treking in the bush.

W

wilbur

you will ENJOY! it is like gaining FREEDOM! but you will have to learn the language of the common folk before you blend in ... like check the sheila over there ... too right mate, she's got big lungs, eh?

johnnybsmokin

Hey there michael68

You are moving to a great part of our country. Iv'e lived herein south east Qld for over 30 years and would not go any where else now. I live on the Gold Coast, about an hour south of where you will be moving to.

An out door grow will work out well if you are in the right area but if you have close neighbours it can be risky. The "Guerilla" growing may be a better option and a lot safer as well. Have you thought about an indoor grow??? could be another option.

Also there are no seed sellers here in Au so you will either have to bring them with you or order from over sea's and risk the customs.

All in all, a warm welcome to your arival and I'm sure you will get all the help you need from us "aussies", we are a friendly bunch.

Cheers Johnny:gday:

TopShelf

I am jealous micheal, I am a fellow american living in Florida (home of Kelly Slater), I am engaged to a beautiful girl from New Zealand and she says she has the right to work in Aussie , she has been there many times and says we should check out moving there, I love to surf and smoke good weed and the weather there seems agreeable not to mention the Aussies seem very friendly, maybe we will both get lucky..

SmokeyAu

Welcome to Aussie Michael, and good luc Oliver, Doctors should be able to get in easily into Oz. Brisbane- Gold Coast subtropical, Sydney subtropical more temperate and Melbourne temperate more.