What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bill Introduced To Legalize and Tax Marijuana

vta

Veteran
Bill Introduced To Legalize and Tax Marijuana

By Joanna Nolasco,
Source: Seattle Times

cannabis Seattle, WA -- As a 64-year-old woman with a grandchild, state Rep. Mary Lou Dickerson, D-Seattle, says she's not the type of person you would normally associate with marijuana. And yet Dickerson has again introduced legislation that would legalize, regulate and tax marijuana in Washington state.

"I believe that it's a smart way to raise badly needed revenue," said Dickerson, who chairs the House Health and Human Services Appropriations and Oversight Committee. "It also would at the same time mean that we can focus our law-enforcement efforts on more important things."

House Bill 1550, filed Tuesday, would regulate marijuana much like alcohol. It proposes that pot be sold through state liquor stores to adults age 21 and older, that the sales be taxed and that the state Liquor Control Board issue licenses to commercial growers. Most of the revenue would go to health care, and substance-abuse treatment and prevention.

The bill would also classify as felonies interstate transportation of marijuana and unauthorized transportation of marijuana within Washington above a certain amount.

Dickerson proposed a similar bill last year, but it failed in a House committee.

New provisions in this year's bill include authorizing the production of industrial hemp and allowing limited growing of marijuana at home for personal use.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Washington state supports the bill.

Rep. Christopher Hurst, D-Enumclaw, chairman of the House Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Committee, said he is willing to hold a hearing on the bill and to put it to a committee vote.

Hurst noted, however, that the bill runs counter to federal laws prohibiting marijuana sales.

Proponents say $400 million each biennium would be raised through cannabis sales and licensing fees. Hurst, however, said federal laws would prevent the state from keeping the money.

"That being said, I think states should regulate marijuana as opposed to the federal government," Hurst added.

Sen. Margarita Prentice, D-Renton, plans to introduce a companion bill to Dickerson's proposal in the state Senate.

Just read the bill and I have to say it sounds pretty good. Seems they have covered everything in it. Can't wait to see what happens with this.

If this happens to fail, don't worry too much, because Sensible Washington has just filed their new initiative. One of these will pass. I just know it.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^this is an exciting time. I guess just the introduction of prop 19 opened up the door for other people to feel politically safer to introduce legalization bills

budlover123

"It's always prop 19 somewhere" -Stephen Colbert

it's only a matter of time... do you think that nugs will taste sweeter when they're free?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
State owned liquor stores SELL MJ to any adult, while at the same time making it a FELONY for the same adult to drive around with "Too" much MJ; however that same adult may grow his own.

This sounds like a cluster fuck if I've ever seen one.

I will piss my pants with laughter when the DEA raids STATE OWNED BUSINESSES. Besides integrating schools in the south more than 50 years ago I can't remember the FEDS running rough shot over state owned property; but I can't see them sitting still as WA openly distributes rec MJ.

I hope this thing passes, but why do they need to make new felonies?

:joint:

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
.....New provisions in this year's bill include authorizing the production of industrial hemp and allowing limited growing of marijuana at home for personal use.......

Awesome!!! I know the devil is in the details, but allowing personal gardens is the way to go. :jump:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Awesome!!! I know the devil is in the details, but allowing personal gardens is the way to go. :jump:

And then still allow the pigs to arrest you as a felon if you drive off your land with your PERSONAL mj to share with your friends or to give to a person in need.

How is it that the state of WA may legally sell it to you but at the same time arrest you as a felon if you are in possession of a legal commodity?

The devil will be in the details and I can't wait to see one of the 50 states ACTIVELY committing felonies by breaking federal law.

Let the craziness begin!

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
And then still allow the pigs to arrest you as a felon if you drive off your land with your PERSONAL mj to share with your friends or to give to a person in need.....

Obviously your friends will need to come to you....silly rabbit. :)

BTW, you make new felonies to appease the federal gov. These are penalities that are already federally enforced.

ddrew

Veteran
The bill would also classify as felonies interstate transportation of marijuana and unauthorized transportation of marijuana within Washington above a certain amount.

Hydro, come on, it says over a certain amount, that amount might be 2 OZ, I don't know what it is specifically, but lets not start the routine we had with 19 and people saying that an OZ was just not enough for them to carry for personal use.
Support it, get it passed, and fine tune it down the line.

This kind of nit picking makes me think we will never get anything passed.

Nobody is going to pass a tax free, unlimited grow and carry law.
It's just not going to happen.

A little bit of something is better then all of nothing, and right now I have a big fat plate of nothing.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Hydro, come on, it says over a certain amount, that amount might be 2 OZ, I don't know what it is specifically, but lets not start the routine we had with 19 and people saying that an OZ was just not enough for them to carry for personal use.
Support it, get it passed, and fine tune it down the line.

This kind of nit picking makes me think we will never get anything passed.

Nobody is going to pass a tax free, unlimited grow and carry law.
It's just not going to happen.

A little bit of something is better then all of nothing, and right now I have a big fat plate of nothing.

I am fine with what WA is trying to do, I just hate hypocrisy. So watching the state monopolize the sale of liquor and then claiming the right to hold a monopoly on cannabis sales is just hilarious and makes me laugh.

I'll even ask my WA friends to vote for it, but the government still makes me laugh.

ddrew

Veteran
I am fine with what WA is trying to do, I just hate hypocrisy. So watching the state monopolize the sale of liquor and then claiming the right to hold a monopoly on cannabis sales is just hilarious and makes me laugh.

I'll even ask my WA friends to vote for it, but the government still makes me laugh.

I am to disgusted by our government to even laugh at them.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Obviously your friends will need to come to you....silly rabbit. :)
penalities that are already federally enforced.

air mattress sales will sky rocket when adults start having way more sleepovers with their pals after heavy toking setions. They never get old.

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
So watching the state monopolize the sale of liquor and then claiming the right to hold a monopoly on cannabis sales is just hilarious and makes me laugh.

Did you WA friends vote to remove control of liquor from the state last election? The voters in your state VOTED to keep the control of liquor in the state's hands!!!!

We are the goverment.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you think maybe it's talking about "pounds" that someone may be trying to transport?

State owned liquor stores SELL MJ to any adult, while at the same time making it a FELONY for the same adult to drive around with "Too" much MJ; however that same adult may grow his own.

This sounds like a cluster fuck if I've ever seen one.
I will piss my pants with laughter when the DEA raids STATE OWNED BUSINESSES. Besides integrating schools in the south more than 50 years ago I can't remember the FEDS running rough shot over state owned property; but I can't see them sitting still as WA openly distributes rec MJ.

I hope this thing passes, but why do they need to make new felonies?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Did you think maybe it's talking about "pounds" that someone may be trying to transport?

Does it matter if they transport lbs of Washington grown apples or WA grown cannabis? Why is a ton of apples OK on a truck but a ton of cannabis an issue for the state?

Sure it MAY be about some amount or the other, but if you can buy 10 cases of tequila from the store and be Kosher why can't you buy LBs?

And who gives a shit how you drive your tequila home from the state liquor store, or the Costco if you are lucky enough to live in a state where real businesses are allowed to sell hooch.

Like I said I am for WA moving forward, but hypocritical state run monopolies deserve to be ridiculed.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i agree with hydrosun..under current WA law you can have up to 1.5 LBs if you have your med card.

what is the new limit? if they are making anything over 2ozs a felony this bill is bullshit, just like every other semi legalization more regulation bullshit bill that has been introduced lately.

and selling out of liquor stores?? that sounds like a bunch of bullshit.....like some immigrant from india working the graveyard shift at 711 knows jack shit about weed to sell it to a patient.....implement dispensary system, regulate dispensaries and charge tax there, and get rid of the bullshit new felony for interstate transportation...and il tell my friends in WA to vote for it. other than that i think most of them like things the way they are....15 plants per patient 1.5 lb cured sounds pretty good to me!

If I remember correctly this bill says that you may have up to 1 lb of weed at any time. Anyone will be allowed to grow 15 plants. canopy of plants will be limited to 50 sq feet. (which imo is the most lame part of this bill)

Latest posts

Latest posts